• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

restructure of Canada national security department

Manimal

Inactive
Reaction score
i admit i don't know much about the system in place, but with all the talk from the people in the big seats, i don't believe they are doing enough.

at the top of this department, 1 person, called #1, outside of gov't, reports to the PM. not to MP's. this person is hired to run, create, and control committees.

Military role. a anti terrorist unit, trained with the same tactics and skills as the SAS train with and have used for many terrorist situations.
the unit would have to be sizable, but broken in to small units, with less skills then them, but more so then most of the MIL to back them with heavier power. reports to Mil who reports to #1

federal level CSIS, a task force for only terrorist, gathers outside info... like CIA. even works with CIA?

RCMP task force.... reports to #1 takes collective info of all provinces, works closely with CSIS

Provincial police, each province would have a terrorist task force, that is lead by FBI types, a group with sub groups in major cities. reports to RCMP task force head, who reports to #1

CCG get big guns lol

add thoughts, and remember, i came up with this with little info on what is set up, and it's 4am...lol

so where does the Communications Security Establishment (CSE) fit in this.  

Don't foget armed transit cops with an Anti-Terror TF armed properly and avalable 24/7 within minutes of all subway stops/major bus routes.

This will all happen once someone blows up a dozen or so Canadians on a subway somewhere, but not before then. Hope I'm not on that subway.....

Manimal said:
i admit i don't know much about the system in place, but with all the talk from the people in the big seats, i don't believe they are doing enough.

Military role. a anti terrorist unit, trained with the same tactics and skills as the SAS train with and have used for many terrorist situations.
the unit would have to be sizable, but broken in to small units, with less skills then them, but more so then most of the MIL to back them with heavier power. reports to Mil who reports to #1

federal level CSIS, a task force for only terrorist, gathers outside info... like CIA. even works with CIA?

Canada already has a unit along the same lines as the SAS it is JTF-2. CSIS is a federal level intel group that works in intelligance gather and even work inconjuction with the CIA and international intelligance bureaus

LOL, what's CES?
don't know. like i said, it's the tired ramblings on the night shift.
is the JTF2 up the SAS standards? maybe in training, but SAS have so many years of practice, the training they do is INSANE, comparable to the SEALS for sure.

Manimal:

You should stop typing now, since it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.  BTW, CSE = "Communications Security Establishment".  They have a website - try Google.

This thread is dangerously close to evolving (yet again) into one of "those" JTF-2 threads... ::)

JTF-2 is trained just like the SAS. OPSEC does not allow us to be told what type of training that is done.

Most of JTF AFAIK come from with in the cbt arms and are highly trained.

McNutt

CAN ANYONE SAVE THIS THREAD??

I would appreciate it.....

I'll try

Should Canada create a Department of Homeland Defence.

How should it be set up?

McNutt

Do we want all these organizations under one hand?  I know Edward has raised the point a few times (WRT Intelligence establishments) about preventing incestuous relationship between vital but separate state security apparatii.

Is a "Security Czar" the answer?

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Manimal:

You should stop typing now, since it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.   BTW, CSE = "Communications Security Establishment".   They have a website - try Google.

This thread is dangerously close to evolving (yet again) into one of "those" JTF-2 threads... ::)

i fully admitted in the two posts i put here that i don't know what exactly these agagencieso, or how they work. i'm trying to take this beyond a JTF 2 thread, they how ever would be a part of national department. what it comes down too, should there be a department, and how should it be structured. look back over the FBI under Hoover, it was dirty, but it got the job done.

You did indeed admit your lack of knowledge, then proceeded to comment on (and compare) the training of various special forces units.  There are very few people in Canada who (IMHO) are qualified to do that - even serving CF members.

I'm no old hand on this site, but even I have seen threads rapidly degenerate into nonsense as soon as special forces are mentioned.

Enough from me - back to your discussion at hand.

I would imagine that CSE & CSIS could be seperated out.  CSE & CSIS would form a Canadian Intelligence Agnecy (CIA).  That would leave the DNS with the principle agencies responsible for domestic action, DND would have the principle responsibility for international actions, and the CCIA would maintain both international & domestic information responsibilities.  Alternately, Some elements of this could be inter-departmental agencies (shared by DND & DNS).  

Manimal said:
i'm trying to take this beyond a JTF 2 thread, they how ever would be a part of national department. what it comes down too, should there be a department, and how should it be structured.
The JTF2 rightfully has no place in this discussion.  It is an element of the CF and should remain as such.

What should be examined is the coordination between DND and a DNS.  Liaison officers should be exchanged between the departments.  Canada Command would be the ideal command to do this permanent link.

MCG:

In fact, the LO exchange is already being done on an operational level.  What you're talking about would extend it to the strategic.  I do know, for instance, that we have LOs within the RCMP and are obviously intertwined with PSEPC.

At the operational level, we currently have LOs designated by province and located in each provincial capital.  These would likely continue with the new JTF structure.  CANADACOM could act as the strategic link at the national level.

All of those orgs, including DND, have representation on the Privy Council Office intelligence section. The PCO is the "clearing house," and while it isn't the same as the Brit JIC, it performs a similar function.

CSE is under DND, and should remain there for a variety of reasons (a pool of SIGINT expertise, for one).

CSIS is a security service, not a foreign intelligence gathering service. I think it would be a mistake to merge the two functions under CSIS, as they can often clash with each other. As much as CSIS would like to believe they could expand to carry out the foreign int collection function, it would still take them as much time as it would to create an effective independent service - around 10 years would be my guess. The benefits of creating an independent service to collect foreign int outweigh any short term advantage of trying to use exisiting CSIS officers (or other exisiting collection assets) in that role.

I also believe that the creation of a "Canadian Homeland Security Department" (beyond what we already have) is a needless addition of bureaucracy.

Acorn

MCG said:
The JTF2 rightfully has no place in this discussion.   It is an element of the CF and should remain as such.

So should a new unit be formed to undertake high-risk arrests, raids, and rescues, etc on the federal level if the JTF2 is not to be untilized?  Perhaps some type of high-readiness, mobile response team?  Having the JTF2 under the CF for foreign operations and this new unit under CSIS or the RCMP for domestic operations?  Am I out to lunch, or is it reasonable, or am I jusy ignorant that a unit exists.....

JTF-2 does both foreign and domestic operations, much like its British equivalent, and has its own system for being requested from the CF.

We're discussing structure, etc., not counter-terrorism capabilities, which have been beaten to death elsewhere on this site.

Cheers,

TR

MCG said:
The JTF2 rightfully has no place in this discussion.   It is an element of the CF and should remain as such.

Exactly - the JTF2 is a military unit and, according to the law, it can only be ordered by the CDS.  No civilian "uber-security" department could lawfully take "command" of the JTF2.  Any discussion of its place in a National Security Strategy falls under general military strategy within the realm of the DND.

Back