• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

well.... scale will always be a problem but, there are certain aspect that look familiar in the PUMA
Could this be an early mockup / prototype of the PUMA?

geo said:
well.... scale will always be a problem but, there are certain aspect that look familiar in the PUMA
Could this be an early mockup / prototype of the PUMA?

thats what I was thinking as well, I keep thinking its some form of puma

This picture has 6 roadwheels while the production has only 5 but, given that this is a prototype, I'd wager it's an early prototype that started with what the Marder had & built from there

Not related to the Marder 2 [1]. It is maybe possible that some of the experiences gathered with it where used in the PUMA, but it is not related to it.

Regards,
ironduke57

[1] http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/pix/bw_spz_marder_2-003.jpg

It kind of looks like a tracked variant of a prototype electric AFV I saw once, called the Advanced Hybrid Electric Drive (AHED) 8x8 from General Dynamics.  But the bird I saw had 8 wheels.
Buggered if I could get the pics to load, so I provided a link:

http://www.generaldynamics.uk.com/media/newsarchive.html?article=2006050455025

Versuchsträger EGS (Experimentalwanne Gesamtschutz)?

My German isn't that good, so my reading of the scant material I found leads me to think that it may have been under the NGP program.

Blackadder1916 said:
Versuchsträger EGS (Experimentalwanne Gesamtschutz)?

My German isn't that good, so my reading of the scant material I found leads me to think that it may have been under the NGP program.

Bingo. It is the EGS testbed. Your turn.

Regards,
ironduke57

French LOHR VPX 5000 armoured vehicle.  Interesting the Janes entry has no info on a variant with four Milan.

AmmoTech90 said:
French LOHR VPX 5000 armoured vehicle.  Interesting the Janes entry has no info on a variant with four Milan.

You got it.  There were a number of prototypes mounting different weapon systems including a 50 cal turret, HOT ATGM (both above) and Milan (see below).

http://www.pmulcahy.com/best_stuff_that_never_was/best_lcv_that_never_were.htm
The VPX 5000 is a small scout APC, similar in concept to the US M-114, but with a more versatile chassis able to mount several weapons mixes. The MCT (MILAN Compact Turret) is a small mount for two MILAN ATGM launchers. The version with a HOT Launcher has a simple external HOT ATGM. THE MASCOT/MILAN has an externally-mounted remote machinegun and an external MILAN launcher. The BTM-208 turret has two machineguns. It is very light and has reasonable performance, but nothing outstanding (other than speed), and that probably led to its demise.

Ok, this one might be easy or hard.  Depends on how far back you are...

Some editing to remove key recognition features.

Bonus (virtual points) if you can tell me what's in the background.

Back