• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Looks for New Home for Commandos

Actually, Pet doesn't have all that great a Training Area size wise, Valcartier doesn't really have any at all, and Edmonton has Zero.  Pet does have a rather wide selection of Training areas to offer, but limited in size. That leaves us with the only areas to really conduct any large scale Training to be in places like Gagetown, Suffield, Wainwright and Shilo.  Each has its' own Pros and Cons.

Why not Wain. we have a landing strip for Herc.'s there plus out of sight out of mind.

Rumour in these parts are the old Jail Farm at Burritts Rapids[Rideau Correctional Centre], plenty of room, secure area, lots of old training buildings,about the same distance to Ottawa.

Ahhh, rumours........

If not, then Arnprior Airport.  Rent space from Boeing, and build south of the free-fall school.  Airfield, trg area, close to Ottawa, an hour from Pet, privacy.  Do we still own the land around the old CFS Foymount?

Tom

Foymount has been sold. In fact it was the setting for the made for TV movie Peacekeeper.

Wainwright is out..  CMTC and WATC basically have the entire trg area used 9 months out of the year.

The Pet Trg area is expanding..  I think this would be the best place to house the unit..  of course they would still use Connaught, Arnprior, etc for urban training..

I disagree Pet is to populated (with Military) an area to have the unit there.  They do like there secrecy.  I think revamping an old installation or building a new one is the way to go.  It also depends on how big of an expantion they are planning to have.  Are we talking 10's of guys or up to 100's of guys comming into the unit.  these are all factors that should be considered.  I also think they should have more then one location decentralizing this organization to west and central/east does make sense for deployment capability and such.

MOO

I also agree with wizard of oz pet has two infantry battalions there way to busy.

Can someone explain this to me. Why is it that members of JTF2 try to blend in with the rest of the CF but they don't wear rank or name tags? It just seems to me that if I was an enemy soldier and we captured  CF soldiers in our borders without rank or nametags wouldn't that kind of be obvious that they are special forces?

The problem with pet, from what i recall of my times there, is that 95% of the training seems to be done on the mattawa plains and the little area surrounding there. Theres a pretty huge area of land that seems to go generally unused.

Also take into consideration what the JTF do.  I figure they don't need huge areas of land to do their stuff.

What could they be looking for? Taking some guesses,

-Close to the capital
-open plains, swamps, thick forrests
-A river to conduct water ops
-Airfiend/abandoned airfield for obvious situations
-Military friendly locals
-easy access to a heliport
-ranges (for rifles, machineguns, explosives)
-a building they can practice playing spider man with
-secure fibua site (ie not one civilians can drive up to and watch
-close proximity to military units like infantry, engineers, armored, medics to conduct joint training with
-be able to blend in (roughly) with the locals (locals in this case being civilians, soldiers and ex soldiers)

Why not just split JTF 2 into two battalions? Send one out to the west(BC?) then keep the rest in Ottawa? I guess it does depend on how many new members are being added to the force, if its 10-50 they should be able to swallow up some farmers land and if we are talking 50-300 then send that Bn out west with a sprinkling of veterans from the original Bn to make one roughly the size of 250 troops, since the priority is lower out west we could reinforce it with the next batch of troops? How big is the JTF 2 org in Ottawa? And does anybody know for sure how many new troops are getting added?
UBIQUE!!!!

If we knew, and told you, there may be disappearances in the night  :blotto:

Old Sweat said:
Foymount has been sold. In fact it was the setting for the made for TV movie Peacekeeper.

Foymount is the Canadian home of Sierra Designs (Black Water Manufacturing) there is a Sierra Designs outlet store there!

I agree with Pet being out, I think that the JTF's presence would be disruptive - I mean having the whole unit there, not just a couple of Subs at the Tim's on base. Thats a lot of families too, and a lot of guys joined JTF just to get OUT of Petawawa. :)

Rumor has it that the team might be almost doubling in size. That definatly would necesitate(sp) a new home (or 2?). Of course how much room do you need for a bunch of guys who dont actualy exist????  :dontpanic:

I think the NCR is the best place for them to fit in. After all, we DO have about 15,000 office workers in uniform there, right?  ;D

Tom

Canadian Sig said:
Rumor has it that the team might be almost doubling in size. That definatly would necesitate(sp) a new home (or 2?). Of course how much room do you need for a bunch of guys who dont actualy exist????  :dontpanic:
Look at the size of Area 51 in Nevada, it doesn't exist either  ::)

Chags said:
Wainwright is out.. CMTC and WATC basically have the entire trg area used 9 months out of the year.

The Pet Trg area is expanding.. I think this would be the best place to house the unit.. of course they would still use Connaught, Arnprior, etc for urban training..

Really?

Are we expanding out into the River or into Algonquin Park or into Atomic Energy of Canada.   Petawawa has no room to expand.

They already conduct a lot of training in Petawawa.   They also conduct training in Trenton and other areas of Ontario, as well as in their home base.   They send people on courses all around the world.   They have people deployed all over the country and around the world.   They are recruiting more people all the time, as they are loosing people all the time to other organizations or retirement.   They announced last year that they would double in size, but as yet have not seriously needed to look anywhere else for a larger Training area, so everything in this thread is pure speculation and rumour.   It is really of none of our concern what they are doing.

GW

...but George, its much more fun than wondering whats going to happen on the Y&R.......

Ghost778 said:
-Close to the capital
-open plains, swamps, thick forrests
-A river to conduct water ops
-Airfiend/abandoned airfield for obvious situations
-Military friendly locals
-easy access to a heliport
-ranges (for rifles, machineguns, explosives)
-a building they can practice playing spider man with
-secure fibua site (ie not one civilians can drive up to and watch
-close proximity to military units like infantry, engineers, armored, medics to conduct joint training with
-be able to blend in (roughly) with the locals (locals in this case being civilians, soldiers and ex soldiers)

Why not central Alberta? Its a major econimic centre of Canada, in close proxmity to CFB Edmonton (well, like two hours). Other than being close to the capital it has every thing else on your list. The locals are all pretty much your average Albertan, so their pro-military and the population isn't that big, so keeping a secret wouldn't be that hard.

atticus

Yea but again its Alberta.  So it will never happen.  BC maybe, how about Dunduran they could train and run for hours before getting lost. 

Seriously though, If they do beef the unit up, I say split it into two teams one East Central it could stay at Dwyer Hill and the other out West in (god forbid) even WinterPeg, close to aircraft and all the training they need.  Hell even Shilo.  But some where out in the West to respond to this side of the globe if needed.

MOO

Back