• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oral Presentation Idea

krimynal

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys ! ,

So for my last Oral Presentation ( part of my University degree progress class ) I was thinking about speaking about the army.  I don't want to only speak about what I'm gonna do in the army ( artillery ) but more about , what exactly people should know about it.  Like for those who think that army = infantry = death , like show them the good side of the army , that we need to use them , we need them in our country , we need them to prepare , etc. etc. etc.

a week ago the university went on and set posters throughout all the building stating that military money was useless , we were paying for nothing , we should just close the army and put the money some place where it actually matters.  It really made me freaking pissed , because I can't believe how people have no idea of what is going on around them .....

the oral presentation is to last around 5 to 10 minutes , and the goal is to convince the people in the classroom of anything you want , you have to convince them of something that matters to you , you have to leave the presentation with people wanting to know more of what you said. 

I thought about speaking of the school the Canadian Army helped raised in Afghanistan , of the troop we sent to Haiti when the disaster happened , but I want more ideas like that , I want to show people that a Canadian Soldier , is not a cold hearted killer , but in fact he is just the opposite !

Thanks !

Since I'm not at work, I don't have DWAN access right now, but a good place to start might be to search the site for the "speakers notes" they put up for people who are going to speak on Remembrance day. I'm not saying just do a "cut and paste", but if you base your presentation off the themes and speaking points you can't go wrong (in several ways).

are the speaker note available only on the DWAN website ? because I don't have access to the website neither !

krimynal said:
Hey guys ! ,

So for my last Oral Presentation ( part of my University degree progress class ) I was thinking about speaking about the army.  I don't want to only speak about what I'm gonna do in the army ( artillery ) but more about , what exactly people should know about it.  Like for those who think that army = infantry = death , like show them the good side of the army , that we need to use them , we need them in our country , we need them to prepare , etc. etc. etc.

a week ago the university went on and set posters throughout all the building stating that military money was useless , we were paying for nothing , we should just close the army and put the money some place where it actually matters.  It really made me freaking pissed , because I can't believe how people have no idea of what is going on around them .....

the oral presentation is to last around 5 to 10 minutes , and the goal is to convince the people in the classroom of anything you want , you have to convince them of something that matters to you , you have to leave the presentation with people wanting to know more of what you said. 

I thought about speaking of the school the Canadian Army helped raised in Afghanistan , of the troop we sent to Haiti when the disaster happened , but I want more ideas like that , I want to show people that a Canadian Soldier , is not a cold hearted killer , but in fact he is just the opposite !

Thanks !

First, there are a number (quite a large number, actually) of first rate economists who will argue that defence spending is not just unproductive, it is, actually, counter-productive because of opportunity costs and all that.

But, second, you car and fire insurance are also unproductive expenses but smart people, including all those first rate economists, have both ... why? We all understand that there are, as Harold Macmillan probably did not really say, "events, dear boy, events," or, in a modern turn of phrase because "sh!t happens." And the events (or sh!t) are rarely predictable and often not of our choosing, not even our fault. So we have insurance. The CF - Navy, Army and Air Force, is the national insurance policy. We don't want to spend too much but we do, really, want to be sure that our insurance will provide good coverage when "sh!t happens."

So, what does the CF do? It defends and promotes Canada's most vital interests anywhere in the world. It does so by:

1. Keeping or restoring the peace so that Canadians can go about their lawful, commercial business in peace and security; and

2. Eliminating threats to the lives, liberties and property of Canadians everywhere ~ and it does that by engaging the people who threaten us in combat.

The CF is, for Canada, like the "good neighbour" in the State Farm commercial .... or it is if Canadians pay enough. Right now the military budgets are stretched too thin; we understand why - the economic crisis is real; but, soon, we will be in danger of becoming the other driver, the one with the "other" insurance policy. You, we, get what we pay for.

yeah that's a good idea , speaking about the comparision of a Home / Car insurance , and the Canadian Insurance compagny , I like that way !

anything else ! haha ?

