• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Okay then. It was from Sweden and called VEAK. It was based on the Strv 103 und used two 40mm L/62 Bofors canon´s.
Tested in 1965.

Free turn.

Regards,
ironduke57

Once the answer is posted it is easy for me to conclude my theories were on target (4 road wheels, Bofors mount).

Nice one.

Roll again...

xiaofan said:
Is there any one know what are these?
No 1 is a Chinese Type 63
No 2 is a Chinese Type 85
No 3 is a Chinese Type YW 534
No 4 is a Chinese Type 90

Jungle said:
YW 534 = Type 89

The "Type #" is a western designation

Jungle said:
No.2 is Type 63-I and No. 3 is a Type 85.  Three of four APC showed here are not PLA standard issue equipment. They for export market, Type-63-I and Type-90 did not get any order, and Royal Thai Army is the largest customer of Type-85.

Type-89 aka ZSD89 and YW534, have different hatch. Type-85's hatchs are similar to these on Type-63.

MCG said:
YW 534 = Type 89

The "Type #" is a western designation

All Chinese equipments have two designations one is the manufacturer designation, and other is PLA designation. The PLA designation before 1990's is just designated by year (just like Type-63), at 1980's or 1990's some one decide to update the designation system by add some abbreviations before the year, so the new system in PLA are have designetion like ZSD89 (that is for type-89 APC), and unofficial we still us the old system.

I think according to the rule I should turn this over to some one who get the correct answer.So please take it.

Look at this baby:

wtft.jpg

Tamil Tigers tank apparently made from YW 309 chassis and Saladin turret. The chassis looks more like a type 63 apc to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36169878@N07/3567178153/

vG

The Tamil flag kinda gave it away  :)

I don't have anything handy, so the floor is free.

vG

I found this long time ago, they are look like M-60A2 turret mounted on M-48 chassis, so any one know what model are them?

It's the M60A2, designed to fire the MGM-51 Shillelagh missile from its gun (mostly known from the Sheridan).

vG

vG said:
It's the M60A2, designed to fire the MGM-51 Shillelagh missile from its gun (mostly known from the Sheridan).

vG

And some more info:

The M60A2, nicknamed the "Starship" due to its Space Age technology, featured an entirely new low-profile turret with a commander's machine-gun cupola on top, giving the commander a good view and field of fire while under armor but spoiling the low profile. It also featured a 152 mm main gun similar to that of the M551 Sheridan light tank, which fired conventional rounds as well as the Shillelagh anti-tank guided missile (ATGM). The fitting of a CBSS (closed breech scavenger system), which used pressurized air to clear the breech after each shot, solved the problem of unburnt propellant from the main gun rounds fouling the barrel and pre-detonating subsequent rounds. The M60A2 proved a disappointment, though technical advancements would pave the way for future tanks. The Shillelagh/M60A2 system was phased out from active units by 1981, and the turrets scrapped. Most of the M60A2 tanks were rebuilt as M60A3, or the hulls converted to armoured vehicle-launched bridge (AVLB) vehicles

I do not think these are M-60A2. According to wikipedia "[M-60] had a hull with a straight front slope where as the M48's hull was rounded, had three support rollers per side to the M48's five," and the chassis of these tank in picture fit the description of a M-48, they have a round front slope and five support rollers on each side.

Sorry missed the M48 rounded tell tale hull.

Here's a discussion about it on another ofrum:
http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10999

It's in a park in Armada MI, and they think it's Shillelagh prototype on an M48 hull, possibly some sort of M48 CEV prototype, and apparently tied in with the T95 test tanks.

vG

Back