• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalyan3 said:
yea but im sure there is a minimum mark I would need for English (which is not like 86...)

If there is, your answer lies with the registrar at RMC, and not randoms on the internet. Check their website for course requirements, or talk to your guidance counsellor.

Kalyan3 said:
What kind of mark do I need to get in english to get into RMC (either Arts or Sciences)
Im doing the cource in summer school right now and i got a 71 for the mid-term.
I need to make a decision on whether to drop it and take it in day school or to just keep it.

After reading that and two more posts, I would highly advise you to put 200% more effort in your English studies.  You definitely could never have achieved a 71% many years ago with such a display of spelling and grammar.  If you hope to attend RMC, you will have to write an essay explaining why you want to go to RMC.  You will also have to write an autobiography, several times in your early military career, so you had better get a grasp on some good writing skills.  Right now, I would not hesitate to place your paper in the REJECTED pile.  You have a long way to go in order to change that likelihood.

Okay, Thanks for the help  ;D
Im going to keep this cource and work a lot harder at it

You need a pass to be admitted.  Beyong that is competition.  Obviously with bare minimum, you chances of getting in are far less, because more people are likely to be above you in the competition process.

Yea i defiantly need to..  :nod:
I'm not the greatest when it comes to spelling.. lol

Kalyan3 said:
Yea i defiantly need to..  :nod:
I'm not the greatest when it comes to spelling.. lol
The Internet is a great place to begin your practice. Here more than anywhere else we type a lot of things, often in high amounts or at rapid speeds. Spur of the moment, about varying subjects. We are often not obligated by any consequences to adopt a good vocabulary or to properly conjugate things, but if you get a sense of pride and responsibility about doing it, then it is a habit that can transfer into your professional life as well.

Hi,

I'm interested in applying for the ROTP and transferring to the RMC. I am currently enrolled at the University of Waterloo in Electrical Engineering (Coop). There are a number of reasons why I would like to switch and I know it's a bit late but I found about the ROTP program only this past March. As a result I've completed all of the required applications (ROTP, RMC questionnaire etc.) and I've tried to apply twice (once in June and once in July). Both times I've been denied because they only accept applications beginning in September.

Now, for those of you who aren't familiar, Engineering at Waterloo is coop and follows a 4 month school term followed by a 4 month work term sequence. Since I am about to finish my second school term (my last final is this Friday) I am planning to apply for the ROTP first thing in September and hopefully get some sort of indication (perhaps a conditional offer?) prior to the beginning of my next school term (which starts Jan 4th 2010). Is this possible? A recruiter told me that starting this year they no longer do early admissions and the board gets together sometime in February to make offers. The problem is that I've been told I have to start in first year at RMC and it would be a total waste of time and money to do another term at Waterloo.

Furthermore, I would like to know how competitive my grades are (I am planning to apply for Electrical/Computer Engineering at RMC with these 3 occupational choices: EME, Combat Engineer, Communications Engineer)

• In high school, I finished with a score of 39 on my IB Diploma and a 95% cumulative average.
  • I completed my first term at Waterloo with an 88.12% cumulative average (3.9 GPA converted), placed on the Dean's Honours List and ranked 13th overall in the 2013 Electrical Engineering class
  • I am expecting a similar result this term as well.

Lastly, I did quite a lot of volunteering during high school (not much nowadays) however I did work as an Assistant Programmer at Scotiabank for my first work term and I was in both basketball and soccer intramural leagues here at Waterloo. I have numerous clubs/activities during my high school years as well, although I am not sure they really look at these.

Any help/hints/insight is appreciated!

Thanks.

I'm sort of new here, and I'm sure that this is a frequently asked question, so please forgive me.

I am currently in grade 12 and I really want to apply to the RMC of Canada to become a pilot. My average is not that great, and is in the 70s, but my goal is to reach a mid 80s average. I participate in many extracurriculars, as well as showing leadership skills on a daily basis. I personally think that I wouldn't be a bad candidate for the program, but was informed otherwise on a visit to the recruiting centre here in Toronto. I was told that unless I had a very high 80s average (maybe even a 90s average) my chances of becoming a pilot were slim, if any. Is this true? If I still apply with a sub-par average, would I be placed into my second choice. Can I work my way back to pilot from that program? For any pilots out there, what was your average/what extracurriculars did you have when you applied, and do I have a chance?

i don't know the answer to any of these questions, except if the recruiter told you that is what you need, then thats what you need.  RMC is a very competetive school, an averge of 70 would not get you very far(i would think). Most of the kids there have scores like high 80s high 90, if you want to get it i think you already missed the deadline, or its coming up sooon ? (someonecorrect me when it is).

kneet001 said:
I'm sort of new here, and I'm sure that this is a frequently asked question, so please forgive me.

