• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know 10+ people off hand who are pilots at Civilian university so I know for a fact that the Airforce is not RMC exclusive.

If you want to go to RMC, my advice would be to apply to RMC.

Edit: Hit post before pasting this in.  This is from RMC's Calendar.

Mature student

Individuals of 21 years of age and who have been out of formal schooling for a minimum of 2 years and who do not meet the normal academic prerequisites for admission may qualify for admission  as 'mature' students.

Admission of mature students is limited to the Faculty of Arts.  Mature students who intend to eventually pursue baccalaureate  degrees in Science or Engineering, may only be admitted to these faculties once  they have successfully completed 2 full university courses or, have been  accredited with the equivalent of 2 full university courses, and meet  the  academic pre-requisites of the programme of interest.

Brihard said:
But yes, at 22 and with crappy marks your odds of getting into RMC are slim. You're much more likely to get 'mature student' status at another university.
I am fully aware of 'slim chances'. I understand its a long shot.
As of this moment, I am in at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.
Im in my 2nd semester doing biology; calculus; and business admin.
When summer comes around, I plan on doing summer school.
I would be in the psychology program at concordia for fall 2011.

**One of the principles at RMI and I have exchanged emails a few months ago.
I was writing to him how I did garbage in high school, but am holding my ground at concordia.
Right now, my gpa avg. at Concordia is 3.5 (75%) <-- I can get that higher.
The principle noted in one email saying; there was a good chance that when I get 18-27 credits at Concordia (in excellent academic standing of cousrse ), there was a decent  change my high school transcript would be over looked. 1+1=2 .. did poorly in high school but have shown academically, that I am not a screw up. <-- I had my head in other places in high school. <-- women, tennis, skipping class

I have a clean record. No drugs, nothing that should hinder me.

back on topic- although I am at concordia right now, I do not want to waste more time here if I can get into RMC as mature student for fall 2011.
I am eager to get into RMC.
**The only problem is, everything I would have worked at this school term might be going to waste.
I doubt the credits would be transferrable, as I am not in an 'official program'; with an 'official transcript'.
So this year would be a waste of money.
BUT, id be doing the pre-reqs again at RMC (which would take 1-2 semesters) <-- which I have no problem with, as I am doing them right now and would probably even get a higher mark. 

j_rus said:
I doubt the credits would be transferrable, as I am not in an 'official program'; with an 'official transcript'.

I think it might be worth your while to do some research on their web site.

j_rus said:
**The only problem is, everything I would have worked at this school term might be going to waste.
So this year would be a waste of money.
BUT, id be doing the pre-reqs again at RMC (which would take 1-2 semesters) <-- which I have no problem with, as I am doing them right now and would probably even get a higher mark.

If you want to know what courses could be credited at RMC, you might want to consider emailing the Prior Learning Assessment people at RMC. Their the ones who deal with accrediting courses from other universities to RMC credits/courses.

plar@rmc.ca

No guarantees they'll be able to tell you anything but its worth a shot if you really want to know. If that doesn't work, you could try emailing Admissions@rmc.ca

All in all, I'm confident at least some of your courses might be accredited based on the people I know who came from other universities and who are now at RMC.

Thank you for all responses.
I wrote everything up at the library very quickly.
Never took the time to read over and edit.
Tomorrow morning, I will give rmc a call @ 09:00.
If administration gives me a green light, I will ship out my app. post-haste.

I will update how the cards deal itself out.
There must be other people like me, having the same issue.

I am just going to throw this out there; hasn't the deadline for application already passed for admission in the 2011 fall semester? I might be wrong, but I think you might want to contact your nearest CFRC about that one.

pudd13 said:
I am just going to throw this out there; hasn't the deadline for application already passed for admission in the 2011 fall semester? I might be wrong, but I think you might want to contact your nearest CFRC about that one.

the recruiter told me yest (jan 19) that the application deadline is may.
i am going to phone RMC around 4 pm today.

j_rus said:
the recruiter told me yest (jan 19) that the application deadline is may.
i am going to phone RMC around 4 pm today.

