• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retain the Monarchy in Canada?

Should we retain the monarchy?

• Total voters
John, civilisation is to be found in the colonies.  There are not only the "tinnies" with which Infanteer and I had to make do but you can actually find pubs that can pull you a proper Guiness. Murphy's has been sighted as well.  Some of those Ottawa types on this board should be able to point you in the right direction.

Zipper, the answer to where does it all come from ... see John's query.  The black stuff seems to lubricate the thought process.  Then the ideas just seem to spew forth.

Infanteer, balls in your court, expecting reply ....... sometime.

Agamemnon, I have no intention of getting into an Anglo-Franco dispute.  They are not good for my marriage.

And back to Zipper on a serious note:

Your comment about leaning towards the social democrat or French view as opposed to the more libertarian Scots view.  That is about par for the course.  Many Scots living on the Clydeside would agree with your position.  It is important to remember that both in Scotland and in France the same people were debating the same ideas and in many cases adopted the same beliefs.  But they also divided on certain other beliefs.  So while they could all agree on the need for social justice and equity they came to different positions on God, the Law and Democracy.

Just as the Wars of Religion influenced the European tendency to walk away from God, ending ultimately with Nietzsche and Sartre, so the French Revolution also impacted the track they took.

In the 1600's Britain and France were on parallel courses.  The Stuarts and the Louis' were monarchs that were supported by the Catholic church and collectively they supported the concept of a hierarchical power structure that said that authority came from on high and that God was the ultimate source of power and that power was purveyed on Earth by the Catholic Church and the Pope.

Throughout Europe that notion was challenged by the Protestants.  But the Protestants were split.  There were those of the type like Luther and the Tudors in England that liked the hierarchy well enough but believed that someone other than the Pope should be wielding it.  In Britain these Church of England protestants were known as Episcopalians and they supporte rule by the Bishops.  The Bishops would appoint ministers to the parishes at the request of the King and they would instruct their flock to support the King.  This system appealed to the Stuarts as well as the Tudors.  

It also appealed to Louis, who decided to stay Catholic but to ignore the Pope and appoint his own priests.

The other bunch of protestants were the Presbyterians.  This group followed Calvin, and Knox, and Zwingli  and they found followers in Italy, Switzerland, France, Holland, Scotland and England.

This group were the real threat to Louis and the Stewarts.  For they wanted the right to hire and fire their own ministers and found no need to bend the knee to God, much less the Pope or a King.  They believed that authority was theirs to give and were quite capable of talking to God on their own.  Give them the book and they would find the answer themselves.  This wasn't a pleasant prospect for an authoritarian regime.

Charles I had his biggest threat from a group of my ancestors in the Ayrshire, Dumfries, Galloway area.  Louis had his from the St-Malo, La Rochelle, Poitou area.  In Scotland they were Covenanters, in France they were Huguenots.  In France Louis copied one of Charles' big ideas and visited a bunch of Royal troops on the area and had the locals turn over their houses and their daughters to the service of the troops.  In Scotland Charles did it on the cheap.  He didn't bother to raise troops he couldn't afford.  He just invited some "loyal" Highlanders to take up residence in Ayrshire towns and help themselves to the spoils.  In Scotland this was known as the Highland Hosting.  In France, 40 years later it was the Dragonnades.

The difference between Scotland and France was that in Scotland the Presbyterians won. In France Louis won.  He also took on the Dutch, the Swiss and the Savoyards with mixed results.

In Britain, we lopped off Charlie's head and replaced him with a Commoner name of Cromwell.  After a few years we discovered that Commoner or Royal a tyrant was a tyrant.  Putting a Commoner on the throne was no guarantee of a just society and a peaceful life.  Consequently we invited the Royals back and then limited their arbitrary power by tying them to the wishes of the mob.  Just the same as we limited the power of the judges.  In the case of the judges their powers were limited by the representatives of the mob sitting in the jury, the peers of the accused.  In the case of the Crown the representatives of the mob sat in Parliament.  The King didn't have any authority without money to raise an army so Parliament kept a tight rein on the purse strings to limit the power of Government.  A typically parsimonious Scots solution.  Cheap.  We then set about making money by setting up trading companies all over the world, like the HBC and the East India Company as well as many in the States.

