• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MOst active reserver unit??

M

MousePotato

Hi , im looking at joining the CF reserves as an infantry soldier.I live in the GTA(greater Toronto area of Mississauga)and am looking for a regiment that is very active, being deployed often to either combat or peacekeeping missions.
Which is the most active regiment in the GTA.

an entire reserve unit hasnt been deployed since WW2

Reservists can volunteer to go oversea‘s for peace keeping ops, an I heard Afghanistan(if they qualify) an they will attached to a Reg Force unit

just wait for somone else thats been in longer to clarify
an provide more info

Thanks.

So what does it take to qualify. And are there any particular regiments that would be more likely to qualify.

I‘m not sure if theirs preference for units

just join the nearest Infantry Regiment

from what I hear to go overseas as an infantry, you need to have atleast your BIQ(Ql3 Infantry). then they do a pysch exam(to see if mentally you can handle it, medical tests, make sure your shots are updated, if no their give them to you, one person that‘s in my unit, he said that some soldiers needed up to 6 shots. Um.. theirs some info on this on my units website, I‘ll get it for you later

but, just so you know, it‘ll be a while before you can go over seas, its not like you can just join up an go

This past Thursday I got to check out the new CFRC in Mississauga. Its on 33 City Centre Drive, right by Square 1. Stop by and take a look, MousePotato.

Ask about the Lorne Scots. They‘re a light infantry regiment and the local milita unit for your (and my own) area.

Im going to the information session in Mississausage in April. ;)
I will have to look up what those other qualification terms mean.

if your wondering what BIQ is, its your Basic Infantry Qualification

I have been told that if you join a Signal Regiment and become fully qualified in your trade, you will have a greater-than-average chance/opportunity to serve overseas (as a reservist).

This is apparently because almost every deployment requires signals people, so that the troops can talk to eachother, and of course, talk to whoever runs the show from Canada.

That said, most - if not all - infantry units, and many armoured and engineer units, will have a plethora of ‘old dogs‘ who have served overseas, sometimes several tours. The 48th Highlanders, my unit, has a couple people with chests full of medals/ribbons that would put most US generals to shame.

But I don‘t think it‘s all about the medals -- I think it‘s all about the experience you get in doing something like overseas service. I‘d love to say more, but as I‘m Normy Newguy, I can‘t speak from experience myself.

If you really, really want to go over the water, I‘d suggest reg force. They do it all the time as it‘s their full time job.

When tour spots become available they don‘t favour Regiments. At least, you would think they wouldn‘t.

Take this for example: Reserve Augmentation was authorized for Roto 0 in Afganistan. 31 (and 32?) Brigade were selected, or perhaps next up in the list I don‘t know how that part works. From what it seemed, for this Roto anyway, they were looking for particular qualifications and abilities in individuals. So with that, It is on individual basis, not Regimental. Your best chance for a tour, take all courses possable, and you will have a better chance of filling a hole over seas.

Back