• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

January 2010 BMQ

As clarified in other topics, it will all depend on how your Tax Deductions and other Deductions and Allotments are set up. 

tsokman said:
is there something that rounds out BMQ like an end of course obstacle course-forced march or something....

You can all take your favourite Mod out for beer...

Hmm - I think the staff actually take you out... after the night you party it up as you graduate, for a bright and early morning "puke run" :p

This of course, is just the stuff of legend perhaps... or not. I haven't yet experienced it. But, my ex did!

hmmm...just asking because I know in alot of armys theres an end of basic test like a long forced march where you can flunk your basic if you dont pass it regardless of your results throughout all of basic...thats not the case with BMQ...

armychick2009 said:
Hmm - I think the staff actually take you out... after the night you party it up as you graduate, for a bright and early morning "puke run" :p

This of course, is just the stuff of legend perhaps... or not. I haven't yet experienced it. But, my ex did!

I think that we are dealing with here is a case of a "waste of rations".

Hmmm - probably more a waste of alcohol than rations, haha! I heard a lot of people get to the end, pretty green in colour. And... that's without camo paint :p

Since I am currently in BMQ at Borden, I don't have time to read all of this post.  So I will simply add my 2 cents to this thread.
Here are a couple of tips for those attending Borden.
-When you are told to shut up: DO IT! (punishments for not doing so include plank, wall sits and lots of push ups!)
-Make the most of your weekends off when you get them.  Get off the base.
-Listen to all of your staff, they know a lot, its not all a show.
-Learn rank structure before you get there. At least the NCM levels. (Different coloured hooks mean different branches.  Don't call a PO a SGT!)
-Never call a NCM sir or mam.
-Fire picket sucks!  Suck it up, everyone gets it some weekends!

Borden BMQ is broken into 4 platoons: Atlantic, Vimy, Britain, & Normandy.  Each platoon will start close to 60 recruits.  We lost some in the first express test, and gained some from St. Jean to take their place.  Now we are at 50.  We graduate this Thursday. :salute:

Although you may not get along with everyone in your platoon, tolerate them for 14 weeks, then more then likely, you will never see some of them again.  After BMQ, you'll be off to another school where there will be a new bunch of people you will deal with.  However the difference here is you are all the same trade.  So in theory, you have things in common.

As I said, make the most of your training.  Absorb whatever you can, it is worth it.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself.  The instructors know when to have some fun with you, and when to get serious.  Learn when the timings are!

redsuspenders said:
Since I am currently in BMQ at Borden, I don't have time to read all of this post. ... ...

I've been wondering if and how (where) it is possible to access the internet while on BMQ at Borden -- given that the pre-enrollment package states intenet/email access is not available to recruits and laptops/computers are on the DO NOT BRING list -- so reading this post I'm only left wondering how and where you have gotten internet access. While on BMQ myself this next Jan. I'd like to occasionally check my email or IM a buddy. Any advice?

Also, what's the competition between Vimy, Atlantic etc. like and which were you with?

NoCashBob, did you get your joining instructions yet with the list of stuff you'll have to bring with you to BMQ, etc.?

I hear from one recruiter that I am only getting mine and the security clearance form at the enrollment ceremony one week before I leave for BMQ and then another recruiter says I can stop by the CFRC and ask them for it in advance.  Wish I could get a straight answer and get the forms earlier than one week before leaving and avoid having to rush like crazy, heh.

I did get my pre-enrollment package about 2 weeks ago. It contained joining instructions for both Borden and St. Jean (as posted earlier, I was orig. to be sent to St. Jean, but changed to Borden) as well as some generic information such as boot lacing methods, windsor knot inst. rank insignias for NCM and Officers etc.

A kit List is included stating what can and cannot be brought, what is needed, recommended, and what can be bought while at base at the Canex.

Lastly is a Security Clearance form to be filled out and brought to enrollment. If you get anything ahead of time, I would recommend the Security Clearance form, go get that from your recruiter as depending on your life experiences thus far you may need to do a little digging to fill it out correctly and it will be a serious pain to have to do this on enrollment day. Better safe than sorry so get that and fill it out regardless of what your recruiter says, that's my advice. Any recruitment office will have those forms.

Most of the information is basic but informative, so learn the windsor knot, lacing patterns, and rank insignias and names. I can't say with certainty but I would imagine if it's included in the information package, it's expected to be concrete learned by the time you enter basic. Myself I am learning to properly iron and starch my shirts and shine boots.

ADDITION: Iron your pants through a slightly damp lint-free washcloth, you'll avoid that 'shiny-pants' look.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll assume, for all intents and purposes, that since BMQ is run on the same set of standards in Borden as St-Jean, that the St-Jean joining instructions posted on this forum and required material to bring are more or less the same with the main difference being the location.

As for the Security Clearance form, I was told it was received at Enrollment and you have to fill out and hand it in when you get to Borden, but maybe that varies since you were mailed yours already. Either way, I was told Sig Op requires a level III clearance, so it'll take some digging indeed to fill everything out :p though I guess I can consider myself "lucky" since I'm only 20 and spent the past year being an unemployed bum and have little work experience previous to that so less digging will be required in comparison to others!

Gettin that security clearance form filled out, YEAH!!!!

Need level three so I better not miss anything, haha.

Today was enrollment day.  I am now a member of the Canadian Armed Forces with the rank of Corporal.  BMQ at CFB Borden starting January 9th.

I want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and all the best in the new year.

Enjoy this time with family and loved ones and have a successfull BMQ

I have been learning the rank structures so as not to get yelled at to much for calling our instructors by the wrong title

Luckily enough the Army and Air Force ones are the same for NCM's, the Navy likes to be different :)

robbiewho? said:
Luckily enough the Army and Air Force ones are the same for NCM's,

They are also the same for officers.

Lucky for you, they teach ranks over there at the old BMQ.

Fail in the focus department........

....quick silverbird what do you call an instructer with two chevrons and a leaf who belongs to the artillery???

CallOfDuty said:
....quick silverbird what do you call an instructer with two chevrons and a leaf who belongs to the artillery???

i heard they liked to be called Super Corporal !  ;D

NoCashBob said:
I've been wondering if and how (where) it is possible to access the internet while on BMQ at Borden -- given that the pre-enrollment package states intenet/email access is not available to recruits and laptops/computers are on the DO NOT BRING list -- so reading this post I'm only left wondering how and where you have gotten internet access. While on BMQ myself this next Jan. I'd like to occasionally check my email or IM a buddy. Any advice?

Also, what's the competition between Vimy, Atlantic etc. like and which were you with?

I actually graduated yesterday.  When I posted the message, I was at home for the weekend.  As far as internet access, there is the O club when you get base leave.  i never used the access there, but I heard it was painful to get onto.  A lot of people use their phones once they get access, even though we were told cell phones were for talking only.
I was in Atlantic platoon.  Our staff insisted that our platoon was the best, and at times, you could see it.  From basic things like the platoona all being dressed the same in the field.
Vimy would go out with some in toques, some in bush hats, some in thermals, some not.  Other simple things like that.  I guess it is all in how you see it, but it does stand out as wrong!

Have fun, and as I mentioned.  Enjoy it and take it all in!

Back