In France Louis his son and his grandson kept the lid on for a century or so more.  Maintaining their divinely authorized right to rule.  Eventually they ran out of money and their mob ran out of patience.  Off comes a Louis head.  And many relatives besides. And many associates. And people that disagreed. And people that had houses that others wanted. And people that didn't look right.  Heads off the lot of them.  Much blood. Much disorder.  All the result of a mob prodded by a bunch of "Enlightened" radicals.

Into this mess steps Napoleon. He brings order but he also brings a control to the arbitrary power of Kings, himself included.  He brings the Code Civile, the Napoleonic Code.  He determines the Right answer to every situation and appoints tribunals of learned men to adjudicate.  

So in Britain we ended up with a system where the power of Government is fettered by the will of the mob, as represented by their Members of Parliament while in Europe generally, where there was a distrust of the mob at all levels of society Power was deemed to be better controlled by constitutions and learned men.  

The British system is a system of Democracy.  Rule of the people.  In particular it is a parliamentary democracy.  Rule by the representatives of the people in consultation with the Government.

The European system is a Constitutional Government, and it may or may not be democratic.  The judges don't have to listen to the people.  They are free to decide according to their own arbitrary discretion on the rights of the case.

Canada under Trudeau became a hybrid child, a constitutional democracy.  Trying to be both democratic and just.

That isn't always possible.

The strength of the mob is stability. If the mob all asserts a common position and the Government follows their advice then the Government survives to fight another day.  The Government is the people.  They are us.  The British parliamentary democracy has stood as an institution now for over 300 years.  In that time the institution has changed course and form but it has never broken.  Britain has prospered.

The Constitutional system has the advantage of being "Right" and "Just".  Learned people knowing the right answers act in the best interests of the populace.  But unfortunately "to Govern is to decide" as is Judging.  And every time you make a decision you upset at least one party, often it is many parties, sometimes in an effort to find a compromise it is all parties.  After a while the Judges and the Government are found to be out of step with the mob.  Everybody has their own pet reason for hating the arbiters, not all of them are rational  But the mob is of one opinion on this fact alone. They, the judges and government, are NOT us.  In the last 200 years, in contrast to over 300 years of relative stability in the UK, France has gone through a number of revolutions, republics and monarchies.

Back to the concept of leadership.  It serves nothing to give an order, no matter how right it is, if nobody is going to obey you.

The system of parliamentary democracy can be abused both by the mob and by demagogues.  It relies on firm rational leadership.  Not command but leadership.  It is up to the leaders to convince the mob that their leaders are right.  But it is a durable government that never separates the mob, us, from our leaders, for any of us can be a leader if his or her neighbours agree.

Constitutional government relies on learned individuals.  A separate class of individuals.  Individuals that are separated, cloistered and educated with special knowledge.  They are, already, not us.  When they start making pronouncements they have to overcome a degree of scepticism at least, in some cases hostility.

Parliamentary democracy is the triumph of the Commoner.  He or she sits in the House of Commons and applies Common Sense to the problems of the Nation (or State), just as they do when sitting on a jury, judging their peers.

I prefer to live in a land where I am judged by my peers and my peers debate my issues, often coming to an expedient pragmatic solution, than a land where experts come to the Right decision for me.

This, to me is the ultimate outcome of the debates started in Edinburgh and Paris.  Do we choose to be governed by experts so that the Right thing is always done, or do we choose to govern in our own name making mistakes along the way.  Nobody has yet convinced me that the Experts are less fallible that the experts are less fallible than the mob.

For me the Royals are a living symbol of the society that waded its way through much blood and many compromises to produce the parliamentary democracy that allows me a say in my country's life.  They are also a racial, genetic link to my past.

I can understand why others in my new country would not feel the same link of blood ties but I would find it regrettable in the extreme if connection to that history that created our government were lost.  Symbols help preserve that connection.  At very least I would like to see the Crown maintained as such a symbol. That is why I accept infanteer's proposal as an inevitable minimum.

Cheers again guys,

And I promise to try and limit these rants to once in a rarity.

Ok first off Quebecois ARE diffrent face it we have diffrent cultures.

