• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

Haha, yeah I've been calling the recruiting center every week. You would think it would get annoying for them but they've encouraged me to do so, so call I shall.  >:D

Hey guys,  congrats on getting as far with your recruiting as you have.  It took a little over 4 months after I did the first officer board for me to hear that I was selected. (I did a few other interviews, but that was the big one)  I joined a reserve unit so I know the process is a little different,  there were 17-20 qualified people applying for one particular opening.  I am more than a little shocked that I got in.  I know it is just a spaghetti strip, it is technically an appointment not a rank,  but I went through 10 months of hassle and frustration to get it.  Now to get through BOTC/CAP and finish up my degree(s).  :warstory:

Does anyone know when the next boards for DEO / COETP for the January IAP/BOTP occur?

I am curious to know the answer to that question myself...as I am patiently waiting for my DEO offer to come through and have been told that my file is approved and waiting for selection by the powers that be.

Does anyone know the next meeting date?

They are supposed to be held every six weeks, though the recruiting centre will not necessarily contact you as soon as your file is considered.
I say phone your recruiter to find out for sure, and tell us how it goes.
My understanding is that until June '06, merit boards had only been held every six months, and as late as last year (I think) there were only two IAP/BOTC a year, where as now there are supposedly three.
The point is, whenever they are, potential new recruits have it pretty good.

The last board was 12 Oct 2006.  The next DEO selection board is 14 Nov 2006.  This is for most officers only, some occupations have their own boards which meet on their own schedule, e.g. intelligence, legal, etc.

EDIT:  I got these dates from the MCC at CFRC/D Moncton.

I will verify the selection board date.  Experienced a long administrative wait as my file bounced around for an Air Factor rating.  Anyway, from the officers that I know sh** happens quickly when it happens.

Thanks for the information.

I just received my offer for Infantry Officer today (DEO).  The folks at the centre said my file was in the Oct 12 pile.  I applied in August some time - and here we are.  I am now waiting to confirm the actual course I will be on (Jan or later?)  If its Jan then they said it would start on the 8th.

Hope this helps in the info sharing world.

spqr said:
I just received my offer for Infantry Officer today (DEO).  The folks at the centre said my file was in the Oct 12 pile.  I applied in August some time - and here we are.  I am now waiting to confirm the actual course I will be on (Jan or later?)  If its Jan then they said it would start on the 8th.

Hope this helps in the info sharing world.

1st of all, congrats!

Quick question though: were you notified you were selected or did you recieve your official job offer?

I was contacted by a Lt. who said I had a job offer and congratulations.  Next I am to be contacted by a Cpl. (my file manager) to be given the details about enrollment and the actual course I will be on.  I simply have to wait until she gets confirmation on the course.  They were in the same room at the time of the call and he checked the dates for the January course and the time of enrollment if I go to that course.

Ahhh.

There are a bunch of us who were selected by the September board who were called with the news and congratulations but have still yet to have our official offers/details arrive. Hopefully they are coming soon and we'll all be meeting up in St. Jean in January!

Wow, spqr.  Applying in August for January IAP/BOTC... that was fast!  Faster than fast!
Congratulations again, but what is your secret?

xmarcx said:
Ahhh.

There are a bunch of us who were selected by the September board who were called with the news and congratulations but have still yet to have our official offers/details arrive. Hopefully they are coming soon and we'll all be meeting up in St. Jean in January!

Myself included..........................

If anyone is in this same boat, please, keep this board updated with any news!

danyul said:
If anyone is in this same boat, please, keep this board updated with any news!

I got called last week about my enrollment date (December 20th). So I expect you'll get called soon. (That was the Montréal recruiting center.)

I'm still waiting for my offer as well even though I was selected in September. I've been trying like crazy to get a hold of a career counsellor as well so that I can maybe get some more info, but they are almost impossible to get a hold of. I really hope I don't miss the IAP in January.

Wow, spqr.  Applying in August for January IAP/BOTC... that was fast!  Faster than fast!
Congratulations again, but what is your secret?

I am not totally sure.  They did say they had the new streamlined process for my application.  I didn't even do a physical test, they said they will be conducted at St. Jean from now on as long as my medical didn't say I was too out of shape to make it to grade.  (It was a toss up as to whether I would have to do one so I still ran and ran and ran....).

I had a high GPA from Uni and I got two questions wrong on the CFAT (they told me) and I had all my medical paperwork in order the day I went in (I really had nothing extra except for a recent prescription for my eye glasses).  I also have a few years of managment experience with the YMCA which the interviewer said was my big selling feature.

These may all be factors but I think a big one might be that I was only applying for Infantry and there were a lot of openings.

I guess your management experience would have clinched it.  See you in January!
My advice, though, is to train now and train hard.  There are plenty of resources here on how to do this.  Don't try to pass, try to score 'exempt'.

I sure and the hell hope I am in for January.  I am 30 and I am scared like all hell about keeping up with 22 year olds...  It'll be good for me - in the end, but at 5AM - dang.

And, I'm scared of having to hang out with you old men.  ;D

spqr said:
I sure and the hell hope I am in for January.  I am 30 and I am scared like all hell about keeping up with 22 year olds...  It'll be good for me - in the end, but at 5AM - dang.

;D

I don't think you have much to worry about.  When I was at the Armour School, it was the young 18 - 19 year olds who couldn't keep up with the 30 year olds.  Those 30 year olds became 40 and 50 year olds and still had no problems keeping up with the youngsters.

Back