• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Policy – Annual (time off, after hours, ect...) [Merged]

I was surprised to find out that even a P. Res. private 1 makes more that an ROTP OCdt.  (However, getting paid to go to university is a jammy go any way you slice it!)

Hello, I have a question regarding time off. I has allays been my dream to join the infantry as a non commissioned member and I am wondering how much time off do you get like vacation time and general time off and yes I understand its the military I'm going to have to make sacrifices like away from home and stuff. Thank you

taylorwagner221 said:
Hello, I have a question regarding time off. I has allays been my dream to join the infantry as a non commissioned member and I am wondering how much time off do you get like vacation time and general time off and yes I understand its the military I'm going to have to make sacrifices like away from home and stuff. Thank you

When you're on course for your basic training, days will be long and time off limited. You may not get weekends.

Once you're qualified and posted to a unit, believe it or not we all function like more or less normal human beings. Weekends off will be the norm unless there's a good reason not to (you drew a short straw and are on duty; did something stupid and are on duty; your unit is on a training exercise or deployment).

We have a certain amount of paid leave per year; I believe it starts at 20 working days, and goes up with a certain number of years of service. Usually you'll be told you're taking a chunk of this in the summer, a chunk around Christmas, and maybe a chunk in the spring. Many commanders are pretty generous about giving out 'free' leave to add a couple days to these block leaves.

In the infantry, when you're at your unit doing normal stuff and not on an exercise or course, days are often pretty short... Done by 3 or 3:30 isn't unusual.

It's honestly really quite good when all is said and done. But for some periods of time you'll go through long stretches where you open the suck-throttle to full.

You receive 2 days per month of paid leave. In addition, you will receive lots of leave during the Christmas holidays. This is all after your basic training and trade specific training.

pastintop said:
You receive 2 days per month of paid leave. In addition, you will receive lots of leave during the Christmas holidays. This is all after your basic training and trade specific training.

If you're talking about (full time) Reserves, you are correct.  For the Reg F, you get 20 days paid leave per year, plus the possibility of short, special, etc.  After five years, you'll get 25 days per year.

Also not all organizations do the block leave routine.  Example CFRG, Christmas block yes, but other than that you just had to use your leave up during the year at some point.  Basically how and when you are able to take leave will be explained at each unit you go to.

PMedMoe said:
If you're talking about (full time) Reserves, you are correct.  For the Reg F, you get 20 days paid leave per year, plus the possibility of short, special, etc.  After five years, you'll get 25 days per year.

Additional to the 20/25 IIRC, all Stat holidays (9?), 2 days Special Leave during Christmas, any Short Days your unit CO may authorize (some do, some don't at Christmas for example), and any Provincial holidays.

Not to shabby if you ask me!

So it has come to the end of the year and i still have 5 annual days remaining. My ship is set to sail next month and were are being given PDL. i am currently on course so i am unable to take annual leave. i am able to use 2 days next week prior to the PDL, but that would still leave me with 3 annual leave days. i am being told by my COC that i am not allowed to take the PDL days and must use annual instead. I would have used the annual days this summer, but was informed by my COC that i was unable to take annual leave due to my C&P. are they able to take away my PDL and allow me to only carry over 1 day?

In most cases, the only time annual is allowed to be carried over is for operational reasons.  Also, what conditions of a C&P would prohibit you from taking annual leave?  ???

According to A-PP-005-LVE/AG-001 Canadian Forces Leave Policy Manual para 5.11.04

Special Leave (Relocation) in consideration of a member being sent away from their home unit on duty for operations, training exercises, career courses or incremental taskings, on a status other than posting or attached-posting (such as, but not limited to, Temporary Duty), may be denied, withheld or limited at the discretion of the CO.

Although this you are entitled to ask for it (or be granted it by the CO), it is not a guarantee.

As I sit here at my desk on the 28Th of March, I am wondering, is our leave system broke? Oh, by the way, I'm sitting here in civvies, on annual leave, trying to catch up on some work.

How many others are doing the same, or will be at their desks next week, on leave. How many of us, either through mismanagement, a  skewed sense of our importance, or actual valid reasons that aren't necessarily tied to operational reasons (therefore not authorized to accumulate leave) are forced on leave at end year.

Now, most people probably use all 20/25/30 days of their leave, without being forced to start it on the last day of the Fiscal year. But I know many who don't and only put in the leave pass because they have too. I know all the arguments on why leave is important, but unless we bar people from coming in on their annual leave, aren't we only paying these lip service? And yes, one could argue the CoC should be doing exactly that, but in all honesty, it is usually the senior members of organizations who are the worst offenders.

I would propose that a third option be written into the regs. Option one is take all your leave. Option two is to accumulate remaining days (continue to strictly control this). Option 3 is to be allowed to waive your entitlement to the remaining leave (also strictly controlled). This last option would have to be accompanied by justification on why it should be allowed, rather than forcing a member on leave. There would also need to be other controls in place, but I would propose this as a starting point for discussion.

Sheep Dog AT said:
I think you should go home.  Work will always be there.

I agree.  And we know why we're not allowed to accumulate leave anymore.  It was nice, but I agree with the reasoning behind it.  Just my  :2c:

I agree. Soldiers, usually leadership, are doing the "work in civies" while on leave is 100% bull shat. We CAN NOT tolerate it as an organization. I realize it happens but one observation I have made in this modern army, is we do not prioritize too well (and unable to "let anything go") and the fooking good idea fairy comes along WAY too often adding ridiculous work loads to subordinates.

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize.

Leaders, be responsible for your men and KNOW when something must be dropped or shoved to the right!

I propose an amendment to option 3: a crest of a crossed quills over a desk surrounded by a chain laurel. Gun metal grey for sacrificing a career total of 5 days annual, bronze for 10, silver for 20, and gold for 50. The badge will increase in size for days short and special sacrificed. 1" for less than 5 days, 1.5" for 5-20, and 4" for greater than 20 days.

Placement will be determined by weekends worked. For less than 104, on the lower right sleeve (to include DEU 3B). 105-312 on the right breast in lieu of a command badge, and for greater that 312 weekend days worked, on the beret for all states of dress.

I find most people in key leadership positions within a unit often work during leave.  If they are not physically in the building they have their BlackBerries or work laptops at home doing work. I know for myself I have hit March with a bunch of annual leave remaining and struggling to find the best time to take then, while minimizing the impact to my section.

Back