• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retain the Monarchy in Canada?

Should we retain the monarchy?

• Total voters
Did I say something to offend?

Surely the difference in the geometry of blocks is trifling enough it can be treated cavalierly?

And where do you find all these nasty republican sites?

All this railing against tradition Infanteer, and next thing you know you will be promoting a single capbadge army with numbered battalions.  A VERY unCanadian, possibly even American notion.

Vive la difference.....

NO,NO,NO...DID I SAY NO? IMEANT TO SAY NO EFFING WAY DO WE RETAIN WASTES OF MONEY LIKE THE QUEEN &FAMILY,OR GOVGEN JUST BECAUSE OF TRADITION! THEY SERVE NO VISIBLY USEFUL PURPOSE OTHER THAN OVERSPENDING OUR MONEY...KINDA LIKE LIBERALS.LOSE EM' ASAP!!!

gunner56 said:
NO,NO,NO...DID I SAY NO? IMEANT TO SAY NO EFFING WAY DO WE RETAIN WASTES OF MONEY LIKE THE QUEEN &FAMILY,OR GOVGEN JUST BECAUSE OF TRADITION! THEY SERVE NO VISIBLY USEFUL PURPOSE OTHER THAN OVERSPENDING OUR MONEY...KINDA LIKE LIBERALS.LOSE EM' ASAP!!!

Wow, when you put it that eloquently, I'm sure people will just line up to agree with you.

:)O.K. Infanteer,Ididn't say that you had to agree.I'm just stating my opinion.Ain't democracy wonderful? I can agree to disagree any time I want.

Canuck_25 said:
Actually, i will quote a passage from my Law 12 book.

"In 1990, the ratification proces came to an abrupt end when Elijah Harper, a Cree, and a member of the Manitoba legislator, blocked debate of the accord by using the parliamentary process."

That was part of it, yes, but Newfoundland had that one killed regardless.  Cheers.

T

I did not read the whole thread yet... however, I do support the Cdn Monarchy. I believe that it does make us distinct to the Yanks, and it shows that the highest office in the land is not held by a politican. Also, it is a link to history because Canada has always been a monarchy.

As for HRH Prince William of Wales as GG, it could be a good idea that one day, the future King of Canada should act as our Governor General. Even though it is important that the role of GG be given to Canadians, the members of the Royal Family are Canadian too. The only problem having HRH the Prince William as GG could be that we have a lot of British tabliods in Canada, around Rideau Hall.

Have a nice day!

Um, you responded to a poll on the question...  About three weeks after the last post.  ;)

T

Torlyn said:
Um, you responded to a poll on the question... About three weeks after the last post. ;)

T
There was no poll in this thread until about 20 min after he posted.

Yes we should remain a Monarchy. Not only because it is traditional, and thus keeps us in touch with our roots. But also because the idea of becoming a republic is just to darn scary (Not to mention the costs of transitioning over to such). As the Americans have proved, a republic is no better then our system, and in many ways is worse. Yes, representation can be better. But the amount of corruption in comparison to our method, and the strength of special interst groups down there is enough to scare the pants off me.

Thanks

Not to mention the fact that I swore my oath to the Queen, and I stand firmly behind that oath.

Oh,well then.I guess you think our gov't isn't corrupt,eh? What about our illustrious PM registering his ships offshore to avoid paying taxes to the country he supposedly serves?What about our GovGen's spending habits?Oh,Did I mention Chretien's business dealings?

"Yes we should remain a Monarchy. Not only because it is traditional, and thus keeps us in touch with our roots. But also because the idea of becoming a republic is just to darn scary (Not to mention the costs of transitioning over to such). As the Americans have proved, a republic is no better then our system, and in many ways is worse. Yes, representation can be better. But the amount of corruption in comparison to our method, and the strength of special interst groups down there is enough to scare the pants off me."

Corruption, I think we the Americans beat on that.  This current gov't is more corrupte then any I can think in recent history.  Moving a republian style of representation would be a step forward and step in the right direction. The first past the post system of voting is outdated and leds to the type of corruption.  It's nice to keep tradations, but the Queen is something we don't need anymore.  Surely after 135 years we can up with our own system.  There is no reason to remove the crown from our history, but it is time to update our system for the better.

gunner56 said:
Oh,well then.I guess you think our gov't isn't corrupt,eh? What about our illustrious PM registering his ships offshore to avoid paying taxes to the country he supposedly serves?What about our GovGen's spending habits?Oh,Did I mention Chretien's business dealings?

PM PM was not directly involved in the registration of the ships of his family's companies offshore...  He had distanced himself from that aspect for many years now, in order to reduce the chances for any ethical considerations.  Unless of course you have any more pertinent information that would add to your position (and the CBC exposé you watched several months ago)

The GG's spending habits have been well debated here, on many occations.  Which particular expendatures are you having a problem with?

As for Chretien's business dealings, again, which ones in particular are you concerned with?  I'm assuming only those that were undertaken while he was PM, which I'm certain you'll discuss.

Lastly, what other alternatives to the Monarchy in Canada do you suggest?

T

It really scares me on how some people on this forum, who are current members of our forces, are bashing our current system, the constitutional monarchy. It also is disturbing that these members think the current system is   not Canadian. I suggest you pack your bags and move down south. Im sure you support global warming too, whatever more makes it America >:(

This was one of the funniest threads in a long time. All I could think of in the back of my mind was the "Monty Python" skit from "Holy Grail":

ARTHUR: Old woman!
DENNIS: Man!
ARTHUR: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.
ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called `Dennis.'
DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
ARTHUR: I did say sorry about the `old woman,' but from the
behind you looked--
DENNIS: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an
inferior!
ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...
DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By
exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to our outdated imperialist
dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our
society! If there's ever going to be any progress--
WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how
d'you do?
ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the
Britons. Who's castle is that?
WOMAN: King of the who?
ARTHUR: The Britons.
WOMAN: Who are the Britons?
ARTHUR: Well, we all are. we're all Britons and I am your king.
WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an
autonomous collective.
DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship.
A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
WOMAN: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.
DENNIS: That's what it's all about if only people would--
ARTHUR: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Who lives
in that castle?
WOMAN: No one live there.
ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
WOMAN: We don't have a lord.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We
take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the
week.
ARTHUR: Yes.
DENNIS: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified
at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal
affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the
purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of
the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to
carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power
just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just
because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd
put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here
that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing
me, you saw it didn't you?

Cor swipe me yer Majesty,  you DO have to get a life..... ;D

Till the nonce King Arthur.

Although it is not the current definition of 'republican' the system does not traditionally exclude monarchy, aristocracy, or democracy.  E.g. Rome had several emporers at once. That the people form the sovereign does not prevent them from choosing 1 magistrate (i.e. the king or queen) to head the government.  (This is mostly taken from the language used by Jean-Jaques Rousseau.)

If any of you monarchists want to do an about-turn on this issue (even if only for a while), read Thomas Paine's Common sense in which he likens the monarch to a prostitute.  Good revolutionary writing, now I'm a flip-flopper on this issue.

Re: that aforeposted scene from Monty Python and the holy grail: that was one of the 1st things my intro politics class watched. 

Back