• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this a smart or stupid idea?

RichardCaan

Reaction score
Good day,

Is it a good idea to put 25lbs -50lbs in a backpack/rucksack and carry it with me throughout the day at University? In total my backpack will be weighing about 55 - 60 lbs with my laptop textbook and school stuff.

What do yall think will I build good core and back strength or will it just be a massive inconvenience?
(for context, I have BMOQ in the summer and I am already used to carrying around 25 lbs, I want to be able to eventually move with a 75 lbs rucksack comfortably )

Good day,

Is it a good idea to put 25lbs -50lbs in a backpack/rucksack and carry it with me throughout the day at University? In total my backpack will be weighing about 55 - 60 lbs with my laptop textbook and school stuff.

What do yall think will I build good core and back strength or will it just be a massive inconvenience?
(for context, I have BMOQ in the summer and I am already used to carrying around 25 lbs, I want to be able to eventually move with a 75 lbs rucksack comfortably )
Have you been carrying weight already? If not, I wouldn’t jump right to that weight. Maybe toss a 25lb plate in there. 50lb is into ‘pain in the ads’ territory for lugging around daily.

Also consider if your backpack can carry that weight regularly without self destructing. Pack the weight snugly and close to your back. Wrap it with a hoodie or something so the weight doesn’t damage your stuff.

Good day,

Do you have an actual waistbelt and adjustable shoulder straps so everything sits properly? Those are on large rucksacks and hiking bags for a good reason.

I used to regularly carry 30-40 lbs of books and what not in uni and it sucked. If you want to build core and back strength, you'd probably be better off getting an exercise program and visiting the uni gym regularly so you do it under control. Plus if you want to go to the pub or something after class you aren't hauling around a sand bag or something bulky and kind of dumb.

Maybe make sure you have decent ankle support as well. Last thing you need is the additional weight coming down on a rolled ankle…

Tell that to my IAP staff in 2006.

Edit. Yeck. Writing that made me feel old.
simpson abe GIF

(for context, I have BMOQ in the summer and I am already used to carrying around 25 lbs

In addition the the good advice here I would practice carrying a heavy pack before or after school where you're walking very quickly, almost at a light jog.

You want to strengthen the muscles (or whatever it is) on the front of your shins.

Tell that to my IAP staff in 2006.

Edit. Yeck. Writing that made me feel old.
BOTC 1 and 2 enter the chat.

OP: If you do decide to do this, don’t do it every day. I’d suggest starting off on alternate days to let you body have some rest days. That being said, honestly I’d just go work out at the campus gym.

Season 4 Jasper GIF by The Simpsons

You start to feel really old the day you discover a subordinate has the same birthday as you, but they were born more than a year after you got your CD.
I had a recruit at our College who approached me after class to ask "Are you (son's name)'s Dad?" I said "Yes, I am. How do you know my son?" He replied "You and your wife used to babysit me when I was a toddler." My son is 35.

Damn, seeing all this I had to look. Out of 10 others in my section only 2 were alive when I joined and they were babies at the time.

Good day,

I've been doing ruck marches with roughly 30 lbs in my daypack at least 2-3 times a week, during 5 to 8 km marches. Probably going 40 pounds soon and doing 10 km when spring hits.

Nothing wrong with preparing yourself, but when I did BMQ back in 2004, I was zero prepared or physicaly fit and built core muscles during the BMQ, which lasted 13 weeks back then.

Good luck !

Back