• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mind of a Protester

Sorry Brad, but I respectfully disagree, to a degree, on your point

Creating an argument not only involves finding evidence supporting your viewpoint, but self-testing it against contrary evidence that may/will disprove it. I've found very few philosophy grads actually do this in their arguments, and know history/poli sci grads are even worse. When you point out the use of a heuristic such as stereotyping or a fallacy, they look like deer in headlights. Sure, I'm working on anecdotal evidence here, but that's all I really have to go on.

I do concede that grad students and profs are pretty good, but the BAs they produce are pretty lousy. They should concentrate less on education of theories and more on training in argumentation.

I just read over your post again Brad, and suspect your theory as to why many humanities students can't reason is correct - it's simply not a requirement in universities anymore. I don't remember having to take a course in it...So, mainly agree with you!

It's not about education anymore - it's about certification.

In light of all the conversation and controversy about the education of our youth here in Canada, here is a video that is quite disturbing but also makes you think twice about complaining about our education system. That's not to say I support what profs are teaching and students are believing.

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com

click on trailers and clips and then the 12min version.

:cdn: Support our Troops  :cdn:

Back