I am currently in grade 12 and I really want to apply to the RMC of Canada to become a pilot. My average is not that great, and is in the 70s, but my goal is to reach a mid 80s average. I participate in many extracurriculars, as well as showing leadership skills on a daily basis. I personally think that I wouldn't be a bad candidate for the program, but was informed otherwise on a visit to the recruiting centre here in Toronto. I was told that unless I had a very high 80s average (maybe even a 90s average) my chances of becoming a pilot were slim, if any. Is this true? If I still apply with a sub-par average, would I be placed into my second choice. Can I work my way back to pilot from that program? For any pilots out there, what was your average/what extracurriculars did you have when you applied, and do I have a chance?

I applied for History at RMC, as MARS, coming out of HS with a ~75% average over 3 years, a part time job, and 3 years of mickey mouse leadership in cadets. I got my acceptance call during the first round of selections in February 2008.

Close friend of mine applied with the same cadet experience, a +90% average, part time job and his PPL. He was told by his recruiter that his high average actually put him out of the running for PLT. He later applied for and got PLT during VOR season.

Applying with a high 70s average will get you ACSO, but it will be a stretch for PLT, it's a highly sought after trade. The key thing about your application is that you NEED to have something that will set you above the other 3000 applications. Like a PPL.

Hi there, im new to the forum and im guessing this was asked quite a lot. Before anyone gets mad, I DID use the search function on the site as well as google.
My concern is that my ROTP interview is in 8 days. and for the interview they will be asking questions about ROTP and Pilot training. I have already googled and searched the RMC website but all i get are the ROTP application forms and some general info on the ROTP/Pilot training.
can anyone either explain or give me a link where it explains the ROTP and Pilot training to a fair depth?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Deadline for final round of interviews is early February. However, getting your apps in ASAP will help your odds of getting selected in the first round of selection boards out.

I'm sorta in the same boat as you. I'm doing grade 12 but w/ the International Bacc. program, and I got my PPL & GPL after spending 5 years training with the RCACS on CFB Comox, and now I teach aviation theory. I would love to spend my career in the skies, but in reality with my calculus mark hovering around ~70% and the rest of my grades of a B barely A average, I don't think my odds are that good when stacked up against all the rest of the applicants... I decided to go with RETP Logistics w/ Business admin after seriously considering my odds.

From what I hear from ex-cadets that are now in RMC, the odds of switching trades are pretty high if done in your 1st or second year, and provided that there's space, and that your grades, sports, and military training have significantly improved.

As a peer, I would say just apply anyways... It would only take you an hour or so to fill out all that god drat paperwork. And from there... Get in as a pilot, GREAT! get in your second option? at least you've got your foot in the door, now get your grades up and talk to the career councilor after 1st semester. Turned down? those grades meet the requirements for many liberal arts programs in civie Universities... Pass first year with great marks, and volunteer as a CI at a local RCACS Squadron then apply again!

Best of luck in your pursuits.

Here is my advice:
In your 3 trade selection spots on the application put nothing but pilot (if you put MARS or anything combat arms you'll get that)
Be confident in becoming a pilot (the recruiters and the career managers that do your interview can smell wannabies) ie. When I was asked what I would do if I wasn't chosen for pilot I said I would quit (advice given to me from many many CF pilots current and retired)
Flight time is optional
Take whatever you read on this forum with a grain of salt stats change all the time and you have no idea who is writing on this forum (trust me before I got in this site freaked me out...a lot haha)

The first interview you do is all about whether or not your going to be accepted into Air Ops/ if your worth sending to aircrew selection so your high school marks and leadership (well the little that most people have) is what their looking at (and while some may think working as a shift manager at McDicks is leadership it wont help you when your completely sleep fucked and you need to lead your section for your mission in Farnham). All I'm trying to say that if you want to be a pilot its a long and dedicated road and you have to be ready for it. They have a year to evaluate you and if its the same for you guys as it was for me you wont fine out your trade until your almost done BMOQ. Hurry up and wait and if your meant to get in the sky you will.

Cheers good luck and like a said take what I said with a grain of salt because as far as I know the whole selection system could be changed... haha

I'm going to recommend that you take MaddogJr's advice and hope you enjoy a career as a civilian. It's obvious the this person ha VAST experience in the CF and recruiting and the Recruiter you talked to had no idea what they were doing even though they are trained and probably have more than an hour and half in the CF.  Going through the process WILL make you an expert in what's done at a Recruiting Centre. Putting Pilot as all 3 choices is definatly the best way to impress the MCC that is doing your interview. I know it would impress me to no end and I move heaven and earth to get you in the pilot's seat.