PLEASE!

You are applying to go to University; a Military University.  Please try to be professional and appear educated and use proper English, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.  If this is an example of your writing and communications skills, you are not likely to be accepted.

Interesting, maybe there is a later application deadline for mature applicants.

May does seem really late. If I remember correctly, I was told that it was within the first couple weeks of February when I applied last year. I was applying as a "Mature" student to Civvy U and I was offered the position at the end of March. That was after the first round of selections, so I don't see how the deadline could be in May. Stranger things have happened though......

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/13064/post-929392.html#msg929392

Why apply as a mature student at all? I'm 24 had been out of university for 5 years. I just applied to RMC and the ROTP program normally. Was accepted. Graduated high school with an 86% average, we will not speak of my ill fated term at a civilian university.

A key point to remember here is that you are applying to join the CF as an officer.  You are not simply applying to a university.  Your preferred entry plan is the Regular Officer Training Program (ROTP).  In many ways, a university education is only one part of the means to an end (an officer's commission).  RMC is only one of many institutions that can get you there.  Stop thinking of RMC as the only way to get where you want to go.  If you're already at Concordia, get yourself into a program and apply for ROTP.  The CF may decide to leave you there and simply pay your tuition.  They may also decide to send you to RMC.  The end result is the same - a commission in the CF.  Whether you received your degree from RMC or any other university makes absolutely no difference in whether you become a pilot or not.

Hello everyone,

I tried searching in the forums for the question I have but could not find anything. I apologize in advance if a related topic does exist. I was wondering if the selection board takes in to account whether one has a pilots license or not when selecting potential pilot candidates. Not necessarily a Private Pilot License but maybe a gliders license. Does it affect their decision in the selection process or is it just a bonus point to have which may have little say.

Again, apologies if topic already exists and thanks in advance.

Sorry if you misunderstood me Michael. I should have been a little more clear. My question is that after you have passed your ACS and medicals, and the board are reviewing the candidates does having flying experience, for example a gliders pilot license affect their decision. I am also aware that if they have to choose between two candidates with similar credentials and one has flying experience they will opt for the one with experience. But is having a license a part of the criteria along with marks, extra curriculars or is it just a good thing to have to better your file? If there are say 30 seats available for pilot and out of the 100 suitable candidates, 40 have previous flying experience. Will those 40 automatically be preferred over the other 60 or are marks, volunteer work, sports etc weighed more in comparison? 

Thanks

I wouldn't think so, unless you have an instrument rating along with your glider licence, a few hours of turbine and/or multi-engine time, and your glider licence is a commercial rather than a private one.

Son applied ROTP Pilot  2008 and is at Civ Uni now.  No  emphasis  on experience was placed on his application.

For  many years possession of a civilian license was not considered however  2009,  around  Oct/Nov  our older son (DEO Pilot applicant)  was  told by his recruiting office that civilian experience,  and licenses held,  would be considered in the forthcoming much delayed uptakes (he had passed ACS a couple of years earlier.)  He  took a  trip to Florida in Jan 2010 and burned his savings  to get a PPL and was selected Spring 2010.  He jas just completed Basic.

However you should understand that policy, especially with regard to aircrew applicants  changes almost every year.  Talk to someone at your  recruiting office and make sure their advice is current.

ChrisG said:
For  many years possession of a civilian license was not considered however  2009,  around  Oct/Nov  our older son (DEO Pilot applicant)  was  told by his recruiting office that civilian experience,  and licenses held,  would be considered in the forthcoming much delayed uptakes (he had passed ACS a couple of years earlier.) 
On what do you base this statement?  I would think it foolish for the CF to not consider whether or not an applicant has a civilian qualification pertinent to the occupation they are applying to; it shows that the applicant has relevant skills/experience and should therefore have a higher probability of success in the desired career field. 

But with that being said, a civilian license hasn't been and is not now a requirement for application, and it's only one relatively small piece of the pie.  Of course, that could be the piece that means the difference between being selected and not, so it definitely doesn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back