E.R. Campbell said:
First, there are a number (quite a large number, actually) of first rate economists who will argue that defence spending is not just unproductive, it is, actually, counter-productive because of opportunity costs and all that.

But, second, you car and fire insurance are also unproductive expenses but smart people, including all those first rate economists, have both ... why? We all understand that there are, as Harold Macmillan probably did not really say, "events, dear boy, events," or, in a modern turn of phrase because "sh!t happens." And the events (or sh!t) are rarely predictable and often not of our choosing, not even our fault. So we have insurance. The CF - Navy, Army and Air Force, is the national insurance policy. We don't want to spend too much but we do, really, want to be sure that our insurance will provide good coverage when "sh!t happens."

So, what does the CF do? It defends and promotes Canada's most vital interests anywhere in the world. It does so by:

1. Keeping or restoring the peace so that Canadians can go about their lawful, commercial business in peace and security; and

2. Eliminating threats to the lives, liberties and property of Canadians everywhere ~ and it does that by engaging the people who threaten us in combat.

The CF is, for Canada, like the "good neighbour" in the State Farm commercial .... or it is if Canadians pay enough. Right now the military budgets are stretched too thin; we understand why - the economic crisis is real; but, soon, we will be in danger of becoming the other driver, the one with the "other" insurance policy. You, we, get what we pay for.

To add to your points; the Canadian military is also involved deeply in, not only the military defence of Canada, but the humanitarian side: fighting forest fires in B.C.; Manitoba floods; Search and Rescue at sea and on land; and other calls in response to Aid to the Civil Power, even a snow storm in Toronto ( >:D). 

Yeah I guess I'll use a powerpoint , like , first showing the normal images that most people have , about a soldier overseas in a firefight or something like that , then go with something like : Is this really it ????

then show pictures of them helping in forest fires , in floods , etc. etc. etc.

OK, but be careful not to get trapped by these hostile questions:

"So why do they need guns if the most important thing they do is humanitarian work?"

"Why do you need tanks/artillery/fighters/etc/etc "

"Why don't we just have a big National Emergency Service instead of a military?" and, of course:

"What happened to peacekeeping?"

pbi said:
OK, but be careful not to get trapped by these hostile questions:

"So why do they need guns if the most important thing they do is humanitarian work?"

"Why do you need tanks/artillery/fighters/etc/etc "

"Why don't we just have a big National Emergency Service instead of a military?" and, of course:

"What happened to peacekeeping?"
Or work on possible answers, like:  "If aid is being delivered, in a worst case scenario, sometimes bad guys don't want the aid to get to where it's going, or they want to steal it - how do you convince those folks to let the aid through if they have guns?"

I'm sure you're a smart enough guy to do more research than just here to come up with concrete examples for
these "keep in your back pocket" responses  ;)

I will do research , the point of this post , was more in the idea of :

What do you think the people should know about us , like other than the trades in itself , like the overall Ideas , what do you think is really worth mentioning and pointing

but yeah I will check deeper for more accurate facts !

To quote good ol' Uncle Rick (ret'd): "The Army's job is to be able to kill people."

Everything else is secondary.

krimynal said:
I will do research , the point of this post , was more in the idea of :

What do you think the people should know about us , like other than the trades in itself , like the overall Ideas , what do you think is really worth mentioning and pointing

but yeah I will check deeper for more accurate facts !
I think you need more than a collection of factoids to present a cogent case, and to confront your (inevitable...) opponents properly armed. You need to point out the underlying rationale for having a true military and not just the Red Cross with guns. Here are a few:

-UN Peacekeeping has never held higher than third place in our national defence priorities, thus our military has always been  structured, trained and equipped primarily for war (sometimes not very well, but that's another issue...);

-We have never been a "neutral" country in the sense of Switzerland or Sweden: we have always been prepared to make armed military commitments, albeit reluctantly in some cases, on somebody else's behalf;

-The primary purposes of our armed forces have always been the defence of our country, followed by assistance to our allies in various arrangements such as NATO and NORAD;  and

-if bad guys are armed, we probably should be too.

