• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

My first thought when I saw this one was that it was a version of a Gleissketten-Lastkraftwagen (track chain truck) 'Maultier' (Mule).  These halftracks were primarily developed due to the poor mobility of the all-wheeled vehicles (mainly commercial type trucks) that bogged down in the mud and ice of the Eastern Front.  Four major types were modified: 3t Opel-Blitz Type 3.6-36 S;  3t Ford V8 Type G 398 TS/V 3000 S;  Magirus Type S 3000;  4.5t Mercedes-Benz Type L 4500 R.  Supposedly, the first three types were fitted with a copy of the British Carden-Lloyd running gear, with the last type using a PzKpfw. II running gear.

The track on this vehicle doesn't match any that I've seen on Maultiers and the truck bed seems much shorter than usually found on them.  But the Germans (assuming it is German) did mods on a lot of other vehicles so it may be known by a different designation.  A hint, perhaps?

OK

Hint no 1... Based around an Imperial Russian pattent
Hint no 2... Developer went bankrupt

geo said:
Hint no 1... Based around an Imperial Russian pattent
Hint no 2... Developer went bankrupt

UNIC P107

Thanks, situated the estimate and focused on German vehicles instead of also looking at captured vehicles used in the Wehrmacht.  The French occasionally had good ideas and a lot of their halftracks were used

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82928
UNIC P107
3932 pieces of this halftracked artillery tractor were in service in 1940. Used to tow the 75mm and 105mm C field guns.
There were also an engineer version of the P107, an air force tractor version as well as 2 vehicles converted to radio trucks (ER30 / R30 radio sets) and used by the 1e DCR.
Weight : 3.55t (live load 1.5t + towed load 1.5t)
Length : 4.85m
Width : 1.80m
Height : 2.30m
Maximum speed : 45 km/h (4 cylinders, 3460 cm3, 52 hp at 3200 rpm)

German use and conversions : Zugkraftwagen U304(f) (Unic-Kégresse P107)
• Leichter Artillerieschlepper P107 U304(f) (to tow 3.7cm Pak36, 7.5cm Pak97/38, 7.5cm PaK40, 10.5cm leFH18)
• Mittlerer Munitionskraftwagen (munition transporter)
• Leichter Mannschaftstransportwagen (with a wooden open-top compartment to transport troops)
• Bergefahrzeug (towing/reparation car)
• Leichter Schützenpanzerwagen : in 1943/44, P107s were converted to personnel carriers leSPW U304(f). They were stripped of their superstructures and fitted with armored hulls that were almost like the SdKfz 251 series (20cm higher). Issued to armored units in France.
• leSPW U304(f) (Funk) - Equivalent of the Sdkfz 251/3 radio/command vehicles
• Selbstfahrlafette U304(f) with FlaK 38 – Unic P107 partially armored mounting the 20mm Flak 38
• Selbstfahrlafette leSPW U304(f) with FlaK 38 –armored P107 mounting the 20mm Flak 38 (72 produced for the Schnelle Brigade West)
• Zugführerwagen leSPW U304(f) (PaK 36) - Equivalent of the Sdkfz 251/10, mounting the 37mm PaK 36
• Granatwerfer leSPW U304(f) (8cm GrW) - Equivalent of the Sdkfz 251/2, mounting the 8cm mortar
• Sanität leSPW U304(f) - Equivalent of the Sdkfz 251/8 ambulance
• Nachrichtenkraftwagen

The Unic factory was also used by the Germans. In all about 200 Unic TU1 U305(f) and 3000 Unic P107 U304(f) were used by the German army.

Blackadder, the honours are yours.

BTW, you have to remember that this was based on an original Russian design.
Considering these guys were just borderline Industrial revolution when WW1 broke out, it is incredible to think that they would have come up with the idea.

geo said:
Blackadder, the honours are yours.

BTW, you have to remember that this was based on an original Russian design.
Considering these guys were just borderline Industrial revolution when WW1 broke out, it is incredible to think that they would have come up with the idea.

Say what one will about the Soviets in the 19302 and their purges etc, but one has to give those 5 year industrial plans credit. They literaly dragged the country from the 19th century into the 20th.

Hmph... would think that they started up with material that was "very early" 19th century.
A very backward country - near serfs and all.

Italian  AB41/43 201

37 AB41 armoured cars were captured by the Germans in 1943, with a further 20 produced for their use. Another 120 were produced with an improved engine and turret known as the AB41/43.

These excellent Italian armoured cars were issued to the Aufklarungsabteilungs (Reconnaissance battalions) of some German divisions in Italy.

Thank you, thank you very much. At work with limited resources now and have to do some shopping later. Will post later this evening when I get home and have access to something good.

Ok this shouldn't be too hard. Bonus points for when and where.
afv1.jpg

Not sure of the name, but I think I drove one on exercise. Matter of fact, that may be my young Troop Officer looking for me. :D

That is..a WWI British Whippet Tank.....yes, I'm 100% positive it is  ;D

Information from wikkipedia

Type Tank
Place of origin  United Kingdom
Service history
In service 1918-1930s

Produced 1917-1918
Specifications::
Weight 14 t
Length 6.10 m (20 ft)
Width 2.62 m (8 ft 7 in)
Height 2.75 m (9 ft)
Crew 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor: 14 mm
Primary armament: 4×0.303 mm Hotchkiss machine guns
Secondary armament: none
Engine 2×Tylor petrol
2x45 hp (67 kW)[1]
Power/weight 6.4 hp/tonne
Suspension unsprung
Operational range  ?
Speed 13.4 km/h (8.3 mph)

Don't think so Lazarus, shape looks wrong to me at least.

Also the rear deck isn't the same as the one picture in wikipedia (which has been known to be wrong at times)\

My 2 cents worth, take it for what's it worth.

well..instead of it being your word against mine Grinch, lets see what others have to say.
That way we avoid a whole lot of trouble.  :)

soldier's uniform makes me think of Japan or China
Dozer type of tracks
prolly 20/30 era build.... will research when I get home.

Back