Your write it was 2.8 million men that was my bad i mixedn umbers up...its funny how you say 100 000 over 350 million not popular what about the 20 000 english canadians ruling over the french HERE?? i was never so patriotic about being Quebecois ive always considered myself Canadian but since ive read this board...wow..

you have no right in saying we aren't educated...come study international law in french and then tell me i'm uneducated.And at least most Quebecois's can speak both official languages  ::)

no wonder the quebec members are so hostile on the french board... ::)

Ok first off Quebecois are diffrent face it we have diffrent cultures.

Agreed.  Stipulated.

I want to just ignore the rest of your questions but I apparently have a demon at work inside me.

It was volunteers that went to South Africa.  The Lord Strathcona's were raised with private money.  The Brits paid the expenses in South Africa.  This was all precisely because of the concern that it was an Imperial war and wasn't supported by Quebecers.

As to World War I, I am fairly sure that the 60,000 Canadians that died in that war were buried on French and Belgian soil, not British.

The Americans attacked and seized Louisbourg before the Brits gained control of New France. 1748.  You can argue that they were all Maudits Anglais and I won't argue with you but the American's interest in Canada wasn't caused by Canada being a part of the British Empire.  If it hadn't been secured by Britain and governed by a couple of sympathetic catholic Scots (Murray and Carleton) then the likelihood is that after 1776  this whole country would have been part of America.

Your 4th question is a question with no answer for I doubt there is any answer that you would accept as adequate.

As to your 5th point - at least on that we agree and that is probably as good a point as any for me to shut up.

Cheers Agamemnon,  :)

lol i had modified my post same time as you posted so i don't remember my 5 points lol

No worries at all. 

Though unfortunately it now appears as if I was hyperventilating.

Oh well. Worse things have happened at sea.

Agamemnon said:
Ok first off Quebecois ARE diffrent face it we have diffrent cultures.

Your write it was 2.8 million men that was my bad i mixedn umbers up...its funny how you say 100 000 over 350 million not popular what about the 20 000 english canadians ruling over the french HERE?? i was never so patriotic about being Quebecois ive always considered myself Canadian but since ive read this board...wow..

you have no right in saying we aren't educated...come study international law in french and then tell me i'm uneducated.And at least most Quebecois's can speak both official languages   ::)

no wonder the quebec members are so hostile on the french board... ::)

I mentioned that you knowledge in Canadian history is questionable. As for your linguistic skills, i ddint question those. Only 10% of english canadians speak french you know.

As for your number of 20,000 over a unknown stated number of french, what time period are you refering to?

The French are a minority in this country and have been for a century now. Although, they are a large minority that play a major role in this countries history, heritage and goverment.

Kirkhill,

Good stuff and interesting - I'll retain the ball in my court, but it's going to take a while to catch up.

As well, we are now even.   You have now expounded on the linkage of your Caledonian heritage in equal doses to my constant reversion to my Teutonic roots.   Debt is paid, now prepare for some more Scharnhorst in the near future!    ;D

Cheers,
Infanteer

Standing by Infanteer.  I am prepared to see your Scharnhorst and raise you an Adam Smith.

Agamemnon, don't wait too long.

Cheers all.

Kirkhill said:
As to the Royals as being "lucky Europeans" you are missing the point about the Royals entirely here.

The Royals are a symbol.   Their power devolves not from legislation, force or even luck.   Their power devolves from something much more fundamental.   Blood.

They are a symbol of racial connectivity.   They work hard to be able to trace their genealogy and maintain, not their purity, but their genetic connectivity.

Kirkhill wow! I just read your post, nice sermon/history lesson. However as one of the "great unwashed masses" a couple of comments and this is just my opinion (plse correct me  if I'm in error as I'm not quite the student of history you are). If it weren't for the European Monarchies with all their treaties and pacts, I don't think there would have been a world war in 1914. And secondly; wasn't power to rule by the "Royals" initially based upon the use and  maintenance of force over their respective populations? I know you stated that the royals trace their roots not for "purity" but this idea of "racial connectivity" and "genetic connectivity" sounds a lot like the stuff that the other guy we went to war with in 1939 used to spout off. Anyway still not conviced that we need them, and we will eventually be like our American friends who we have a lot more in common with. J

Jumper you are probably right on our similarities to our American friends.   There is a book called "The Cousins' Wars" by Kevin Phillips that looks at the Anglo-Scots Civil War of the 1640's, the American Revolution and the American Civil War.   It notes that the disputes that created Roundheads and Cavaliers, Puritans and Rednecks (a British word for Border Scots-English ruffians) are traceable through the other two wars.   House styles, language, dress, marriage customs, even modern voting patterns and red/blue states.   All tie people of the same surnames in the US and England.    

