• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

ironduke57 said:
Swedish ?-> Yes.
auto loader ?-> I dont´know for sure, but possibile.

Regards,
ironduke57

Swedish you say. i was going to say Russian Josef Stalin/T10 because those were the only tanks I know of that had "v" shaped glacis plate the all had six road wheels. To me its looks like the main gun from some tank and the contraption on back looks like a radar - especially the fire control radar from a SA-6 Gainful system. Possibly the radar is used for checking gun muzzle velocity?? 

Swedish, 4 road wheels, what appears to be an auto loader at the rear.

"S" tank prototype?

I'm leaning more to an Israeli machine. Centurion gun matlet. It looks to be a 20pdr barrel and the running gear definitely has a centurion heritage same as the drive sprocket and idler. The V shaped glacis plate looks to be lifted from the Stalin.  I'll have to keep digging but it sure strikes me as one of the very strange test vehicles we'd see occasionally in the Golan.

As Manfred Powell said in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: "My ignorance amuses me!"

Very good one from Ironduke.

Here is where I lean right now. We already know it is a Swedish design. 

On top of that, I see a mantlet and long 75mm gun from a German Panther. SWE got one from France apparently in 1946 for testing purposes.

I see the tracks, road wheels, and suspension of a Centurion (minus two road wheels). SWE had those too.

The part that baffles me is the hull.  I can think of only the UK's A38 Valiant, which had a convex hull with "two-bumps." However, this one is much, much narrower????

So, my guess is this was a mobility test bed for what became the Strv 103.  It is not the S itself, the hull is much longer than the S and the S is also wider than this prototype.

That's my guess at this point.

Cheers,

Gasplug :salute:

low-profile experiment?-> I don´t know for which sort of trials it was used.
Strv 103 s ?-> It was a test bed for it, after the original development program was canceled.
Remote control tank? -> I don´t know if it was remote controlled for the tests.
Possibly the radar is used for checking gun muzzle velocity?-> And again I don´t know if it is an radar or its use.
"S" tank prototype?-> Second line.
Israeli? -> No. See post 4457.
Centurion parts?-> High probability.
IS related?-> No. Only inspired.
75mm gun from a German Panther?-> No.

Just to make something clear: The pic shows it at his second life as a Strv103 testbed, but I want to hear its original designation.

And now time to sleep.  :coffee:

Oh and ladies I expect the right answer when I am up again. >:D ;D

Regards,
ironduke57 ;)

In 1959 Bofors got the order to build two main prototypes (S1 and S2) to "stridsvagn S" as it was called, S standing for Swedish. The prototypes were delivered in 1961.

The need for elevation and depression was tested on a Strv 74 (also developed by Sven Berge) chassi with a long gun barrel mounted on the chassi. A hydropneumatic suspension was tested on the chassi of another earlier swedish tank project, the KRV.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/NSDraftroom/ar/t9723.htm

I could now be cruel and like a teacher at school ask which one of the choices is your answer, but I am a nice guy (well at least some times).

The searched designation was KRV.

When I used that pic years ago there was only one webpage which even mentioned it. Now it is even on the wiki page for the Strv 103. (That´s why I though I would find the right answer here already when I would wake up last night.)

Its your turn Larry.

Regards,
ironduke57

And the wife wonders why I get nothing done around the house ::)

So they mounted the gun and auto loader on the KRV as well?

I have nothing at this time....floor is open..... :salute:

Noone? Okay then I will make one but the next time someone else has to post one.

Regards,
ironduke57

I know at what tank you think and no you are wrong.
wink.gif

Regards,
ironduke57

Mitsubishi Type 89 IFV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Type_89_IFV

Back