• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Take into account VOR and I bet it is less than 6 x Bn of vehs. Plus you need repl vehs in Theatre for battle cas, accidents and VOR. Add spare parts depot also.
The last OS VOR rates I saw for the LAV fleet suggests that one probably can’t field much more than 2 LAV BN’s.

So you have 4 LAV Bn with if troops for 2 BN’s of serviceable vehicles.

The last OS VOR rates I saw for the LAV fleet suggests that one probably can’t field much more than 2 LAV BN’s.

That would be my guess as well. Gotta remember LAVs are also distributed to Arty, Engrs and the Armd Corps now as well, with the retirement of the Coyote.

The Armd Corps fleet is a complete mess tbh.

So why not 3 brigades, each with one LAV battalion and two light battalions?

So why not 3 brigades, each with one LAV battalion and two light battalions?
Why not one Mech Bde and 2 Light? Or 3 Light Reg Bde’s with a Bde of Cavalry vehicles that the Light units can use as needed.

Take into account VOR and I bet it is less than 6 x Bn of vehs. Plus you need repl vehs in Theatre for battle cas, accidents and VOR. Add spare parts depot also.

From a previous posting

1703188870693.png

1703188942347.png

82 Tanks with 21% serviceable = 17 tanks
555 LAV 6 with 58% serviceable = 322 LAV 6
500 TAPV with 48% serviceable = 240 TAPV

The expectation seems to be that we need 390 LAV 6s to field 6 LAV 6 Battlegroups at 70% strength (2/3)
Or
We could field 4 LAV 6 Battalions at 100% if we had 390 LAV6s

But we only have 322 runners.
That means 233 in the shop.

In addition the institution eats up 555-390 = 165
So assuming that the institution gets first dibs on the 322 runners that leaves 157 runners for the three field formations.

From the table above the expectation is that a Brigade (each of the Divisions listed only has one Brigade) requires 130 LAV 6.

Net effect - the field army can only field two LAV 6 Battle Groups with enough left over for a Company Combat Team.

And if there are only 17 serviceable MBTs and the institutions require 22 that doesn't leave much left for deployment - not to mention training would be challenging.

From a previous posting

View attachment 81930

View attachment 81931

The expectation seems to be that we need 390 LAV 6s to field 6 LAV 6 Battlegroups at 70% strength (2/3)
Or

So assuming that the institution gets first dibs on the 322 runners that leaves 157 runners for the three field formations.

From the table above the expectation is that a Brigade (each of the Divisions listed only has one Brigade) requires 130 LAV 6.

Net effect - the field army can only field two LAV 6 Battle Groups with enough left over for a Company Combat Team.

And if there are only 17 serviceable MBTs and the institutions require 22 that doesn't leave much left for deployment - not to mention training would be challenging.
Also that doesn’t even count wartime establishment.

@KevinB

You're right

390 for 4 battalions at 100% or 98 per battalion battle group.

157 runners

1 Battle Group with 59 extras - Make it a Battle Group and a Battle Group (-).

Edit: Of course the first 4 of 360 ACSVs were delivered on Halloween.

From a previous posting

View attachment 81930

View attachment 81931

Or

How many real deployable CMBG are really deployable with a Tac and a main HQ? I think that we can’t deploy more than BG.

How many real deployable CMBG are really deployable with a Tac and a main HQ? I think that we can’t deploy more than BG.
I suspect 3, and perhaps 4 if 6CSBG is included. That being the regular force.

Now if you want them with modern C6ISR, my answer would be different;)

I suspect 3, and perhaps 4 if 6CSBG is included. That being the regular force.

Now if you want them with modern C6ISR, my answer would be different;)
Well, I suppose the question answer the question 🙃

Just a word of caution about using the G4 Maint VOR Stats from that JCSP paper or any other domestic report on VOR should be taken with a grain of salt. 1) It is a snapshot in time and more importantly 2)domestically there are a ton of reasons why a vehicle is VOR'd where it would just be outstanding usable in any operational theater. A broken/missing mirror or headlight domestically can be a grounding fault (outside of a training area) as it is a safety issue. Bit of an extreme example but VOR'd doesn't always mean can't run/gun.

Don't get me wrong there are lots of broken vehicles but for outsiders looking in making literal interpretations it could look like the sky is falling when in reality it is just low cloud cover.

Last edited:
Just a word of caution about using the G4 Maint VOR Stats from that JCSP paper or any other domestic report on VOR should be taken with a grain of salt. 1) It is a snapshot in time and more importantly 2)domestically there are a ton of reasons why a vehicle is VOR'd where it would just be outstanding usable in any operational theater. A broken/missing mirror or headlight domestically can be a grounding fault (outside of a training area) as it is a safety issue. Bit of an extreme example but VOR'd doesn't always mean can't run/gun.

Don't get me wrong there are lots of broken vehicles but for outsiders looking in making literal interpretations it could look like the sky is falling when in reality it is just low cloud cover.
Also how many vehicles are VOR because, due to just in time delivery, we gotta wait for a part to be made and shipped to us.

We don't use a Just In Time delivery model, that would imply a level of sophistication we don't have. We leverage the same model we always have, with parts at each level with scaling. Generally though scaling is ad hoc, locally managed, doesn't follow any recognized model and largely useless.

We don't use a Just In Time delivery model, that would imply a level of sophistication we don't have. We leverage the same model we always have, with parts at each level with scaling. Generally though scaling is ad hoc, locally managed, doesn't follow any recognized model and largely useless.
… and not based in data. Maybe adjusted on anecdotes, but not guided by data.

As per the AG report, many stock items are set to 0, meaning we carry none on hand, si they need to be made(sometimes), then shipped to us from the OEM. Some of these items were locked at 0, despite parts scaling and usage demanding they be held at higher quantities.

Your not wrong, but our supply system isn't helping our VOR rates.

Back