What he, and another book "Albion's Seed: Four British Folk Ways in America" are saying is that the same philosophical divides can be found on both sides of the Atlantic and that there has always been communication between the two sides.   So British ideas influence America and American ideas influence Britain.    There are Americans that like the notion of a Royal President and there are Republican Brits.

So the prospect that we and they might all some day end up looking like each other, even as three republics, isn't impossible.   Not my preference but not impossible.

As to your point about treaties and pacts forming the backdrop to WW1 you are right again.   But Monarchies or not, all government make treaties and pacts and if they want to get help when they need it then they will honour those obligations and help out their allies.   Something that our current Government seems to have trouble with.....but I digress.

As far as control of the population by force, that wasn't always the case.   Prior to the Norman invasion of Britain in 1066 the Kingship was always in dispute as Kings had to rely on people of their own tribe or nation to support them and try to bring enough other kings with their tribes on side, so as to create a large enough mass to impose their will on the rest of the country side.   So while some tribes would see a foreign King imposing their will on them other tribes would see a relative standing up for them.

When the Normans arrived they delivered the ultimate "head shot", established themselves in fortified bases all over the country, patrolled the highways and extorted taxes.   It took until the time of Henry the VIIIs father some 400 years later for England south of the Borders to be subdued.   By that time the King was an Anglo-Norman (Actually a Welsh-Norman) hybrid that was related by blood to many of the main native families who in turn were related much of the commonality, on both sides of the blankets.   It took another 300 years before the whole of the main island was subdued. Again by a mixture of force and intermarriage.   The tribal lines can still be seen in the UK and that chap Phillips I mentioned is probably keying in on some of those ancient lines.

In a village in the Cheddar Gorge in England a teacher was discovered to have the same maternal DNA as a skeleton found in some nearby caves.   The skeleton was 5-8000 years old.   I can't remember which.   In that time the area had been infested by two waves of Celts, Romans, Angles and Saxons as well as Normans, and probably some Irish as well.   And yet that teacher's maternal line had existed in that town for over 5000 years.   That is the kind of blood tie I am talking about.

As to Herr Schickelgruber, he did spout the racial purity card, he was trying to appeal to that blood tie that meshes families together and tie that together with a common belief system so as to unite all Germans into one group.   The problem that he faced was that Germany in 1933 was only about 62 years old and while Infanteers buddy Scharnhorst had won a couple of wars, the country had lost, and lost big when it was only 43 years old.   The Bavarians and Rhinelanders, as well as the Hanoverians and Hessians cordially detested the Berliners and the Prussians.   They didn't really have a common mythology or belief and they didn't feel that they shared common blood.  They didn't even share a common religion.  The Bavarians and Austrians were staunch Catholic while the northerners were Lutheran protestants and in between they had pacifist Mennonites.  Not to mention atheistic Communists.  Our man Adolf tried to convince them that they were one people, destined for one country, with one leader.   So he had Himmler and Goebels create a tale and sell it.   He did it for his own distorted purposes and he was wrong.

However he was right in identifying blood and belief as the two things that tie people together and the blood of family generally proves to be thicker that the baptismal water of belief.

I am not arguing the case for racial purity, far from it.   What I am saying is that the Royals could not stay in power without allies, and the best allies are family.   So to secure their place in society they had many children and married them off, or not.   Sometimes they just had many children.   The net effect is that most Brits will be able to run through their family tree and find somebody that is related by blood to the Royals some place in the past.   Even if they are just bastards.   And those that don't have direct blood relations have worked for the Royals or have family that have.  

The Royals are woven right into the fabric of the Nation.

