• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Monthly Pay after deductions - Questions [Merged]

I know exactly how often I am paid but I find it quite common in the CF that mambers assume they are paid semi-monthly (my terminology on my last post was incorrect) when they are in fact not. We are paid monthly (12 pay periods per year), this took some math and digging for me to figure it out. In my case it is like so. Taxable pay and allowances SM =2426.00 taxation for bc would be(fed and prov) 523.90 every pay date equaling 1047.80 per month for tax and would be reported as 523.90 on each pay stub. this is not the case. Monthly pay and allowances 4852.00 taxes (by table) = 967.05 monthly, that matches the single taxation report on my mid month pay stub. CRA tables avail at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/topics/payroll/t4032/menu-e.html

The day you get paid does not determine the pay period.

ArtyNewbie said:
I know exactly how often I am paid but I find it quite common in the CF that mambers assume they are paid semi-monthly (my terminology on my last post was incorrect) when they are in fact not. We are paid monthly (12 pay periods per year), this took some math and digging for me to figure it out.

Look at your pay stubs: "MID-MONTH" calculates all of your deductions and pays you half the balance; "END-MONTH" pays you the other half.  Too easy.

And I spent no more than 5 minutes calculating those "mid month" deductions, and found them to be the same as REVENUE CANADA'S monthly pay period tables linked above. your mid and end month pay is in 2 equal allotments (split allotment) the remainder are monthly allotments. This could not occur if the pay period was semi-monthly as the Queen would be paying your bills/charities/rent/ wherever else you allotted your pay to go before it had been earned. I challange you to do the math based against your most recent mid month pay statement and I think you'll find the same results, otherwise we can agree to disagree.

Who cares?

For the newbies reading this thread, you'll get money in your account on the 15th and the last day of the month according to your pay statement. Simple.

ArtyNewbie said:
And I spent no more than 5 minutes calculating those "mid month" deductions, and found them to be the same as REVENUE CANADA'S monthly pay period tables linked above. your mid and end month pay is in 2 equal allotments (split allotment) the remainder are monthly allotments. This could not occur if the pay period was semi-monthly as the Queen would be paying your bills/charities/rent/ wherever else you allotted your pay to go before it had been earned. I challange you to do the math based against your most recent mid month pay statement and I think you'll find the same results, otherwise we can agree to disagree.

You got waaaayyyyy too much time on your hands. How about giving us a rest?

Ok....I know that there's no 100% answer here...but for those of you who are on BMQ or who have just finished BMQ what are you paycheques like on course?

I can see the payscales on DND's website, but I can't find anywhere how much they take off for room and board or anything else.

any rough estimate would be good - both for those who have bills/rent elsewhere and those who don't. I just want to know what I'm setting myself up for financially for the first bit.

Thanks!

Depends on if you are married or not.

When I was training full time, and I was officially common law, Rations and Quarters were not deducted from my pay, since essentially I would be paying them twice when I paid the rent and groceries. That was only applicable if I was married, because I HAD to maintain a residence in Ottawa, because I obviously could not take my wife on course with me (she wouldn't have come anyway, but that's not the point.)
If you aren't married, then Rations and quarters are about 575 a month, IIRC. Whether that's changed in the past 2 years I don't know... but I do know that in BMQ we didn't get paid for the first month of the course, as paperwork needed processing. We were however allowed to make a claim against our pending pay in the interim.

I realize this topic is considerably old and my question doesn't exactly relate to the original topic, but here we go...

When I start BMQ, I'll be completely broke.  This is fine for me because I don't have any bills/debt to worry about.  My only concern is putting together my kit.  Will the available $220 advance be enough to acquire all pieces of kit from the Canex?

LoKe said:
  Will the available $220 advance be enough to acquire all pieces of kit from the Canex?

You will be issued everything you NEED for your course, other than toiletries. Other stuff thats nice to have (notepads, other junk.) shouldn't set you back too much and your advance should easily cover everything, including your very first military haircut  :)

benny88 said:
  You will be issued everything you NEED for your course, other than toiletries. Other stuff thats nice to have (notepads, other junk.) shouldn't set you back too much and your advance should easily cover everything, including your very first military haircut   :)
All essentials are provided?  That takes a load off my shoulders.  Thanks a lot!  Also, you mentioned the haircut...would it be preferred that I get my head buzzed and shave clean before getting there, or do it when I arrive so that I'm sure to do it right?

