• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

exsemjingo said:
To answer you, ChristopherRobin, I have done my research and asked questions both officially (by calling the recruiting centre) and unofficially (by posting here).  Being officer material, it was not long at all until I found out that, yes, Officer training takes upwards of 2 years if the candidate is not bilingual.  It was not much too much longer after that when I found out that the training is paid, and a little bit longer until I found out exactly how much. 
I have already annoyed an old NCO (who shall remain nameless) with this question. and he has permanently posted what you would be paid during training.  It is the same as what was on the CD that the recruiting centre gave me.

The lengthy training did not turn me off, since it is paid, it is what I want to do, and because the path leads to War (where all good soldiers are willing to go, but where none are eager.)

As far as your MOC, I am confused.  Did you apply just to be an MP, or an officer (not NCM) in the military police? 
"Civillian" police are called officers, but in the CF the term has a different designation.

To be blunt, the Army will lead recruits by the hand, but eventually an Officer Candidate has to lead not only himself, but others, in life or death situations.
It is best to start early: with yourself.

Fair enough.

Originally I had applied for MP, officer training (as in non-ncm).  At the very last minute, and after having very specific forms completed by my references, I was told there were no openings and never were.  When it came to accepting infantry as a back-up choice, the time-frame I was given for the phase training (even for someone that is bilingual) was longer than what you were told by your recruiting people.  Of course I had doubts about all of this since I was getting some unclear, and conflicting information.  I ended up backing out of the process since an opportunity to move out west and close to Vancouver came up.

The reason why I made a post, and maybe I should NOT of in the first place, is because I'm making secondary plans just in case my current ones for the Vancouver Police don't exactly work out.

I was merit listed in May and then got "the" phone call from the recruiting centre in late June. So; I guess I'll meet you guys in St-Jean in January 2007. Looking forward to it, actually...

Actually, I don't think we'll be seeing much of each other...or maybe we will...I'm in the French group. I really don't know how this works..

Well I got all my paper work done and everything, I'm just playing the waiting game now...
I hope to see you all in January!  (crosses fingers)

Congratulations man! Oh yeah, and nice tattoo btw, we stand on guard for thee and such...Now, all you need is a peg leg and an eye patch and, shiver me timbers, you're ready for the navy!  :D Kidding, yanking your chain there, I hope you don't mind  ;D

I am just finishing my D.E.O application and I heard that the board will sit on what I was told the 14th of Sept.  After my interview which was more like a 2 hour grilling the officer said there may or may not be a Jan 2007 class.  He was not 100% sure but they will know by October.  I was wondering if anyone has heard if this was true or not, is there for sure a Jan 2007 class?  I finish my physical fitness test tomorrow and my file will go before the board next week 12th or 14th of Sept. I am very anxious and I cant wait to go and start my career, hope to see you all there.    :)

Alphacory said:
I am just finishing my D.E.O application and I heard that the board will sit on what I was told the 14th of Sept.  After my interview which was more like a 2 hour grilling the officer said there may or may not be a Jan 2007 class.  He was not 100% sure but they will know by October.  I was wondering if anyone has heard if this was true or not, is there for sure a Jan 2007 class?  I finish my physical fitness test tomorrow and my file will go before the board next week 12th or 14th of Sept. I am very anxious and I cant wait to go and start my career, hope to see you all there.    :)

Seeing as a few people have already posted on this thread that they have offers for January 07, I hope that the army is not just playing a cruel joke on them!  ::)

No class for January, Alphacory?  That would be very strange, since they are supposedly running Officer Basic courses 3 times a year (September, January, and April) instead of just two times.  Also, the September courses already filled up (as reported in this thread) so if there is no January course, the Army must have abandoned it's expansion plans. 
But that makes no sense whatsoever.
Perhaps what you were told is MOC specific.  Let us know what you applied for, and that should clarify things.
If Kincanucks is still around, he will be able to tell us with absolute certainty.

exsemjingo said:
No class for January, Alphacory?  That would be very strange, since they are supposedly running Officer Basic courses 3 times a year (September, January, and April) instead of just two times.  Also, the September courses already filled up (as reported in this thread) so if there is no January course, the Army must have abandoned it's expansion plans. 
But that makes no sense whatsoever.
Perhaps what you were told is MOC specific.  Let us know what you applied for, and that should clarify things.
If Kincanucks is still around, he will be able to tell us with absolute certainty.