But even over there there are Republicans, have been for over 350 years.   In fact as far as I know the first attempt to throw the King off his throne and establish a rule by commoners was Wat Tyler's revolt in about 1350 if memory serves ( I probably have the date a bit wrong).

So despite tying itself into the blood of the Nation there are still dissenters that don't see the connection.

So it is far from surprising to me that non-British Canadians don't see the attraction.

Coupled with some of the nastiness visited on peoples in Europe by various Monarchs I don't blame them for having a negative view of Royals generally.   What most non-Brits fail to grasp, I feel, is that for 300 years our Monarchs have been hobbled and have been subservient to the wishes of Parliament.   American propaganda to the contrary, George III was not so much a tyrant as the figurehead for a Government of the day that represented commercial interests.   He had input, and more input than the modern Royals,   but he was far from being able to dictate actions.   That was his Prime Minister that did that, acting on behalf of the people he represented - a relatively narrow electorate with land and money.   George III had nothing like the powers of Louis XVI who lost his head or the Czars or Kaisers.
So in some sense any comparison between the constitutional Monarchy of Britain and the absolute Monarchy of France and Russia is like comparing apples and oranges.   But still perception is everything.

And most folks perceive Monarchs to have been distasteful and they also perceive the British Monarchs as being unrelated to them.   I understand that.   And while recognizing I am fighting a rear-guard action I am not yet ready to give up the fight.

But as I said, while I expect some day, hopefully after they've scattered my ashes, that the Royals will no longer be part of the fabric of Canadian society I think it is critical that this country understand where its institutions come from.   And remember that history.   And be constantly reminded of that history by relevant symbols.   If not the Royals then at least, as Infanteer suggested, the Crown itself.

Infanteer chuckles at my constant harping on at my Caledonian roots and British history.   At the same time he and others will pour over ancient Greek and Roman histories looking for clues to their modern society.   I contend that the clues are not to be found there.   The clues are to be found in the tales of slaughter and bastardy, blood and politics and compromise that make up British history.   Because that is what created our first constitutions - the Quebec Act, responsible government, the British North America Act, the Statutes of Westminster, even Diefenbaker's Bill of Rights, the 1982 Constitution and Charter of Rights, Common law and trial by jury.  

All bear the stain of battles fought in Britain.   You can't really understand the institutions, IMHO, unless you understand that.   And if we don't remember and understand that then we just may have to go over the same ground again and fight our own battles and learn by experience.

Cheers.

Kirkhill said:
Infanteer chuckles at my constant harping on at my Caledonian roots and British history.   At the same time he and others will pour over ancient Greek and Roman histories looking for clues to their modern society.   I contend that the clues are not to be found there.   The clues are to be found in the tales of slaughter and bastardy, blood and politics and compromise that make up British history.   Because that is what created our first constitutions - the Quebec Act, responsible government, the British North America Act, the Statutes of Westminster, even Diefenbaker's Bill of Rights, the 1982 Constitution and Charter of Rights, Common law and trial by jury.

This is starting to sound like reading one of those "How the Scots Saved Civilization" books.... ;)

All kidding aside, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the infusion of outside cultural inputs on the evolution of society on the British Iles.   Remember, one of the most preeminent political philosophers of the English language, Thomas Hobbes, was educated in the Classics and cut his literary teeth with Thucydides.   For hundreds of years, to be educated in Europe was to learn Greek and Latin and to read Polybius and Herodotus.   Heck, the Magna Carta, that ever important document to our politicial heritage, is a Latin word.   If there was one thing I took from my four years of studying political thought in university, it was that there are links throughout the corpus of Western thought.

However, as David Gress points out in From Plato to NATO, Classical Greek and Roman civilization didn't pass through the Dark Ages waiting to be rediscovered in its complete form during the Renaissance - this was a popular, but incorrect, belief propagated in 18th century German Romanticism.   Gress goes on to point out that "Modern" Western thought is influenced not by some monolithic Classical antecedent, but rather an evolved confluence of Classical Philosophy, Christian Church dominance (the only remaining institution after the fall of Rome), and German/Slavic/etc tribal influence (The new Big Men in Europe).