Now after reading what I just said. If you believe it put a large sum of money in small unmarked demoninations and put it in a plain white envelope send it to me and I will guarantee that you never see it again.

Talk to the recruiting centre and ask to speak to the ROTP coorinator. I can pretty much tell yu that if your marks are low in high school then you will have less of a chance to become a Pilot that someone who is in the 90's. After the first year you will be told whether you are going to be a pilot or not. If you have a second chioce at least you stay in the running.

Further to FDO's post ... I'D like to remind MaddogJr that if you take the time to look at people's profiles who are posting, quite a few of us have placed our qualifications there so that people know when they are hearing from a SME in a certain topic ...

I still do it, if I question the validity of someone's post, I will look at their profile to see if they have the experience and qualifications to back up what they're saying.

Otis

MaddogJR said:
Here is my advice:

Don't take his advice!

MaddogJR said:
When I was asked what I would do if I wasn't chosen for pilot I said I would quit (advice given to me from many many CF pilots current and retired)

Really?  My colleagues and I have answered many questions here, during school tours, airshows, etc and not ONE of us has ever suggested this.

First of all, you can't quit if you haven't yet joined so, if you actually said this during your interview I would have seen you as arrogant and probably would have stopped you there.  Thankfully I'm not a recruiter, eh?

Second, most of us in the military consider ourselves soldiers first.  An attitude like that during an interview would likely make the recruiter think that you're in it simply as a way to get into Big Red.  Also not very good.

MaddogJR said:
Flight time is optional

This is probably the only point I agree with.  I've seen people go through training with little to no hours and top the course.  I've seen others with hundreds of hours under their belts and fail miserably.

MaddogJR said:
...and while some may think working as a shift manager at McDicks is leadership it wont help you when your completely sleep fucked and you need to lead your section for your mission in Farnham).

Again, how do you know this?  I suspect a manager who ran a fast-food join, carrying out orders, scheduling shifts and managing people probably would be better off than an Air Cadet who spent every summer working on leadership, glider and power courses without actually getting their hands dirty as staff and only took a leadership role at their Sqn twice a week.

Maddog -- take Otis' advice and fill in your profile.  Telling people to take your advice with a grain of salt is alot easier for them to do when they know where you are coming from.

Ok to start I would like to say that I by no means meant to offend anyone’s credentials, stir the pot or give someone advice that would jeopardize their chances of getting selected for what they want. That being said all I have for experience is that of what my dad, brother, various relative, friends and myself had gone through. Not knowing your trade right away is really stressful especially when you are hearing rumors left right and centre.

First all the advice that was given to me was before I started the recruiting process. My dad and a couple of his friends sat me down and imparted all the advice that they thought would help me in my recruiting process. Although they may have been getting a little crusty, when 3 guys with about 10 000 hours a piece give you advice you take it and roll. They were pretty much telling me to be confident and it worked. The comment about quitting well that was a direct quote told to me by an older guy and yes he very very crusty. Did I tell the MCC I was going to quit…never but I did go into my interview confident, new my stuff inside and out and I think the advice that was given to me help that. 

The attitude of putting all your eggs in one basket is not for everyone and if getting an education subsidized is more important than becoming a pilot then keep your options open. I was just imparting what was told to me. I guess all I have known growing up have been pilots that wanted to be nothing but a pilot. Oh and I think I’ll give you my stats now because I think I’m going to retire at 3 posts:
OCdt
2 years
MOSID - 00183 
So you know where I'm coming from, I was accepted into AirOps spent a year of school as a GSO-00240, went to St. Jean not knowing my trade. And found out the end of July.

OH!  Please don't retire after only three posts.  Please keep us informed as to your progress through Moose Jaw and then later Portage. 

(And yes I know what goes on in Portage la Prairie)

MaddogJR said:
I think I’m going to retire at 3 posts

Well, if you quit that easily, you're not too likely to end up sporting wings.

And even knowing where your advice came from, I'd still not recommend it for anybody else.

Although I did put down Pilot three times when I strolled into the Barrie Recruiting Centre two years ago...

The nice, but rigid, Sergeant said "You're supposed to put down three choices, sir".

I pointed at the wings on my flying suit (I was merely CTing back into the Reg Force after a decade as a Happy Reservist) and asked "What are they going to do, make me a cook?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back