• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists: Where do YOU work?

Just graduated high school and doing "coniffer release" work. Just some work in the bush, basically. Either going into the regular force or school to be a journalist.

Supposed to be in Wainwright right now on my BIQ but I guess courses right now are all f----- up so they're not sending me.

full time student/reservist/stripper. Ah who am i kidding, i rarely show up for school..

In the absence of any large military work this summer, I am doing my old seasonal job, working at a golf course driving range, picking up the balls - they are a little easier to find than brass casings and links  ;D but it sometimes is dangerous work - almost got hit several times, when I can't drive around in relative safety.

i am a part designer/parting line designer.  i work with a program called CATIA. 

interesting spectrum of work...

i work for the local telephone/internet guys... doing phone support for dsl internet :)

i've worked LOTS of jobs before this... and i wont go into detail.. but this one pays VERY NICE before school starts in the fall.

Then I will be a student... studying Police Foundations.

I would think there would be alot more police in the reserves...?

Am i wrong?

Sappo said:
interesting spectrum of work...

i work for the local telephone/internet guys... doing phone support for dsl internet :)

i've worked LOTS of jobs before this... and i wont go into detail.. but this one pays VERY NICE before school starts in the fall.

Then I will be a student... studying Police Foundations.

I would think there would be alot more police in the reserves...?

Am i wrong?

RCMP are precluded from joining the reserves.  I would guess that city/regional police forces would have their own rules.
Greg

Well in my unit, we have several members of the O.P.P. and another unit has a city police member in it.  My new CO is with the CPR Police, so it is possible in other services, but I would imagine it would be very busy.

What it comes down to is that it is a conflict of interest to be in two federal law enforcement agencies at the same time. The operative word is Federal.
therefore you can not be in the RCMP and DND at the same time.
Provincial or municipal is a different matter, not federal and therefore no conflict.

GF

Um, we are not a law enforcement agency.  As for being called to provide support for a public emergency (floods, ice storm, etc..)  I am not sure who "wins" between the two, but I believe reservists always have the option of "not playing".. if I remember from the ice storm.

We are considered a federal law enforcement agency and you may not have the right to decide not to play if the minister of national deffence decides to activate your unit or part thereof.
The reason we are considered as law enforcement is that we are armed and are there to enforce the decisions of our government usually external of our borders but if necessary within them think FLQ crisis.

I would suggest that you take a look at the oath that you swore when you joined.

It used to be a parliamentary decision but it was brought down to the ministerial level for convenience and speed after Y2K.

GF

Let's keep this topic on topic and I will start another topic so that we can discuss... and get new insight.

Bzz

Going into my fourth year of a two bachelor degree program; Commerce and Human Geography...
I fill in the rest with misc part time jobs....

Draftsman (...person...) with the District of Mission, in sunny British Columbia.

As far as being a cop and being in the military goes, there is a special dispensation for CIC officers to also be a member of the RCMP, as they are not ever going to be called up on active, shooting, service with the CF, so they are OK.  In fact, the RCMP Deputy Commisioner out here in the Pacific Region has stated that she will fully support any RCMP member with being a CIC officer.

The CIC seems to have a pre-ponderance of Corrections (federal or provincial) officers and cops in it, or ex of both those services.  I guess that they like seeing some positive youth, instead of the crap that they see all day at their regular jobs.

Of the staff in our Corps, the breakdown is as follows:  1 civic employee, 2 federal corrections, 1 RCMP, 1 Ambulance paramedic, 1 housewife, 1 federal employee, 2 private company employees.

No students  ;), sorry about that.

Great information...it is interesting to see how diversified the reservists are...we all have something different to contribute given our varied employment and education pursuits.

Myself...I am a professional engineer working for a Federal Department in Major Construction & Recapitalization.   A fancy way of saying..."I fix up the joint."   I manage capital funds for projects that we undertake at the facilities owned by the Department.

I work for a large armoured car company and have done so for the last 14 years. Although not yet in the reserves, I'm currently training so that I can re-join this fall after an extended absence.

Back