• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

Did any of you guys have to pass the requisit PT test??? I have not recieved an offer yet for COETP yet as my file just went to the boards for Nov.  I have been training for months now.  I have heard that they eliiminated the PT test?

bw said:
Did any of you guys have to pass the requisit PT test??? I have not recieved an offer yet for COETP yet as my file just went to the boards for Nov.  I have been training for months now.  I have heard that they eliiminated the PT test?

The PT tests were only dropped for applications after October 1st, so anyone whose file was before the October or previous boards would have taken and passed the test, yes.

Well, actually I received my offer without doing a PT test.  I did the CFAT, Medical, and Interview on Sept 26, 06.  Thats where I found out that I wouldn't have to do one until St. Jean.  They did give me the caveat that I could be asked to do one anytime beofree that, but now that I have been selected I don't think they will bother.

bw said:

As long as you're merit listed you're probably not going to see a PT test before IAP.

I have completed the PT test as a CEOTP applicant however I applied back in Feb '06.

Ouch!  I guess all my training will come in handy provided I get picked up on the next board for Jan 08 / 07.  Great to lose the weight and get back some of that muscle.  Sitting by a computer looking after computer makes you soft and squishy.  Thanks for the information! 

Ouch is right, bw.  The elimination of the PT test before basic may streamline things, but the new way is worse for recruits, not better. 
It is better for to find out early on that we're not up to snuff, rather than after making a commitment, flying out, and then getting a rude awakening.
Read those standards and work till you meet them,then work till you beat them.

True, but now if you fail the test, they kick you in the butt until you meet the standards... Personally, I think that it is a good thing for two reasons. First, those of us who passed the PT test previously cannot feel the sense of security in knowing that we have time to get into shape again after the original PT pass, so it keeps us on our toes as well, and new recruits will be made capable if they are not...

It may be a little hopeful and idealistic, but this might actually be beneficial, in that it buffers the people who pass the recruiting centre PT test and celebrate by going back to their unhealthy lifestyle and fall out of shape while waiting for the call... The multiple PT tests for people who have taken a long time to get in... You show up, and you're either good to go, or you are made good to go. Either way, hopefully these people will be less of a burden on others in their group.

But then, I am sometimes blinded by optimism, so ...

As one of my friends told me the group is only as fast as its slowest man.  Yes, you do become complacent while waiting, either before testing or after testing.  I have noted over the past year the waxing and waning of my physical training.  Fortunately, during the waning period the CFRC would call and inform me that my application passed another phase and that would begin a waxing period.  Now that my file is going to the board I have pulled out all the stops......it is difficult at times to formulate a lie explaining to my co-workers why I am doing push-ups during coffee break. 

Question:  how long do you have to tell the CFRC that you have accepted their offer?  Have you been sworn in or do they wait a few days before you are off to IAP/BOTP?

When you get sworn in will vary and it doesn't seem to follow any specific pattern.  I still don't have a definite date yet, but they said I would be "most likely" sworn in on the 5th of January which is only three days before the course start date. If not the Jan, 5th I was told it would be sometime just before Christmas.

As to how long you have to accept an offer. I have no idea. I've heard 5 days, but that's way out of my lane.(thus probably rumor and not true) Maybe a recruiter and/or former recruiter can answer that one.

In Calgary they said it would be just before Christmas (20th)

Congrats! :D I told you that you'd get it didn't I? At least now I won't be the only young punk under 25 in IAP.

Funny though, even though I got my offer first they still don't know the exact date of when I'm swearing in. Either just before Christmas around the 20th or just before I leave around January 5th.

Its official, I am off to start the course on Jan 8, 2007!

So I applied in late August and now I am going to training.  The streamlineing works!

Holy crap, so much to do and get organized.

Rob

I guess I must have missed the window... My interviewer told me that there was no Basic for me until February...

Did he specifically state that there is an IAP/BOTP in February?  I am aware that there is IAP/BOTP in April.  I guess I will check with the RC to see verify. 

He said that if I was selected for November, that I would probably be going to St. Jean in February. I am applying as a DEO for the Reg Force.

Got my offer this morning from CFRC Toronto.  Armoured Officer - St Jean 8 January.  The Cpl mentioned the course dates as 8 Jan - 9 March. Correct?  I originally thought the course was 4 months. Swearing in on 18 Nov.  See you in St Jean.

Nicholas2004 said:
Got my offer this morning from CFRC Toronto.  Armoured Officer - St Jean 8 January.  The Cpl mentioned the course dates as 8 Jan - 9 March. Correct?  I originally thought the course was 4 months. Swearing in on 18 Nov.  See you in St Jean.

IAP ends March 9th, then BOTC runs 12 March to 28 April.
Congrats and look forward to seeing you there!

IAP/BOTP START DATES FOR JANUARY 07:

JAN 08/07 THROUGH TO MAR 09/07

JAN 15/07 THROUGH TO MAR 16/07

Hope this helps. 

I also posed the question:  What if you accepted the offer but declined the IAP/BOTP session date to chose an alternate due to employee/employer contractual obligations or personal/life issues.

Answer:  Applicant is taken off the course and then is re-merited for the next boards depending on Headquarters decisions and directions.  If the applicant is re-merited the applicant is then placed back into selection to be chosen by the boards at a later date. More often than not an offer is long in coming.

Back