• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

That’s fucking revolting. I will never understand senior officers discussing their subordinates or making weird sexual remarks about officers half or a third their age. It makes me nuts.

And most of that talk is a lot less damaging than assaulting someone with a rifle barrel.

Biggest problem once people get some rank on the shoulder and move up the chain or the ladder of command, they start to feel like they are untouchable. Who is going to complain to my boss, because I have only 3 bosses above me?

Using an Army system of rank.

You have a LCOL who is in charge on paper of running a battle school. Young recruits are being taught there, the instructors are all Cpls, MCpls, Sgts, WO, MWO and 2lt, Lt. and then this LCOL.

LCOL has his own dress code, wears crazy stuff on his uniform, but no one can address this mis adventure of dress code violations. But young Pte R see this LCOL running around doing the various CO parades , final course barrack inspections etc. Question comes to mind why do I have to wear this head dress, in this fashion, why do can I not wear SPG or TGuns on my collar dogs , or wear a scarf around my neck etc.

As a NCM, or very JR Officer you cannot address this LCOL and jack him up. You have to let it slide because it is above your pay level and rank.
This sort of behaviour goes beyond just dress code infractions.
Rank has its privileges good and bad. You can get a car and driver, and get to sleep on a cot instead of the floor or the ground, but you serve the meal, eat last, every one laughs at your bad jokes, but you lead from the front and show up in the rain and smile because you know your troops are going to show up and stand in the rain in front of you.

This is includes the sexual comments and unwanted touching, as a JR person, who do you report your boss to for bad behaviour? Do you look at career road blocks you might be throwing up in front of your career because the upper levels might see it as you not going to play the game when you move up the ladder ? Or are they going to see you as a person who cannot take a joke, or what ever the excuse is they think of for you not going along with their actions?

It is time for the people who wear the stars, the maple leafs, or the chain of office start looking at things without their power coloured glasses on.

Treat the people below them as if they were actual family members ( police services call it a brotherhood, ( that has to change it is a familyhood since both sexes are in the service now ) and how would they like to hear that comment about their daughter or wife by a fellow brass hatter or even someone below them in rank?

Maybe some of these police officers need to know what it is like to hear that some one want to stick a gun up their butts, or maybe do something nasty to their wife or daughter even in jest, it is still a sick joke.

Biggest problem once people get some rank on the shoulder and move up the chain or the ladder of command, they start to feel like they are untouchable. Who is going to complain to my boss, because I have only 3 bosses above me?

You have a LCOL who is in charge on paper of running a battle school. Young recruits are being taught there, the instructors are all Cpls, MCpls, Sgts, WO, MWO and 2lt, Lt. and then this LCOL.

LCOL has his own dress code, wears crazy stuff on his uniform, but no one can address this mis adventure of dress code violations. But young Pte R see this LCOL running around doing the various CO parades , final course barrack inspections etc. Question comes to mind why do I have to wear this head dress, in this fashion, why do can I not wear SPG or TGuns on my collar dogs , or wear a scarf around my neck etc.

As a NCM, or very JR Officer you cannot address this LCOL and jack him up. You have to let it slide because it is above your pay level and rank.
Rank has its privileges good and bad. You can get a car and driver, and get to sleep on a cot instead of the floor or the ground, but you serve the meal, eat last, every one laughs at your bad jokes, but you lead from the front and show up in the rain and smile because you know your troops are going to show up and stand in the rain in front of you.

This is includes the sexual comments and unwanted touching, as a JR person, who do you report your boss to for bad behaviour? Do you look at career road blocks you might be throwing up in front of your career because the upper levels might see it as you not going to play the game when you move up the ladder ? Or are they going to see you as a person who cannot take a joke, or what ever the excuse is they think of for you not going along with their actions?

It is time for the people who wear the stars, the maple leafs, or the chain of office start looking at things without their power coloured glasses on.

Treat the people below them as if they were actual family members ( police services call it a brotherhood, ( that has to change it is a familyhood since both sexes are in the service now ) and how would they like to hear that comment about their daughter or wife by a fellow brass hatter or even someone below them in rank?

Maybe some of these police officers need to know what it is like to hear that some one want to stick a gun up their butts, or maybe do something nasty to their wife or daughter even in jest, it is still a sick joke.

MWOs and CWOs should be pulling officers, peers and higher ranks aside and politely informing them that X is standard and the need to meet it.

I had to do that very recently. I had to speak with a HoD; asking to ensure his baby HoD steps a little closer to the razor in the morning. The JR sailors look at them and will mimic what they see. And I cant correct them when the standard is not the same across the board. No push back or fight, everything was polite and the problem went away.

If the JR member (or any member TBH) isn’t comfortable with, or doesn’t believe the CoC will address the issue, I’d recommend direct contact with the CAF Sexual Misconduct Support and Resource Centre. (They have a 24/7 toll-free contact line)

Here’s one of the biggest violators of dress instructions on the Commonwealth!

World War 2 Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Here’s one of the biggest violators of dress instructions on the Commonwealth!

World War 2 Vintage GIF by US National Archives
and who corrects him?

One of them is the badge that goes with the beret, this is the badge of the Royal Tank Regiment and it was on the beret when he was presented it informally by the men of the regiment. The second badge is his beret badge which is worn by all General Officers which he had added to the beret.