The West drew its evolutionary trends from many sources, of which Classical thought provides is an important foundational structure - this is what authors like John Keegan and Victor Davis Hanson have picked up on when they explore these roots and their relation to our "way of war".   Britannia did not evolve in some sort of vacuum, and all the strains of European thought have common roots and shared heritage.

As for the importance of the Monarchy in the Revolutionary War, you're right, a closer reading shows that Lord North and Pitt the Elder were the political figures, not William.   As far as I am concerned, these notions of "Blood and Belonging" are ways to fancy up the fact that Anglo-Saxon and Norman warlords gradually lost (along with the rest of the European feudal and dynast powers) their "top-dog" place in a society that their ancestors had seized following the retreat of Rome (and, for a brief time, my Scandinavian ancestors) from the Iles.  

As you've said before, there is no point to enacting a law that won't be obeyed, so you should understand the legitimate claim of eliminating hollow oaths and meaningless figureheads that have no Blood and No Belonging in a nation(s) of immigrants from the four corners of the globe, Canada.

When the Normans arrived they delivered the ultimate "head shot",

Tell me you did that on purpose, because that's as subtle and obscure as they come.

No kidding, I didn't pick that up at first.

That's Bayeuxtiful...

Bu-da-bup... :dontpanic:

PS: Kirkhill:

So despite tying itself into the blood of the Nation there are still dissenters that don't see the connection.

I guess I am in this camp, because although I am 3/4 Scandinavian and Teuton, the other 1/4 is Caledonian.  The "Blood" thing isn't working for me, maybe it's the Norse mutt acting out? ;D

I will wade in to ankel depht here WRT the ancient Greek and Romans. Although they mostly observed it in the breech, the Greeks of the "Classical" period and the Res Publica Roma were forms of constitutional democracies which were, in theory, subservient to the rule of Law. The arbitrary power of Kings and Tyrants was replaced by the "will of the demos", as expressed by the eklassia, or the senate.

These first experiments were imperfect, since there were no checks and balances in the way we understand the idea. The ancients did try ideas like property requirments to qualify voters and members of the assembly, and strict term limits (random selection by lot for one year terms in Athens), but the assembly could often be swayed by clever oration, and stampede into voting for anything which was sufficiently well argued. The "History of the Pelleponessian Wars" is full of events like this, with the decision to commit to the disasterous "Sicilian Expedition" being perhaps the most clear cut (and having the worst outcome).

The idea of a nation tied by "blood" is a very ancient one, and the idea is still in full force today in most of the world, although the results are mostly horrific (Former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, the Sudan....the blood soaked list can go on and on). Even the United States, which is the nation where the idea and ideal of "Civic Nationality" is the strongest, is still fighting that battle, with pockets of large and partially assimilated minorities looking for a "hyphenated American" identity.

Canada has embraced the "multi-cultural" model, which dilutes the "civic nationality" model, but does not create a "blood" identity for Canadians. The worst of both worlds in my opinion.

I am not arguing that Britain grew up in splendid isolation.  Very far from it.  There has never been a time when Britain wasn't involved in the life of the rest of the world.  From dominating the tea trade going back to selling wool to the Poles in the Middle Ages when the last bought of Global Warming started to reverse itself, to supplying tin from Cornwall so that the Greeks could make Bronze.  One of my other pet bug-bears is just as most teen-agers tend to believe they invented sex and coarse language we, the modern world, tend to believe that nobody communicated before us.  So we look at peoples and their philosophies as being distinct and locked in place by geography and time.

The Brits that created the institutions with which they governed their lives were fully informed of the goings on in the rest of the world, were fully informed of other streams of philosophical thought and were greatly informed by studies of the classics which were aided by travelling to Greece and Rome and the Middle East in later years.

I don't dispute that the Brits found their inspirations and models in many places.  Nor did they come to a uniform understanding of the prescription for their society.

My point is it was Brits that combed through various models, applied various philosophies, debated their validity, created the compromises - all in response to their particular problems - that resulted in the generation of the institutions that they transplanted to Canada.  And from 1759, arguably up until Pearson's years, or perhaps the King-Byng affair it was largely Brits, or at least Canadians of Brit heritage (like yon wee loon St. Tommy Douglas) that were major drivers in Canadian thought.

