• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Monthly Pay after deductions - Questions [Merged]

CBshadow said:
What's cool about that circumstance apparently is that if you bring your marriage certificate/children's birth certificate and leasing agreement/mortgage agreement they'll take off the monthly R&Q fee to subsidize the cost of your other expenses....tis what i've been hearing

Correct.

$650.00 twice a month, damn

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was handed a crisp new $20.00 bill twice a month.(1968)

When I was posted to Valcartier, on pay parade( yes we had to parade for our money) I got $40.00 twice a month.(1969)

1969 was the year Canada introduced the new $20 bill. Which they gave to all the military. Tried to spend it in Quebec City, no one would accept it.

$650.00 twice a month damn.

It's more than $650 for married and single, I just talked to my brother in law and he confirmed it. He was getting just over $750. This was as of December/Jan when he graduated Basic, since then he's gotten a slight raise and it's over $800. That is AFTER R&Q.

I don't think $650.00 sounds right,  thats what I used to make a teletech in my town , after deductions when I was working there and I was getting $10.00 an hour for 8 hours a day.  I think it might be a little bit more then that, depending on how you have your deductions, such as taxes etc, set up. And well if it is right I'd much rather be payed to do something I will enjoy rather then answer people questions about they're phones all day. My favorite is still,

"I just got my phone and it won't turn on!",
"Did you charge the battery when you took it out of the package sir?"
"Oh no I didn't, thank you!"
LOL happens all the time!!

Thank you RTaylor and everyone else who replied. This gives me a good idea of how to budget my pay.

One more question, if I may. I fly out April 19th and start training on the 21st. Technically my first pay should be the 30th, but should if be more realistic of me to expect my first to be on May 15th, due to administration/paperwork processing period?

Thanks again.

You'll recieve an advance on your 1st pay, I think $200 or $250 or so, to get gear and other stuff that you may still require (you're taken to the Canex for stuff in the 1st few days).

My best bet is that you'll not see a full check until a few weeks have passed, *but* when I did militia summer training I recieved a full weeks pay for like 2 days of work :)

Call the local CFRC and toss the question at them, they should be able to help.

not a clue somebody's gotta know that one though...good question

If you want to know the exact numbers, watch the basic-up series. I remember it being in there.

Basic Up is from 2006 I think, not recent and hte payscales change from year to year.

I was just curious, since the army has monthly deductions for housing/food etc, I was wondering what they were like in the navy.

I heard that the military gives a certain amount towards housing if you live outside the "base" (something like 600$ is what I heard) but if you live on the "base" they deduct anything from 70 to 550$ depending on your living quarters. That sort of makes sense in the army... sort of... but in the navy, where you spend long periods of time on a ship, I know you get sea allowance, but do they deduct "housing" expenses?

I was just curious about one months pay before deductions and taxes and the same months pay after... it just appears to me like it might get confusing when they give and take and give and take.

Can someone shed a little bit of light on this? I know the army, at one point when I when to the recruiting center had a sheet that showed a typical first year, first month (after bmq) pay sheet with all the deductions. Is there anywhere to find that online? And is it different for the navy?

Thanks.

STOP! 

SHAKE YOUR HEAD!

What do you hear?

Nothing?

There is one set of deductions set up throughout the CANADIAN FORCES.  It doesn't matter what uniform you wear.

Your landlord would still expect you to pay rent whether you were on vacation, out of town on business, or at sea. DND's policy is no different, nor should it be.

The policy is the same for Army, Navy & Air Force.

George Wallace said:
STOP!   

SHAKE YOUR HEAD!

What do you hear?

Nothing?

There is one set of deductions set up throughout the CANADIAN FORCES.  It doesn't matter what uniform you wear.

Easy George.

With all the emphasis of the last few years of "Army", "Navy" and "Air Force", we can't expect someone who isn't yet in the system to fully understand that there's only one administrative approach across the Services.

That is, after all, why they come here and ask.

Okay, so, just a follow up on my original post:

when at sea for long periods of time, you're sleeping on a ship in what people refer to as "racks", how much is deducted for that?

I get it that sea allowance, just like field allowance for the army, sort of counters the deductions of housing. And while "same for navy, airforce, and army" doesn't apply as sea allowance is clearly more than field allowance.

I understand that pay is the same for every rank no matter what part of the military you're in, but there seems to be different incentives for army, navy and airforce, so I was just wondering if there might be different deductions.

Also, I heard that in the navy, now I find this kind of bizarre, but when you're in international waters you don't get taxed? How is that possible? Just something I heard.

On another note: when out to sea for more than a few weeks, do you work 7 days out of 7 or do you get two days off? I have trouble picturing someone on a ship getting time off, but surely it must happen... Is there a lot of down time? Are days/nights/shifts generally normal such as 8 or 10 hours? I also heard shifts work in figures of 12... 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Just another question I had.

This is getting nonsensical..... ::)

If you have your own place...you get your PLD...if you are in a sea going position you are entitled to sea pay...you don't pay for your rack or rations onboard ship.

Also, I heard that in the navy, now I find this kind of bizarre, but when you're in international waters you don't get taxed? How is that possible? Just something I heard.
Foreign Duty Allowance....if you are operational you may not be taxed. If you are just conducting exercises then you still get taxed at the normal rates.

On another note: when out to sea for more than a few weeks, do you work 7 days out of 7 or do you get two days off?I have trouble picturing someone on a ship getting time off, but surely it must happen...
if you are sailing for 7 days then you work all seven days. You get time off when you hit port. Notwithstanding duty watches and any work days you may have. If you have a nice boss and things are quiet he may stand you down from a watch. Don't count on it though.

Is there a lot of down time? Are days/nights/shifts generally normal such as 8 or 10 hours? I also heard shifts work in figures of 12... 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Just another question I had
Down time depends on whats going on. if you are sailing in a 1 in 2 watch rotation you work 5 hours off for 5, work 7 off for 7. Depending on whats going on you may work for a couple of hours during your off watch time as well. It depends on the needs of the ship and your department at the time.

this has been discussed before though.

Thanks for the clarification.

I've been looking around at life in the military and it just seems that information on life in the navy (on official website and on these boards) is always 'summed' up. I like details myself.

I even have a friend who's been in the Navy for almost two years and whenever I do get to talk to him, he never goes into details on day to day life, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the bit of insight.

Dolphado said:
I don't think $650.00 sounds right,  thats what I used to make a teletech in my town , after deductions when I was working there and I was getting $10.00 an hour for 8 hours a day.  I think it might be a little bit more then that, depending on how you have your deductions, such as taxes etc, set up. And well if it is right I'd much rather be payed to do something I will enjoy rather then answer people questions about they're phones all day. My favorite is still,

"I just got my phone and it won't turn on!",
"Did you charge the battery when you took it out of the package sir?"
"Oh no I didn't, thank you!"
LOL happens all the time!!

Lol I am currently working at Teletech and planning on starting the process of joining in the summer. I make 701$ every 2 weeks. I assume that is just baisc pay to start while going through training. I assume when your done BMQ it would be over 700 bi-weekly. I mean I am joining because I want to do more with my life then as you said anwsering calls, but it doesnt hurt to make a decent buck doing it.

GUNS said:
$650.00 twice a month, damn

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was handed a crisp new $20.00 bill twice a month.(1968)

When I was posted to Valcartier, on pay parade( yes we had to parade for our money) I got $40.00 twice a month.(1969)

1969 was the year Canada introduced the new $20 bill. Which they gave to all the military. Tried to spend it in Quebec City, no one would accept it.

$650.00 twice a month damn.
$650 nowadays is like getting paid $20 in 1969. ;)

Back