LoKe said:
All essentials are provided? 

Uniforms and kit, food, and a roof over your head, yup. Upon further recollection, in addition to toiletries, you need to buy some padlocks and a shoe shine kit, once again, the advance covers it all.

Hello all,

I will be heading to St. Jean on April 19th and am trying to make sure my finances will be good while I'm there. Could someone who has recently been through BMQ tell me how much pay after deductions they received (single, not married)?  I tried doing a few different searches and found some older numbers, but I'm hoping for something more up to date.

Thank you in advance.

Hey there Solmyr , when i was in St. Jean , i am single, my net pay after deductions every two weeks is about $650 or so around that number, but if you have a house or place ur paying rent or if your married, your possible looking at another $400 on top of that cause of less deductions...dont quote me on the extra $400, but if your single without a place at home and that, your looking at getting the $650..every two weeks...hope this helps you.

Rugby11 said:
..every two weeks...

CF personnel are not paid every two weeks, we are paid twice a month, on the 15th (or last working day prior to that date) and the last working day of the month.

My brother in law, after the military equivalent of room and board were taken out, earned in the vicinity of $750-$800 he said. If your married or have dependants (common-law, children, etc) let them know as you don't have that taken out of your pay and I'm pretty sure you also get a small allowance for this.

I talked to one of his fellow trainees and he said that he had a wife and 2 children and after taxes he was earning a bit over $1000 per pay in basic.

HanrattSea said:
Why are recruits paid different amounts for doing the same amount of work?

Recruits who are married or have children are expected to maintain their place of residence while they are away at basic training. Since they are maintaining a separate residence, the Crown assumes the cost of their military provided room and board.

It's not a practise I really agree with but then again I haven't received any calls from the CDS lately asking for my opinion on policy.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
It's not a practise I really agree with but then again I haven't received any calls from the CDS lately asking for my opinion on policy.

Would you really want to be paying R&Q while away on course for a couple months, as well as paying all your normal bills back home and supporting a wife and kids?
R&Q right now is in the area of $500. Does that sound so great to someone making 650ish two times a month. I am quite happy having my R&Q covered, as well as TD when I am away from home.
If saving the army money is a concern, im sure you and me both could think of a few other things to change... :)

(R&Q is Rations & Quarters. For those new to the military get used to abbreviations and acronyms  :))

Whats the average amount of food you receive with rations(maybe best measurement in pounds) ...is it buffet style or what, because I eat a lot of food......a lot

500 a month is still minimal in respectable terms during bmq considering rent anywhere is more than that and food would be at least another 200 a month to eat properly if you were living the civvy life.

CBshadow said:
Whats the average amount of food you receive with rations(maybe best measurement in pounds) ...is it buffet style or what, because I eat a lot of food......a lot

500 a month is still minimal in respectable terms during bmq considering rent anywhere is more than that and food would be at least another 200 a month to eat properly if you were living the civvy life.

3 meals a day. Buffett style. Eat as much as you want.

Your room is somewhere around $100 a month.. and you pay around $400 to eat. (Give or take on either, I just know its around to $500 a month)
Yes, this is still alot cheaper than paying rent + groceries. My point was paying rent + groceries (for family back home) on top of paying R&Q. Thats where it would get expensive.

punkd said:
3 meals a day. Buffett style. Eat as much as you want.

Your room is somewhere around $100 a month.. and you pay around $400 to eat. (Give or take on either, I just know its around to $500 a month)
Yes, this is still alot cheaper than paying rent + groceries. My point was paying rent + groceries (for family back home) on top of paying R&Q. Thats where it would get expensive.

What's cool about that circumstance apparently is that if you bring your marriage certificate/children's birth certificate and leasing agreement/mortgage agreement they'll take off the monthly R&Q fee to subsidize the cost of your other expenses....tis what i've been hearing

Back