Yes there has been a French element, folks like Lafontaine, in the debate and they have influence much of Canada as well.  But one of the major causes of stress in Canadian society has been the desire of French Canadians to have their voices heard and not to be subsumed by the dominance of the Anglo-Scots.  MacKenzie-King, St-Laurent, Pearson and Trudeau, and Mulroney, all reflect the continuing attempts to heal the schism.  Chretien represents the obvious incompleteness of the success.

But to reinforce, it was Brits, victims of their own history and their own experiences that sought models for solutions in many places and that ultimately found their own compromises that most of the folk, most of the time could agree with.

France, Italy, Germany, Russia.....they had their own problems and found their own solutions.

In Canada we have our problems and are going to find our solutions.  And those solutions will be compromises influenced by many things, including the Ancients, and the French and our history and the existence of our largely British supplied institutions.

I agree entirely with the silliness of empty symbols.  That is why I, grudgingly as I said, fully expect the Royals to become a non-issue in Canada within the next generation.  I on the other hand would like to preserve them because of a sentimental attachment based on my blood and my belief by convincing others that regardless of their blood the Royals can be a symbol of their beliefs.  As constant living reminders of history.

I saw an article in yesterday's paper where in the Congo the government is putting back the statues of Belgian King Leopold that were torn down in the 1960s when they got their independence.  I am not convinced that they necessarily see Leopold in any more favourable light, or perhaps they do.  I think it likely that they are going back up to remind folks of their history and perhaps to remind them of how bad things were before they got their independence.  On the other hand they will also be reminders of roads and railways and towns that worked - things arrogated to the white colonizers true enough but also concrete reminders that if it can be done once it can be done again.

Symbols need to be retained as reminders, of both the good and the bad.

Infanteer you seem to be suggesting that I am a racial purist focused on maintaining British supremacy.  NO.

I am a mongrel like yourself.  Although I was born in the UK of two Brit parents, I am Scots, and English, I have Presbyterian and Episcopalian roots, I have got Norman-French blood and probably Danish, Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic blood.  I am like most other Brits.  Racial purity isn't in the game, I am looking forward to the day when I can find the common ancestry that links my families with my wife's Franco - Belgian - Occidentale families.

You talk about your Scandinavian roots and look to Greece for your models on how to control authority.  The Greeks may have written their debates down and thus are easiest to study.  But it was your Scandinavian ancestors  that arguably had the greater influence on modern British and Canadian society. In addition to being the source of the Normans, Rollo extorting a bit of land in France from that Teuton Charles the Simple over the objections of the locals, they were also the source of the Thing in Iceland and the Althing in Denmark.  Two parliaments that preceded all others including the Mother of Parliaments. 

King Canute, the Danish king that ruled over Britain before he left behind all the dynastic nastiness that resulted in the Willy and the Normans showing up on the beaches,  he was required to consult with his version of a parliament and take into account the wishes of his subjects.  No ruler, no matter how much force he has available, can do otherwise indefinitely.

I do not take the position that British is better.  I do take the position that British IS.  That during the formative period of Canada as we currently know it Britain was in the ascendancy, British thought dominated and Brits created our institutions.

From here on out none of those statements are true.  We will find our own Canadian compromises.  All good stuff. And we should re-examine ancient systems, as we should examine alternate systems that emanate from different cultures, nations, societies.  But unless we intend to chuck everything out and do the revolutionary thing - a violent and undesirable occupation from my point of view - then I think we need to be clear about what we have and how it got here.

I will say this ... While being very proud to be a Canadian, I am equally proud of the compromises that many of my fellow Brits have made that created these institutions.

I look forward to seeing what comes but I prefer not to forget the past.

And Arthur, you are dead right that much of this ground is well-ploughed. The blood-belief conundrum is as ancient as it gets. History shows God-Kings, blood and belief in one person. It shows Priest-Kings, a variant on a theme with the advantage that the King isn't expected to perform miracles and can always still blame God when disasters happen.  It shows Kings and Priests as Brothers, as in Moses and Aaron leading the Jews, a risky proposition when the family jewels need to be divided.  It shows Kings and Priests as entirely separate but complementary with Kings supporting Priests or Priests supporting Kings but then you get into politics and 1000 years of European history.  It also shows Kings and Priests trying to survive without each other.

