• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

January 2010 BMQ

I'm in for Jan 18 at Borden too, LCIS Tech. Like bjork I've been lurking & learning a ton since the spring, so now seems a good time to sign up. Swearing in Dec 16 at CFRC London.

Looking forward to meeting you guys up there, it looks like there'll be at least a few of us C&Eers!

Fredericton, NB...Just looking forward to getting started.  Basic should be great in the middle of winter!

Ya it's going to be pretty cold some days outside.

Hopefully if we are all good we will get to catch an olympic hockey game or two haha.

silverbirdtank said:
Ya it's going to be pretty cold some days outside.

Hopefully if we are all good we will get to catch an olympic hockey game or two haha.

It will be the wind chill and snow that will be a factor.
CFB Borden is flat and open area and is also located in the snow belt.
                                            December    January    February    March
Average Temperature:                  -4.0 C              -8.1 C          -7.1 C        -2.2 C
Average Snowfall:                      62.4 cm            80.2 cm        39.5 cm      28.1 cm

http://www.tourismbarrie.com/about-barrie-1/climate/

PMW said:
It will be the wind chill and snow that will be a factor.
CFB Borden is flat and open area and is also located in the snow belt.
                                            December    January    February    March
Average Temperature:                  -4.0 C              -8.1 C          -7.1 C        -2.2 C
Average Snowfall:                      62.4 cm            80.2 cm        39.5 cm      28.1 cm

http://www.tourismbarrie.com/about-barrie-1/climate/

hahah January is going to be a wonderful month

Oh ya, that doesn't seem cold from the numbers but I know what that wind can do. From Alberta and the wind blows hard here and in the winter it can be unbearable.

Anyone know if they are still running weekly courses in St.Jean? I spoke to my CFRC and they said that I will most likely be loaded onto a Jan course. I am hoping that this is the case, but who knows. For all that are heading off soon, enjoy your stay.

Minus 10c without wind chill is balmy. When things pass -25c it starts getting f***ing cold. It's usually the wind that starts getting to you. I remember back in Regina getting blown off my feet while walking on ice. The guys at work think my brain must have gotten frost bitten or something when I was on the prairies, because I love winter.

Although I will admit I hope it's warmer for the 14 ish km march.

Phil M.

The weather will suck...Here's to hoping we do get to watch an Olympic hockey game or 2.  I'll settle for the gold medal game. GO CANADA!

Any reason why we got changed from St. Jean to Borden??

They didn't change our BMQ from St. Jean to Borden. There are 2 BMQ courses being run in Jan. at Borden I think and they just happened to put our names on that list.

A few years ago I was excited that the Olympics where coming to Vancouver. That excitement quickly vanished upon seeing the cost of gold medal hockey tickets  :eek:. Then before the Olympics get here I'm shipping off to BMQ, that's the way it goes sometimes.  :p

I got switched from St. Jean to Borden shortly after accepting my job offer, not sure why either, I thought it was the short distance (saving a plane ticket expense) but apparently some guy from Montreal is being sent to Borden, and that person is at St. Jean's doorstep.. there goes that theory.

Probably just some last minute re-adjusting of the course loads I'm figuring now, personally, I'm stating to get stoked about doing BMQ at Borden. Many have said negative thing about Borden BMQ, but then again, most of them I'm sure did BMQ in St. Jean, so there's going to be a BIAS most likely.

IMO they sent me there, they have there reasons, BMQ is BMQ, so I'm happy. All that's left is to prepare.  :cdn:

Yeah, I'm being sent to Borden for BMQ and I'm in Montreal. Definitely not complaining either :D I assume it's just because they have a lot of recruits awaiting training, especially after the Christmas/New Year holiday block and being picked for Borden was just the way the cookie crumbled.

Either way, getting more and more hyped each passing day :D

****** A. Right on brother, I hear ya.  We all gonna have to put into this, so ya get what you get, and we all gonna go through this together, so yeah man, see you at course, lets kick some ***  :cdn:

is there something that rounds out BMQ like an end of course obstacle course-forced march or something....how many forced marches do you have to do in BMQ...

tsokman said:
is there something that rounds out BMQ like an end of course obstacle course-forced march or something....how many forced marches do you have to do in BMQ...

there is a 13km ruck march followed by a fireman's carry.

for more information about what to expect go to:

http://www.forces.ca/media/_VIDEOS/basic_rt_en.flv

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/life-vie/basic-voie/guide-eng.asp?sort=asc

ps. I have not been on BMQ, still waiting to be processed, but that is what I have found to be the most helpful. Of course there are also a multitude of posts in the BMQ section of this site.

Hey, I have 2 question about the upcoming BMQ, I was reading online that we have to pay 425$ for rations and quarters, may I put the money in my income taxes ? Also, our salary according to forces.ca is 31,488 a year and 2,624 a month, but is this after taxes or before?

Thanks.

I guess you haven't been reading the topics on Pay or Entering the CF and your money.

Dante_Of_Canada said:
Hey, I have 2 question about the upcoming BMQ, I was reading online that we have to pay 425$ for rations and quarters, may I put the money in my income taxes ?

No.  You will be sent a T-4 for your annual Tax Return.

Dante_Of_Canada said:
Also, our salary according to forces.ca is 31,488 a year and 2,624 a month, but is this after taxes or before?

This is before Taxes.  Before all other Deductions.

Back