• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Looks for New Home for Commandos

What about Mountainview? Isn't there a bunch of money going into that place?

George Wallace said:
  The New "Village" for FIBUA trg and the "JTF Tower" are prime examples of where some of their money is going.  

The FIBUA site was built entirely with LFCA money.

What about Mountainview? Isn't there a bunch of money going into that place?

Yep and as popular rumors go, i've heard quite a few people insist that it's being done for the JTF.

Rumour:

That new building off in that far corner is for......(look over left shoulder)the.....(look over right shoulder).....JTF.......or as we like to call them........the Wind.

Now, don't tell anyone......you hear?

1 RCR sent a Combat Team down there a couple of years ago, they beat the crap out of the place. Apparently the Air Force was shitting bricks. I think they landed a herc there too (maybe with a LAV on it), and some of the boys in the LAV III's painted it with their LASERS, I guess a bunch of alarms were going off in the plane.

From what I heard, the buildings were pretty wrecked after that ex, but the rumor is around that its getting fixed up. AFAIK they have a BIG runway there. It is also the "graveyard" for CF planes.

Ghost778 said:
Ottawa does have an airport but the JTF has also been insane about secrecy. Ottawa doesn't seem like the best place to stay out of the spotlight.

Heck, this is all the more reason for JTF to be stationed on either of the Coasts, They would be virtually invisible, as is anything outside of Central Canada to Ottawa  ;)

I don't think Pet is the answer as an influx of Cpl Jones's and Smith's may be a bit suspicious.  I do think that they should have two maybe even three areas to train.  BC being one of them as they could everything from desert to Jungle warfare out in some areas.  Such as Cultis Lake near the old Chilliwack base.  Then again they could got to Greenwood and be close to Halifax and such.  It all depends on how big of an expansion they are getting are we talking 10-50 guys or are we talking 50-250 new personal.  That would have alot of bearing on where they go.

MOO

There is an old Airforce/Army base  in Picton not mountain view I think the area is called Picton heights ? It has an airstrip and supposedly an old Artillery range not sure on that part never saw the range just the old Barracks and runway .   But the base was a good size hardly any one around to .

Picton (and karl28 is quite right, Picton does not equal Mountainview) was the home of 1st Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment which was disbanded and then, somewhat ironically, morphed in 1 and 2 Surface to Surface Missile Batteries (ironic that bird gunners were converted to Honest John missiles).   Picton was, also, home to a battalion of the Regiment of Canadian Guards until sometime in the late '60s or early '70s.

We still use Mountainview and Picton (i believe) to fly gliders out of for summer courses (Air Cadet Program).  As Mr. Wallace mentioned, the Para school also uses Mountainview for exercises.

I figure a good idea for JTF2 if they are indeed going to be expanding it, would be to use a system similiar to the US Navy SEALs.  Where they have SEAL team 6 stationed on the east coast and SEAL team 2 stationed on the west coast etc.  BC and Ontario ? have one group closer to NDHQ etc.

just a thought.

PV

PViddy said:
We still use Mountainview and Picton (i believe) to fly gliders out of for summer courses (Air Cadet Program).  As Mr. Wallace mentioned, the Para school also uses Mountainview for exercises.

I figure a good idea for JTF2 if they are indeed going to be expanding it, would be to use a system similiar to the US Navy SEALs.  Where they have SEAL team 6 stationed on the east coast and SEAL team 2 stationed on the west coast etc.  BC and Ontario ? have one group closer to NDHQ etc.

just a thought.

PV

That is more than likely what will happen. ;)

CFL said:
Pet doesn't have a runway capable of facilitating a Herc or am I being too simplistic here.
What about the nosedock at Browns we used to jump out of there all the time, or is it gone.

Too bad we gave up Rockliffe and it's airfield.
How about Connaught Ranges?
Or, kick the civie museum out of the Diefenbunker, and put it in that site there?
Arnprior Airfield?  Lots of room near the civie free-fall school (wink). ;D
Who own's the old LETE site now?
What about the NRC site adjoining Rockliffe?

Tom

The best place I can think of in the NCR is the land between the Shirley's Bay research facility and Connaught Ranges... they already have the kill-house there... however Connaught can get kinda busy in the summer...

I meant well.  8)  :salute:

what about actual aircraft available.  I know this isn't US SOCOM but would...or does JTF have an aircraft assigned to them 24/7 ? (herc). Panning out on the east coast west coast thing, do you guys think this would be an issue currently ?

cheers

PV

Rockcliffe is soon to become Low Rental Housing.  LETE is now under RCMP management.  CSIS in the area around NRC.  Uplands is getting guted and loosing ground to NRC and the new Ottawa International terminal.  Shirleys Bay and Connaught are still there, but being swollowed up by urban sprawl - wonder how soon some politician closes down the ranges due to safety?  Even NDHQ is in question - it now has offices spread all over the city and across the river.

George Wallace said:
Shirleys Bay and Connaught are still there, but being swollowed up by urban sprawl - wonder how soon some politician closes down the ranges due to safety?  

Safety isn't a problem but they get noise complaints all the time - mostly about the grenade range... well that's what happens when you buy a house across the road from an army base... it's only been there for what? 100 years now?? I'm sure some members at the new golf course will loby their favorite liberal politician and they'll close it down... it's hard to putt with all that automatic weapons fire going on...

yeah, besides, ive seen a few "long haired contractors" driving around in their SUV's around connaught. and its far too busy in the summer to put them there without a major expantion to the base.

Pett still seems like a good idea.
lots of space, not too many worries about security compared to some locations, and with a Griffon Sqn. there, theyre only a short flight from ottawa in case of an emergency.

but thats just the simple opinion of a Mo trucker.  and i could be wrong.

Back