And it shows people with no blood claim on loyalties trying to create their own belief system and attract followers to the cause and create their own authority.

Then at bottom you have the people, from whom authority ultimately springs.  If they won't follow then you are no leader.  And sometimes the mob will not follow where the leaders want to lead, they go their own way.  At that point you get to Ralph Klein's dictum "find out which way the parade is going then get in front of it".  It may be expedient and the leader may give up some credibility but the maintain some authority so that they can still influence direction.  To be right and not to be followed serves nobody well.

Which brings us to Churchill.  "Democracy is the worst of all possible systems.  Except for all others."

But then Churchill was a Monarchist.

Zipper said:
... the idea of becoming a republic is just to darn scary (Not to mention the costs of transitioning over to such). As the Americans have proved, a republic is no better then our system, and in many ways is worse. Yes, representation can be better. But the amount of corruption in comparison to our method, and the strength of special interst groups down there is enough to scare the pants off me.
This comparison ignores the majority of differences between the parliamentary form of government and the presidential form of government (notably the fusion of the legislative and executive functions vs the separation of legislative and executive functions).

In Canada the head of state and the head of government are also separated (in the GG and the PM) while the US President fills both these roles.  I am happy the separation of head of state from head of government, and I am happy with the fusion of the executive and the legislative.  I do like the idea of a democratically selected GG (either by direct election or vote in the House of Commons and provincial legislatures).  This GG would represent the Queen in Canada & would represent Canada & Canadians to the Queen and to the world.

Just a correction, in the US the President is the Head of State and the Speaker of the House is the Head of Government (Legislative Branch). The President can not initiate legislation, only suggest it.

As the US system being more swayed by special interests groups or more corrupt then ours, I suggest you take off the rose colour glasses. Both systems are swayed to where the money/votes are but neither are inherently corrupt. It is the individuals within twisting the intent to their own purposes and distorting the way system should act.

The main difference is the our Head of State is above the fray of ordinary politics and therefore we can have the Monarchy (through the GG) represent us. Making the postion political (through elections etc) would be a mistake. Bringing "a" Crown here is an interesting concept, Retain the monarchy without the Monarch  (I admit, I didn't read Infanteer's proposal in detail, so I stand corrected if I've got it wrong or misinterpreted it, We are also assuming that England would let us have a "Crown"). I would prefer to swear allegiance to a symbol as opposed to an object which a crown would be. We could just as easily swear allegiance to the flag as that is a more viable symbol. Crown without a wearer is just gold and glitter reprenting nothing. Therefore you need to find a wearer as opposed to holder, and then the partisan bun fights start. The status quo forgoes that as it is already pre-set for us.

Ga...

I say again, Ga!

Go away for a day and you have to sit and read for an hour plus.

But I must say that the education that I am getting from Kirkhill and all those concerned is quite nice.

To answer RCA and MCG. I never did say that we do not have courruption. Just that the scale of it is quite a bit less then down south. However, it is there in all its unfortunate glory.

To Agememnon. I don't believe anyone called you uneducated? Far from it I hope.

I'm looking forward to Infanteer's reply. If it is ever forthcoming considering the history lesson we're getting from Professor Kirk. I'll be damed if this wouldn't make a great time around pints in the pub. (probably with a few fist'a'cuffs thrown in for good measure ;D).

Zipper said:
To Agememnon. I don't believe anyone called you uneducated? Far from it I hope.

OO, i did. He made a few mistakes in his steam blowing post. I would also like to add this. Between the 1950's and 1960's, 500,000 Brits immigrated to Canada. Now, in my small pathetic town alone, many of these British immigrants are present. In my small school of just 17 teachers, 3 were born in Britain.

Again, has anyone been to Victoria, christ it looks like a British city, and many have the accent. My step fathers parents, who have residence in the city and are dutch,  respect the monarchy. They see the monarchs as a mixed blood of europe, as Canada is (85% of canadians european decendants.)  This is British Columbia though, we pot smokers dont know anything  :D

Although, Nova Scotia an Newfounland (for sure) would be strongly opposed to abolishing the monarchy. We dont want to break Canada up over this do we?

Back