By presenting this underlying reasoning for "why the military is what it is", you avoid being trapped into appearing to say that the military is something that it isn't, which you may be very quickly caught out on. It is what it is, for good reasons.

While you don't want to start foaming at the mouth about killing people and smashing things, don't forget that part, either.

The killing bit, I mean. Not the mouth foaming part....

Aw crap..

Totally NOT what I expected when I saw the title of this thread...  :crybaby:

Seeing as it is for university, how about a book recommendation. Check out Desmond Morton's A Military History of Canada. Dr. Morton is not only a graduate of RMC and a former officer himself, he is also one of the foremost authorities on Canadian Military History. Most importantly for your topic, this book is subtitled "a military history of an nonmilitary people". It's a great read and might give you some ideas on how important the military has been as an institution in our nations development.

krimynal said:
Hey guys ! ,

Thanks !

I'd suggest using the 'what I learned about myself from being in the Army' type approach. No one can argue with you about your impressions, and they always tend to put themselves in your shoes (especially if you invite them to during your talk).

They might even learn something.

Here's a good example. Longer than 10 minutes, of course, but a good example nonetheless:

Stanley McChrystal: Listen, learn ... then lead
http://www.ted.com/talks/stanley_mcchrystal.html

I would agree to personalize the presentation. Make it about your own experience, or about another Canadian individual. Personalize and humanize the topic and subject matter. There are tons of examples available online. That way the heckling, hissing and potential spitballs during your presentation may be minimized. After you wow them all, and they slow clap your presentation, please report back to let us know.

Good luck to you and kudos for engaging in a subject that is somewhat taboo in universities nowadays, or at least the support thereof.

I will totally let you know , I'm still trying to put all the "important" subject I want to talk about , trying to figure exactly what I plan on saying , its not a debate , so I'm not worried about getting chewed on in a corner , but I still want to leave the front of the class , with people in the audience thinking "I might have thought something wrong about these guys".

I might also use the "sensitive" card , like , pretty much all the people I know in the military would much rather choose to do help mission everywhere in the world , go help in floods , in fires , etc. etc. etc. ... Sadly there are also people that need our help with a much worse problem , people holding guns , and people treathing the life's of other .... these people may also be a treat to us Canadians over there , they could be African , Muslims , German , whatever , as a soldier or an officer we signed up to try to help the wrong.  We signed up to try to make a difference so people in these problem may one day be able to live like we Canadians do.  To have better rights , to have more freedom and a lot more liberty. 

or something in these lines

krimynal said:
I will totally let you know , I'm still trying to put all the "important" subject I want to talk about , trying to figure exactly what I plan on saying , its not a debate , so I'm not worried about getting chewed on in a corner , but I still want to leave the front of the class , with people in the audience thinking "I might have thought something wrong about these guys".

I might also use the "sensitive" card , like , pretty much all the people I know in the military would much rather choose to do help mission everywhere in the world , go help in floods , in fires , etc. etc. etc. ... Sadly there are also people that need our help with a much worse problem , people holding guns , and people treathing the life's of other .... these people may also be a treat to us Canadians over there , they could be African , Muslims , German , whatever , as a soldier or an officer we signed up to try to help the wrong.  We signed up to try to make a difference so people in these problem may one day be able to live like we Canadians do.  To have better rights , to have more freedom and a lot more liberty. 

or something in these lines

Or:

"We are not the public service of Canada. We are not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able to kill people."  :nod:

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/rick-hillier-reconnected-canadians-with-forces-1.305402#ixzz2k1bDVN9B
http://www.ctvnews.ca/rick-hillier-reconnected-canadians-with-forces-1.305402

yeah but people in my class are pretty subjective of the whole killing people stuff .... they do know that it happens , but I'm trying to show them the other side , the fact that its not ALL we do ..... the fact that we also have great individual that are not thrill about killing people and keeping a record of how many hits they've made !

Back