• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as it is quite clear that CSEOs who are alumnus of the University of Calgary are the coolest cats in the world, I can see why you might want to become one.

So yeah, CEOTP will certainly not work if your intention is to continue living in Calgary for the next 4 years. Your options are either go for ROTP, or get your engineering degree on your own and then apply for a CT DEO style.

If I'm interperting CBI 204.015 correctly, if you go the ROTP route, you should at least retain your current pay rate. If you go the DEO route, the deal should be the same as your current CT offer.

If I recall correctly, there was a recent policy change such that all ROTP applicants had to, at least, put RMC down on your application. So keep in mind that while you fully intend to stick in Calgary, the CF may only offer you RMC. From what I can tell, they like to fill up all available RMC slots before allowing any Civvie-U spots. After all, if we're going to the expense of running our own University, we might as well get as much use out of it as we can. If you already have a year under your belt at a civilian university, you might be a bit more likely to be able to stay there.

Which brings me to the timeline. It's too late to apply for ROTP for the 2010/2011 school year. You might want to try applying back there for Sept if you can.

Anyways, as for how much your turning down the current CT might affect your chances of this plan, well, honestly I think that likely depends upon your current chain of command.

I can't remember where I read it (I'll keep looking for a source), but I do not believe that you can apply for ROTP if you currently hold a degree, as it's considered redundant. 

WRT pay, under ROTP, you as an LS would be treated as though you CT'd into your trade, and paid accordingly, with any upwards adjustments in pay which you would have been afforded.  Look for CBI 204 for all info.

ekpiper

You cannot apply for ROTP if you already have a degree that would be acceptable for the trade to which you are applying. Someone with a biology degree could not apply for ROTP MARS, or Armoured, etc. However, if it's one of the trades which have a list of certain acceptable degrees, such as one of the engineering trades, nursing (or a few others out there I'm sure).

That having been said, this is what I recall from what some recruiters have said on here, and I do not, unfortunately, have a relevant reference to cite off the top of my head. Naturally, as per usual, your best bet would be to contact the recruiting centre.

Hello, I am currently a 19 year old civilian university student going onto 20 this upcoming september (2010). A while ago, I've decided to undergo a sudden career change. During my research, I have came across the option to join the Canadian Forces, and attend a subsidized military university (RMCC). So far, I have attended 2 years of schooling at a civilian university and college, and this upcoming year will be my third. During first year of university, I was forced to withdraw due to academic reasons from a family breakdown.  However, during my second year at a nother institution, my grades improved to good standing. This will be my third year attending a university, and i'm treating this as my last shot to good education. I am aware that RMCC will reject my application if I had to withdraw from a university due to academic grades. However, I am eligible this year as a year had already passed since the withdrawal occured "The Royal Military College of Canada reserves the right to reject applicants on the basis of their overall academic record, even where entrance requirements have technically been met. Normally a candidate who has been required to withdraw from another university or college for academic reasons will not be considered for admission until a full academic year has elapsed".(http://www.rmc.ca/adm/ar-rma-eng.asp). In order to set my goals this year to join the Canadian Forces, I want to know the academic average that I need in order to be accepted as a transfer student from a civilian university, and the steps that I should take to maximize my chances of admission.

I wouldreally appreciate your help.

Thank You.

Hey all, my first time posting on a forum so I hope I didn't put this in the wrong spot or blow it haha... But anyways, here's my situation....

I applied for the 2010-11 year through ROTP for pilot and managed to pass the thing in Toronto and the medicals and all that jazz but I didn't actually make it as a pilot. Poop.

This year I've started just adding to my resume by volunteering, joining the reserves etc.  and now I'm putting together my new application for the 2011-12 year at RMC. I'm worried that I won't make it as far this time or I'll have the same results after going through everything again. But my main question is does anyone know what happens if you blow it twice? Do you still get another shot at Pilot?

I know that's not the way to think, the "How many shots do I get approach", but I was just curious. Also, I'm sure I'll probably just have to search through the forums but I was wondering if anyone else was sort of in the same boat or had a couple kicks at it before making it?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this and  respond!

-Racho

Did you find out why you didn't qualify the first time? Did you go to ACS in Trenton?

If you didn't go to ACS, and you didn't wash out for medical reasons, then there is something else on your file that made you not eligible for the CF, vice not eligible for the pilot MOC.

I'd ask what it was before reapplying, as maybe it is something that is correctable.

I Definitely went to ACS in Trenton and passed that. I also passed all the medicals in Toronto and was offered ACSO, but was not offered pilot.  I guess I'm wondering about having to do ACS again...

Racho said:
I guess I'm wondering about having to do ACS again...

My aircrew pass from a previous application was still valid 2 years later for my application this year.

Definitely stick with it. As suggested by captloadie, find out where you could improve your application. Don´t worry about applying too many times, my two previous applications fell through. Now 4-5 years after my first ROTP application, I just got accepted for DEO this week. If it´s something you really want to do, keep improving your application (like you already have started doing).