To the men, Montgomery became the officer who defeated the dreaded Erwin Rommel. His popularity was gained not only through victories, but also his efforts to win the hearts of his men. He made sure that he was visible to the front line soldiers, speaking to them as much as possible. On one of the visits, he visited an armor unit, and spoke with the crew of a tank; one of the tankers gave him a black beret of the Royal Tank Regiment, which he wore for the remainder of the war, becoming part of his signature look.

This could also go on the "Walt and Stolen Valour" thread, but since it's veered to following dress codes . . .

A chief constable has been placed under criminal investigation and suspended over claims that he wore a military medal from the Falklands campaign despite not having fought in it.

Nick Adderley, the chief constable of Northamptonshire police, is under investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which will examine whether the offences of misconduct in public office and fraud by false representation may have been committed.

Adderley, now 57, and 15 at the time of the Falklands conflict in 1982, had been pictured wearing a medal given to those who served during the conflict. He explained that the medal belonged to his brother, who had served in the war.

In a 2020 photo (not from the linked article) the ribbons of the General Service Medal and the South Atlantic Medal are being worn.

1697566594172.png

But he had an excuse . . . just not a good excuse.

After the allegations surfaced in September, Adderley said: “Coming from a military family, I wear all my medals with pride and have always worn the two medals my brothers gave me to wear when one became critically ill and one emigrated, alongside my own.

“Having been made aware of this complaint, which has a private family impact upon me personally, I immediately took advice last week regarding the protocol and have changed the side of my chest on which these medals are worn.”

What should he have known?

Adderley became chief of the Midlands force in August 2018, and in April 2023 returned as chief constable and a £165,000 annual salary after a short break between contracts. Before policing, he served in the Royal Navy.

Military protocol allows someone to wear military medals they have not themselves won but they must be worn on a different side of the chest from any medals they have earned.

The Royal Navy would have told him

4419. Wearing of Family Medals
Medals awarded to parents, grandparents, children, siblings or other family members,
are not to be worn by serving personnel in uniform. Such ‘family’ medals may, however, be
worn in civilian clothing on suits or blazers and female equivalent dress on the appropriate
occasions, when they are customarily worn over the right breast.

What the UK government says.

Wearing of medals
You should only wear official decorations, medals or emblems that you are entitled to and have been approved for acceptance and wear. Unofficial medals should not be worn with official orders, decorations and medals.

If you are the next of kin of a deceased service person, it is common practice to wear your relative’s decorations and medals as a mark of remembrance. It is custom to wear medals on the right breast in civilian dress only, official approval is not required to wear relative’s medals.

Current serving personnel should not wear relative’s medals or unofficial medals whilst wearing uniform.

What the Royal British Legion says
  • The medals awarded to a deceased service/ex-service person may be worn on the right breast by a near relative. Near relative is Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, Wife, Husband, Daughter, Son or Grandchild.
    No more than one group should be worn by any individual.

And what his police service tells its members.

Medals, Ribbons and Embroidery
Wear only medals to which you are entitled. When medals are worn, they may be
court-mounted.

and who corrects him?

One of them is the badge that goes with the beret, this is the badge of the Royal Tank Regiment and it was on the beret when he was presented it informally by the men of the regiment. The second badge is his beret badge which is worn by all General Officers which he had added to the beret.

To the men, Montgomery became the officer who defeated the dreaded Erwin Rommel. His popularity was gained not only through victories, but also his efforts to win the hearts of his men. He made sure that he was visible to the front line soldiers, speaking to them as much as possible. On one of the visits, he visited an armor unit, and spoke with the crew of a tank; one of the tankers gave him a black beret of the Royal Tank Regiment, which he wore for the remainder of the war, becoming part of his signature look.
A great leader who rode his officers hard, but his adherence to the dress standards were…flexible. I’ve seen several pictures of him wearing what looks like non-issue clothing with his trademark non-standard beret. And you’re right. Who corrects the most popular Field Marshal in the Empire? Churchill? The King? Do they care? I doubt it. But if a corporal or even a major showed up for duty in a two-badged beret and cozy wooly sweater…
Tom Holland Army GIF by Apple TV+

Class action landslide anyone?

More female police officers join proposed B.C. harassment class action lawsuit​

On October 12th, six women police officers, past and present, announced a proposed class action lawsuit for discrimination and harassment based on gender.

Since then, the law firm representing those women has been inundated with inquiries.

More than 60 female officers have added their names to a confidential information website created for the lawsuit, former Delta police officer Helen Irvine told Global News.

“In the last 10 days we’ve had an incredible outpouring of support from other women, from other police officers, from people we don’t know, just strangers, and it’s been incredible,” she added.

The officers made numerous allegations in their suit against the 13 B.C. cities with municipal police agencies, along with the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner (OPCC) and B.C.’s solicitor general and public safety minister.

One officer, who can’t be identified due to a publication ban, was sexually assaulted by a member of the Vancouver Police Department. She says the Police Act is failing them.

“There is no capture in the Police Act when an officer puts their hand up and says I’m actually a victim at the hands of another officer,” she told Global News.

Just putting it here as I doubt it's worthy of a seperate thread, but those Ottawa folks sure do keep us well read.🤠

Sigh. Ontario proclamations for this and that are a weekly occurrence. I've really stopped wondering when the the flags are at half-mast.

Sigh. Ontario proclamations for this and that are a weekly occurrence. I've really stopped wondering when the the flags are at half-mast.

Right? Every time I drive past the ambulance station on the corner, it seems their flags are at half-mast.

Back