Well since I am not privy to that information anymore I can only hazard a guess that perhaps the serials for Jan are full already.

so if there is no January course, the Army must have abandoned it's expansion plans.  

Yes and they forgot to tell you. I say that is pretty rude of them.  Even if the IAP/BOTP was cancelled for Jan 07 how does that in any way equate to the CF not continuing its planned expansion?  While the CF needs officers it certainly needs more combat arms soldiers and will probably shift its meager resources to getting boots on the ground rather than swords in the air whenever it can.

Tolstoyevsky said:
Congratulations man! Oh yeah, and nice tattoo btw, we stand on guard for thee and such...Now, all you need is a peg leg and an eye patch and, shiver me timbers, you're ready for the navy!  :D Kidding, yanking your chain there, I hope you don't mind  ;D

LOL nah I don't mind at all, it's good to lighten the mood!  :)

Cool your jets guys. No course has been cancelled.

Alphacory, patience is a virtue, especially in the CF...embrace it brother!

Merit Listed since:   unknown (should be soon)
Job offered?   Not yet.
Trade: Infantry (Possibly Pilot if they change their policy on NO LASIK)
Entry Plan:  CEOTP

windsorftw said:
Merit Listed since:  unknown (should be soon)
Job offered?  Not yet.
Trade: Infantry (Possibly Pilot if they change their policy on NO LASIK)
Entry Plan:  CEOTP

CEOTP - I thought I read elsewhere that you graduate in December? I was always told that DEOs were allowed to apply in the final year of their programs.  I finish school in December as well, but I went DEO as I was told I could get a conditional offer and if selected could start in Jan even if I didn't have the degree in my hand yet. I've already qualified for a bachelors though, which I guess might be the difference?

Ok that takes off a bit of a load off my mind.  I am just passing on the informatin that I was told by the officer that interviewed me.

Alphacory, maybe you misunderstood...maybe the recruiter said that there won't be a January 2007 class FOR YOU, but they will know for sure in October. In my case, the letter I've received from the RC states very clearly: " You will be on the Serial Basic Officer Training at the CFLRS, in St-Jean. The courses dates will be 15 January - 16 March 2007."

Even if, hypothetically, the army cancels the January class , I'm willing to wait as long as it takes.

Oh yeah, looking forward to get that sword in the air! :threat:

He was quite clear in stating that due to numbers and to see if there were instructors to teach the course that he was not sure if there was going to be a class.  He also stated that if there is a Jan 2007 that it is quite likely I will be in it.  I believe he was just lacking the proper information because he also had no information for me for the whole process after the 13 week Officer course for Infantry seeing as he was in the Navy and no Army Officers were around.  I am just glad that I know now that there is 100% a Jan 2007 class.

For those who missed the rest of the thread before it was removed, we agreed that we'd trust our CFRC.

xmarcx said:
CEOTP - I thought I read elsewhere that you graduate in December? I was always told that DEOs were allowed to apply in the final year of their programs.  I finish school in December as well, but I went DEO as I was told I could get a conditional offer and if selected could start in Jan even if I didn't have the degree in my hand yet. I've already qualified for a bachelors though, which I guess might be the difference?

Well, to be honest...I'm not sure if I will graduate in December or not.  I have finished all my courses for my degree, but my GPA was slightly lower than it should have been (young kids + work full time sux for studying).  Anyhow, I am upgrading a class this semester and hopefully that will be enough to grad.  Going CEOTP will at least allow me to get a degree if this class isn't enough.  If I do grad in december I can switch to DEO I was told so, i'm just covering my bases at this point.

On another note, I spoke to a recruiter yesterday and as far as she knew the Jan class was not cancelled.  YIPEEE

Back