• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

The media doesn’t care.
Current, serving military officers can’t (won’t?) openly speak about the current dire situation because they worry about the repercussions to their careers.
What the US should do is kick us to the curb and force us to shoulder our true burdens, this may wake up the public.
Serving military members cannot speak unless given approval to do so.(unless it is "your job, and your experiences.) Hence, why no serving member can talk about perceived failures of this gov't WRT funding or support. The last military person to do so resigned as he was speaking.

Vice-Admiral Charles Morris Winton Thomas, CMM, CD - Canada.ca

You owe us 1.5T

There you go.
Something tells me that we were indeed told by Uncle Sam in no uncertain terms…just that unlike Canada, which can’t shut up about how influential in the world it thinks it is, Uncles Sam just calmly slid a list across the table of stuff Canada is going to buy, and like it…

Serving military members cannot speak unless given approval to do so.(unless it is "your job, and your experiences.) Hence, why no serving member can talk about perceived failures of this gov't WRT funding or support. The last military person to do so resigned as he was speaking.

Vice-Admiral Charles Morris Winton Thomas, CMM, CD - Canada.ca

Adm Landymore is better example. Guy fought to the end against unification. Know what ? He was right.

• The Liberals had already channeled their intentions to execute on remaining election pledges (in the order of net new spending of $56 bn by FY27). The new pact—once netting out what the Liberals had planned to do anyway—likely adds another $15–20 bn over the life of the 3-year agreement and potentially $40 bn by FY27. Tack on another $12 bn (at least) for potential defense spending top-ups.
Using the Scotiabank article as a roadmap, I suspect you will see at least a 1 year immediate surge like Germany did and a commitment to 2% or higher for foreseeable years. (Or until attention is taken away from world events).
Even if the CAF got an extra 12B this year it would not fill the holes it has in equipment, an extra 24 wouldn’t either. I doubt it will be 12B additional, but for interest sake that would pop it to 2.24% (ish).

2% is a Maintenance number, it’s not a growth number, so Canada would need more than 2% for several years. 4% for 5 years if used intelligently would mean 2% could keep the CAF in good shape for quite some time - unless it eats it up on salaries.

Something tells me that we were indeed told by Uncle Sam in no uncertain terms…just that unlike Canada, which can’t shut up about how influential in the world it thinks it is, Uncles Sam just calmly slid a list across the table of stuff Canada is going to buy, and like it…
I so f&*king hope so.

I don't mean to sound like Singh (I really really don't want to sound like Singh) but 2% is arbitrary. The focus should be on identifying and obtaining needed capabilities and personnel. That may be 1.5% or it could be 3% or even 5%. The CAF and the government needs to decide what they need domestically first and then how it needs to contribute internationally . As I've seen in the Reece thread and others similar to it there's still lots of debate as to what that it is.

I don't mean to sound like Singh (I really really don't want to sound like Singh) but 2% is arbitrary. The focus should be on identifying and obtaining needed capabilities and personnel. That may be 1.5% or it could be 3% or even 5%. The CAF and the government needs to decide what they need domestically first and then how it needs to contribute internationally . As I've seen in the Reece thread and others similar to it there's still lots of debate as to what that it is.

I actually agree. Throwing money at us with no plan or sustainment it's pissing into the wind.

Canada has to decide what it's wants to be in this world and then it need to tell us how we enact that militarily.

The focus should be on identifying and obtaining needed capabilities and personnel.
Good luck getting people through the door based on the “sexual crisis in the CAF” alone. A little bit of research on Reddit where young people hang out will expose all the other issues. The CAF is circling the drain, along with canada, and no amount of money will fix it.

2% is the agree to NATO # It isn’t arbitrary and there is a lot of data (not open source) to back it up.

The expectations are that you don’t piss it away.

Singh is a moron, don’t be like Singh.

Last edited:
2% is the agree to NATO # It isn’t arbitrary and there is a lot of data (not open source) to back it up.

The expectations are that you don’t piss it away.

Singh is a moron, but he like Singh.
Let's not forget that there is a second NATO target being expending 20% of overall defence spending on major equipment. For a long time we've spent half of that and although recent capital commitments have gone up, they still haven't bee up to 20% and more importantly we've underspent the budgeted amounts because of delays.

🍻

I would actually prefer US equipment vice European.
I'd prefer equipment...

The USA pays a premium for the best kit out there, Canada has little appetite to pay that premium. I'd rather see Canadians armed with the 90% solution from Europe, than the 0% solution we currently have for many problems.

Back