• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

No decoy. A experimental vehicle from the eigthies. It was maybe! also used with the Roland development. I don´t know that, but that is not what made it at the time this pic was taken special.

And you have to know what is special about it as AFAIK it is not possible to see it from the outside. Maybe on minor details but which are not visible on this pic.

Regards,
ironduke57 >:D

Well likely a testbed for the Puma IFV concepts, as mentioned RH driver postion, there is a small vent midway down the vehicle side not seen on other versions except for the Begleitpanzer prototype. the vent might be for a apu or computer systems. The Roland version did not have that vent, but did share the same smoke dispensers in the same postion. Best I can do at work.

Well then. It was an test vehicle for an diesel-electric drive train.

Free turn.

Regards,
ironduke57

Seeing how this thread has vast expertise in AFV recognition, I have a request.

A few weeks back, I was at the Mt. Ormel/Polish Monument in Normandy.

There is a Sherman tank there.  A fellow tourist was waxing on how it was a Sherman Firefly.  Well I know it is not a Firefly - wrong muzzle break,  it sure looks like a 76mm gun, but could the experts on this thread help with precise details on this Sherman?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8549277@N04/4895523306/

Much appreciated. 

Haletown said:
Seeing how this thread has vast expertise in AFV recognition, I have a request.

A few weeks back, I was at the Mt. Ormel/Polish Monument in Normandy.

There is a Sherman tank there.  A fellow tourist was waxing on how it was a Sherman Firefly.  Well I know it is not a Firefly - wrong muzzle break,  it sure looks like a 76mm gun, but could the experts on this thread help with precise details on this Sherman?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8549277@N04/4895523306/

Much appreciated. 

I have a vast expertise in Google.

According to the Mémorial de Coudehard - Montormel website you are correct..
Sherman Tank M4A1, 76 (W)

This Sherman tank, christened “Gen. Maczek” and “Maczuga”, belonged to the Polish Armoured Division. This model is a late version, more modern than those available during the Falaise pocket fights; it is fitted with the 76 mm gun that was intended to improve the efficiency of the Sherman when dealing with German heavy armour.

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m4sherman.html#M4A1(76)W
The British nomenclature for 76mm gun Shermans involved adding an "A" to the designation, so M4A1(76)W became Sherman IIA.

Wet ammunition stowage was incorporated into the M4A1(76)W, hence the "W" suffix in the designation. This involved storing the ammunition in double-walled boxes. The space between the walls of the boxes were filled with water; ethylene glycol to prevent freezing; and Ammudamp, a rust inhibitor. When these boxes were penetrated, the water would snuff out the resulting ammunition fire. Wet ammunition stowage, and the stowage of most of the ammunition under the turret rather than in the sponsons, drastically reduced the Sherman's propencity to burn; the "W" tanks were no longer "Ronsons." In 76mm gun tanks there was a 6-round ready rack in the turret surrounded by 2.1 gallons (7.9L) of water and a box on either side of the drive shaft, one holding 30 rounds and the other 35, with a total of 34.5 gallons (131L) of water. The welded applique armor was eliminated in wet stowage tanks, as well as most of the turret basket to enable use of the floor ammunition boxes. A partial floor was retained which was suspended from the turret ring.

Seventy-six-millimeter gun tanks used a new turret modified from the medium tank T23. The T23 was never standardized, but that test series went on to produce improvements that were incorporated into other tanks (like the T23's turret), and ultimately culminated in the M26 Pershing. The turret of the first M4A1(76)Ws were fitted with a split hatch for the loader, which was replaced with the small oval hatch about one-third of the way through the production run.

The 76mm guns themselves differ in the following ways: the outside recoil surface of the M1A1 was lengthened by one foot over the M1, thereby allowing the trunnions to be moved forward and providing better gun balance; the M1A1C had the end of the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake; the rifling of the M1A2 was one turn in 32 calibers versus one turn in forty for the other weapons. All M1A2s were equipped with muzzle brakes.

thnx  . . .  I too did the google thing but there are so many mods & sub-mods of Shermans and different
designations - US/British I just can't be sure.

here's a front 3/4 shot showing more details.  There is a possibility that this tank is actually parts of two
tanks that were conveniently mated for display purposes.

Not sure if it matters, however the Isreali Sherman has the older VVSS while the 2 US one's have the HVSS.

thnx ++ to everyone who has assisted via postings & PM's

Pretty much nailed down to an M4A1 76 (W)  with T48 tracks and the T23 late model turret.

Just like this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M4A1_on_Panzermuseum_Munster.jpg

You want the name of the tracked vehicle, or the name of the field gun it is carrying?

This has got to be the least sophisticated self-propelled artillery I have ever seen :)

Back