Best of luck.

Racho said:
I Definitely went to ACS in Trenton and passed that. I also passed all the medicals in Toronto and was offered ACSO, but was not offered pilot.

At the completion of ASC, the testing Officers should definitively state "Mr Bloggins, you did meet the standard for Pilot and for ACSO".  They do not offer anything, they simply tell you if you were successful or not.  If they did not say this, then you did not pass for pilot.  Your first step is to find out exactly what happened at ACS.  If you went to Trenton and then off to DRDC-Toronto, you made it past the CAPPS but might have had something show up in the medical.

Okay well thanks for the help guys, I did qualify for ACSO and Pilot, as I was offered ACSO. I guess all I can do is keep going back and improving like you said.

-Racho

Go and finish your degree and then you can apply for DEO ...

You will NOT be offered ROTP again after you have turned it down and wasted everyone's time the first time ... if you knew you weren't going to accept ACSO, you should have never put it down in the first place. There are thousands of people every year who apply for ROTP and aren't given an offer ...

(and yes, I know who this person is, because I was co-ordinating all of the Toronto ROTP presentations and I know who it was that wanted pilot, was offered ROTP ACSO and decided to say no)

I'm sorry if it seems as though I've wasted everyone's time with my application. The strangest thing about the whole experience is that I never put a second option down when I originally applied either. It was at my interview that I was strongly encouraged to put down a second trade at it ended up being ACSO.

The only reason that I declined the ROTP opportunity was because I was told by the recruiter I spoke with that there would be almost no chance of transferring to pilot once I started another trade. I didn't write the ACSO exam in Trenton either. 

But really my best option would be to not try again?

This story sounds more odd every new post. Don't all applicants get the same tests, and based on the results on the differing tests are offered an aircrew trade? I know there used to be be tests that were geared more to either NAV (as it used to be called) or pilot, but we still did both. Has this changed?

But back to the OP, unless you ask questions on why specifically you weren't offered Pilot, how can you hope to improve to be more competitive next year. It is unlikely there will be fewer candidates with with less going for them than this year, or any year in the future.

I definitely tried to get answers as to why exactly I wasn't offered pilot or what I could do to improve but the only thing I've been able to figure out is that I didn't merit high enough. No one has been able to actually tell me what I did wrong seeing as I did pass everything.

I'm just very lost on what the best plan of action is because I hear different things every time I speak to a recruiter. I was thinking that a more collective response would be better which I seem to be getting from this forum. I'm not sure what exactly would happen if ACSO was the only trade put down but I do think they still had to do ACS in Trenton.

captloadie said:
This story sounds more odd every new post. Don't all applicants get the same tests, and based on the results on the differing tests are offered an aircrew trade? I know there used to be be tests that were geared more to either NAV (as it used to be called) or pilot, but we still did both. Has this changed?

But back to the OP, unless you ask questions on why specifically you weren't offered Pilot, how can you hope to improve to be more competitive next year. It is unlikely there will be fewer candidates with with less going for them than this year, or any year in the future.

Everyone has to do the CFAT.  Plt and ACSO have further testing (different from each other).

Who was asking about the CFAT? Try reading the posts before providing input. He went to Trenton to do ACS, the to Toronto for the medical testing. I can almost guarantee that they don't send applicants to do either if their CFAT scores aren't high enough to start with.

Racho said:
I definitely tried to get answers as to why exactly I wasn't offered pilot or what I could do to improve but the only thing I've been able to figure out is that I didn't merit high enough. No one has been able to actually tell me what I did wrong seeing as I did pass everything.

Ding ding ding. You've got it.

Pilot is an extremely extremely competetive trade. A heck of a lot of very qualified people would like to become one, and there are a limited number of spots. Passing everything isn't enough. You've got to be able to be able to stand out from the hoard.

Racho said:
I'm not sure what exactly would happen if ACSO was the only trade put down but I do think they still had to do ACS in Trenton.

No they don't.  If someone makes their intent clear that they are only interested in ACSO - they do not go to ASC.  Only those interested in riding in the box to try and be selected for pilot go to Trenton.  ACSO written tests can be done at the recruiting centre.

Everyone who goes to Trenton is tested for ACSO via the written tests and pilot via the "simulator".  I failed horribly for Nav - which was fine, as I got my first choice.

Racho said:
I'm not sure what exactly would happen if ACSO was the only trade put down but I do think they still had to do ACS in Trenton.

ACSO-only applicants do not go to Trenton.

gcclarke said:
Ding ding ding. You've got it.

Pilot is an extremely extremely competetive trade. A heck of a lot of very qualified people would like to become one, and there are a limited number of spots. Passing everything isn't enough. You've got to be able to be able to stand out from the hoard.

Yep. I was told by recruiters two weeks ago, just before the pilot selection board sat, that they would be hiring 30 pilots and there was almost 400 people who were merit listed (passed ACS/DRDC medicals). Its a long slow road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back