• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insurance Coverage on Vacation

shogun506

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Going on a Caribbean vacation in a few weeks and want to get a quick idea of what is covered under the Blue Cross policy. If I get sick/hospitalized on vacation am I covered? I'm assuming trip cancellation insurance is not included, is that correct? What extra insurance is recommended if any?

Roger - that's what I thought but I figured I'd double check before buying the extra insurance.

Just had a troop ask me this exact question.  Go take to your blue cross clerk at your local clinic.  You don't need to buy travelers insurance.  You are covered

Interesting. The coverage booklet I have doesn't mention any international coverage unless serving abroad. Going to book my trip tomorrow morning and call the clinic to confirm before doing so.

Reaper-1 said:
Interesting. The coverage booklet I have doesn't mention any international coverage unless serving abroad. Going to book my trip tomorrow morning and call the clinic to confirm before doing so.

I'm assuming you're talking about Medical Insurance, not Travel Insurance (e.g. cancellation of flights, etc.) 

For medical insurance, you are covered if you have a valid CF100 as well for the time away.  Ironically, as part of my admin for posting overseas, I had a chat with the Blue Cross person and they just gave me an info card which was almost exactly like the fine print on the CF100.  So no, the coverage doesn't change if you're posted overseas (and not using the host military's med system).

I deal with this question on a regular basis and you are covered with a signed CF100 (as mentioned above) - however there is no guarantee the international medical provider will accept the Blue Cross card (even here in the US with our CAF dependants, for the most part if a provider sees a Canadian address with their PSHCP coverage, they won't take the insurance). Keep that phone number and contact info handy for the billing departments as there are a lot of "blue cross's" out there - we deal with Medavie Blue Cross, not Blue Cross International (based out of Florida and sometimes get CAF medical bills). In addition to the CAF Blue Cross card, there is another info card floating around out there - likely at your base clinic's blue cross desk. I know I have a few in my office and they tell you what you should do and numbers to call. There have been certain countries that may not recognize an out of country insurance company and people end up going out of pocket. If that ever happens - keep the receipts and then seek reimbursement through the clinic afterwards. If you don't have enough room on your credit card - make sure you have the phone number of your unit Duty O handy to ask for an emergency cash advance!

Finally, be kind to your medical file and ensure any clinical documentation that is generated comes back to Canada with you so it can be added to your file.

Step 1 - Good old QR&Os  - http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-034-eng.asp

34.10 - MEDICAL CARE IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES

(1) An officer or non-commissioned member who is entitled to and requires medical care while in a foreign country other than the United States shall report to any unit of the Canadian Forces or, where such a unit is not available, shall report in the order shown to:

a. any available unit of another of Her Majesty's forces;
    b. the nearest diplomatic or consular authority representing Canada, or the United Kingdom;
    c. the nearest unit of a foreign armed force; or
    d. a civilian medical practitioner or hospital.

(2) Where an officer or non-commissioned member reports to a facility referred to in subparagraph (1)(c) or (d), the member shall ensure that the nearest diplomatic or consular authority representing Canada or the United Kingdom is informed of the circumstances immediately.

(3) An officer or non-commissioned member who requires medical care while within the continental limits of the United States shall report for treatment in accordance with orders issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

Step 2: High Commission in Barbados:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/barbados-barbade/contact-contactez.aspx

If you decide to buy travel medical insurance, do yourself a favour and do this:

1.  Enrol in FSNA.  It's $38/year, and it's worthwhile just for the work that FSNA does.  You can fax the application form, and pay by credit card over the phone - they'll give you a membership number right away over the phone, and mail you the paperwork.

2.  Once you have a FSNA membership number, follow the link on the FSNA website to the MEDOC Travel Insurance.  It covers emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation, and trip interruption insurance for your entire family.  If you pay into PSHCP (either as a serving member or a pensioner), the rates are amazingly low.  I just signed up for it a couple of months ago before booking our trip south in March, and the premium was $80/year for an unlimited number of trips out of province/country, of no more than 40 days duration each.

You might be out of luck for the cancellation insurance for this particular trip because you've already purchased your tickets, but I'm pretty sure you can still sign up for the medical, and the travel insurance will be in effect for your next trip.  Ask the MEDOC people about that.

Agree fully with Occam.  I joined FSNA, and have MEDOC travel insurance, which I have found the cheapest of all I have priced checked.

You also get AIRMILES!

Back