• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Online Computer games[Actually All Things Gaming]

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of Civ IV later this year!  I just hope my computer will be able to run it.

Jordan411 said:
Just wait for battlefield 2 to come out. That seems to be the only game that makes me want to go out and get a new computer.

Have you pre-ordered it yet? After BFV's flop..Im not holding my breath for BF2. We'll see when the demo comes out... (supposedly this week)

Sh0rtbUs said:
Have you pre-ordered it yet? After BFV's flop..Im not holding my breath for BF2. We'll see when the demo comes out... (supposedly this week)
My computer is definately not up to par to play this game, but I have been following the development of it. IGN has some really nice videos, you should take a look at the trailer too

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/677/677882/vids_1.html

Sh0rtbUs said:
waaaaay ahead of ya   ;D

whats the specs on your PC?
Well my computer is quite capable of looking at the army.ca forums, listening to music/watching dvds. And that is all. The technical specs? Pentium 3 piece of shit not capable of playing anything better than command and conquer...

BF2 will be the one reason I'm not going to leave my computer room this summer   ::) :p

Anyone heard of F.E.A.R.?  It's coming out for the PC this fall, kind of a mix between your standard FPS shooter with Japanese-influenced horror.

bf2 is on pre-order... cause when I saw the m249 being fired I had to buy it.

you guys must know of operation flashpoint 2 coming out... also another good one

picking up gta - san andreas tomorrow.

F.E.A.R looks nice, I got into the beta but couldnt play cause all of the 'beta keys' were exhausted  :threat:

what kind of video card are you guys using? I ordered a radeon 9800 pro last night... cause I am using an old geforce 3 ti200 right now... and its not cutting it anymore. I know the 9800 was king in 2002-2003... hoping it can still hold its weight.

Im pushing with a radeon 9250 256mb card. So far its doing good, Im going to invest in another stick of 512 Ram though

I would suggest waiting for the new line of ATi Radeon's to be released this fall before moving to a new big-budget video card.  Investing in more RAM may boost performance, however, in most modern games any amount of 1GB of RAM won't make for significant boosts.  Upgrading to 1GB if you don't already have that much is a great idea though.  The Radeon 9800 PRO 256 is a great card, and will still work great with today's games, however, if you're looking to upgrade in the near future, I'd wait until Q4/2005.  Prices will drop for today's products with the release of new hardware, and the new hardware may seduce your wallet as well.

As for games, the Rome: Total Realism modification for Rome: Total War is outstanding.  The original version of that game was a bit of a let down, but this mod changes everything. http://www.rometotalrealism.com I currently play Counter-Strike:Source, and will be competing at various tournements this summer, you know, to help pay for my tuition.

Im currently sporting 512 mb, which seems to run all the BFV, BF1942, HL2 games like a dream. #2 player servers full on BF1942 on some of the most complex maps run perfect, but i still feel the upgrade to a gig couldnt hurt.

I played the demo for Rome, and didnt like it. Whats the mod do? I actually worked on the battlegroup 42 mod for BF1942.

Sh0rtbUs said:
I played the demo for Rome, and didnt like it. Whats the mod do? I actually worked on the battlegroup 42 mod for BF1942.

No, I didn't care much for the original version of the game either.  The RTR mod basically takes the fantasy out of the original, and puts more history and balance into it.  Bigger map, faction changes, model changes, new cities, economical systems, AI, etc.  I hardly play it right now because I'm involved in another game, however it's fun to play when I feel like I need to invade the Roman lands with my horsemen and elephants. 

When I said, "..in most modern games any amount of 1GB of RAM won't make for significant boosts." I meant to say any amount 'over' not 'of'. You may see an improvement with 1GB over 512, especially in Half-Life 2.  You'll definitely want that extra 512 if you plan on playing BF2.  I'm not much of a Battlefield series fan, but I've played it before and know it can choke a decent system.

Guild Wars, I'm playing it on my laptop,

and when BF2 comes out, I'll play that on my laptop too :p

agh... im sure some of you have played the bf2 demo by now?

im pretty angry at the eroneous graphics card requirements... plenty of people are being cut out simply because they wanted to use a very weird shader version... basically anything geforce 4, 3... or ati cards below 9700 cant play the game.

how do you think that will do for their sales?

Terrible. Im one, with my Radeon 9250...and I must say, Im slightly p*ssed.

There was talk of them working it out with catalyst and their drivers to help broaden the compatibility with cards. I dont plan to buy the final anymore...

CIV III ADDDICT  :D Jeez, I've wasted most of my adult life on the CIV series, do you guys remember Colonization by sid, that was a great game also. I play some CS but the freakin wankers on there drive me bonkers, can't handle the wannabes.  ::)....Fire in the hole. 8)

For the Steel Panthers Brigade

Try Combat Mission : Beyond Overlord and Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Belin

Excellent company to regiment sim..Units rep squads, teams and individual veh and guns.......

3D view (Scales rom steel panthers style eagle eye to worms eye view)....
Includes morale, leadership, experience etc....
Not a C&C clone but a combat sim, easy order system...you and your oppo (PC or live) give orders...then hit "GO"
Battle commences for 60sec of real time...

Very moddable with a hugh array of skins, missions and stuff out there..(Check out Mike Derosh's great site for great Canadian skins)

Plus the map / mission editor is user friendly

SB

i just rammed a nvidia 6200 256 mb and a 512 stick plus a brand new mother board into my computer lol i went all out. Playing BF2 and Call Of Duty United Offensive Currently. Was rated in the top 15 players currently playing Call Of Duty UO heheheh I'm number 12 lol. darn sick leave has left me with way to much time on my hands.

If any of you guys play COD: UO a lot you may have heard of me if you have xfire add me its just mcteer lol i know I'm original and my in game name is also McTeer again originality once one on my part lol anywho yeah

I like DoD, Im hooked again, played almost 8 hours straight...then work called  ;D...ahhh dod_Charlie, I used to pla CoD alot but i lost the disk...I like turn based games, dunno why though, I have been playing this demo for over 6 months not for a game called strategic Command, in a nut shell its WW2 all over again getting to chose either axis or Allies and conquer the free world or deliver it...it goes from 1938-1946...demo is only until you conquer France :(
UBIQUE!!!!
DoD calls

Well guys, it turns out there IS a canadian military game out. I was amazed of what a couple of hours watching the history channel and a few website clicks can give you.

http://www.historytelevision.ca/operationvictory/

go to that website and check it out. You won't be disappointed  :)

have fun

yea, saw that game in an edition of the magazine that our mess gets... whats it called?

Back