• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Monthly Pay after deductions - Questions [Merged]

Could anyone state roughly how much net pay is in the ROTP program?

derael said:
Could anyone state roughly how much net pay is in the ROTP program?
It all depends. Are you planning on going civvy U or RMC, things like that. At RMC, I was clearing about $300 every two weeks.

Awesome. That gives me a good idea of what I will have to pay bills and whatnot.

Do married personnel get paid more during trade qualification also? What about later in their career? Or only during basic?

twilight_girl said:
Do married personnel get paid more during trade qualification also?

Only if entitled to separation allowance at the time and for that period only.

What about later in their career?

Or only during basic?

Separation allowance is only that...an allowance when separated ( conditions apply) so no, married people do not get paid more.

twilight_girl said:
What counts as seperated? i.e. how far away?

Not living in the same residence.  But you have to be married or legally common-law for it to count.

I'm not sure if there are distance regulations, but I believe as long as you are living away from you spouse you count for it.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)  On basic, even if you spouse lives in lets say Montreal, you are still living away from them, because you are living in quarters in Saint-Jean.  I'm from Halifax myself, and I left my fiancee and daughter back home here when I did IAP and BOTP.  I however did not qualify (or did, but did not receive) separation pay, because I was sent on temporary duty "TD" and I received a TD allowance instead.  You cannot receive both TD and separation allowances.  However, during your time in farnham, if on TD you are taken off and given field pay (I think then you get both field pay and sep. pay, but I cannot remember)

You are not allowed to collect two allowances at the same time.

The SA is abated for any of the following periods:
a. temporary duty;
b. mandatory annuity break;
c. sick leave or compassionate leave of 15 days or more;
d. aboard ship when out of home port; or
e. while in receipt of FOA.

Source:  DCBA Aide Memoire

I thought that they recently changed it so you could receive both field pay and sep. pay at the same time, but could be mistaken.

As far as
d. aboard ship when out of home port; or
I'm from Halifax, so does that mean anytime I'm aboard a ship out of Halifax I don't qualify for both, but if I was aboard a ship out of Esquimalt I would?
Or is it meant to mean that anytime you're aboard ship you don't qualify, because every ship has a home port, and if it is out to sea it is away from home port.

ahh.. so sea pay = no sep. pay...makes sense
(as you can see I'm too new to have experienced this myself yet but will soon)

I was not aware that you paid for R&Q on your courses.

I am an Ocdt, single and no dependants. Does this mean that this summer when I go for my BMOQ I can expect to lose $500ish a month off of the net pay I'm getting now? I'm already paying mess fees for a mess 800km away.

That'll bring my monthly net pay to a grand total of $674. So much for saving any money during the summer for the school year.

If you are a reservist you wont pay rations and quarters while on your courses.

If you're posted to the base you'll pay for R&Q.  If you're sent on TD, you won't.

Ahhh :nod:, so I assume I'll be on TD, since I am currently posted to where I am going to school, and will still be posted here next September when I return to school. Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

ballz said:
Ahhh :nod:, so I assume I'll be on TD, since I am currently posted to where I am going to school, and will still be posted here next September when I return to school. Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Don't assume, you know what that does.
wink.gif
  You may end up getting attach posted, depending on how long your course is.

Back