• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

. Absurd...

And its everywhere, the only time a sentence is usually proper is when, for some reason, the media has got involved....same for parole.
I'd bet money that Karla Holmoka would have been out in 3-5 years if it all hadnt been a media storm.

Trial by Tik Tok...

VicPD officer suspended after woman accuses him of sextortion, grooming​

The Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner (OPCC) has confirmed that a Victoria police officer was suspended after a woman accused him of extorting her and grooming her.

On Tuesday, VicPD and the OPCC said an officer had been suspended amid an investigation into a misconduct complaint, though the nature of the complaint was not disclosed.

Since then, a video posted to TikTok shows a young woman claiming that a VicPD officer, who she says she had known since she was 15 and dating his son, had groomed her and taken intimate videos of her that he used to extort her.

“This is a story of how I was extorted by a supervisor with the Victoria Police [Department], and treated poorly by the department when I reported the incident,” the video begins.

The woman says the officer knew her when she was a vulnerable youth, before pursuing her from a position of power.

Police adjacent: Head of Ottawa's Police Oversight Board resigns after seven months in the job. Not mentioned in the press release? Her son's arrest as part of what's being called "the biggest drug bust in Ottawa history".

City of Ottawa…don’t go changing!

Police adjacent: Head of Ottawa's Police Oversight Board resigns after seven months in the job. Not mentioned in the press release? Her son's arrest as part of what's being called "the biggest drug bust in Ottawa history".

Is a police oversight board one of those organizations filled non experienced "academics" who judge police actions after the fact ?

Is a police oversight board one of those organizations filled non experienced "academics" who judge police actions after the fact ?

The board in question:

The Ottawa Police Services Board is a seven-member civilian body that oversees the Ottawa Police Service.

The Board is responsible for setting the overall objectives and priorities for the provision of police services, after consultation with the Chief. It is also responsible for hiring and monitoring the performance of the Chief, approving the annual police budget, and preparing a business plan for the Police Service every three years.

And its statement about the resignation of its Chair.

They aren’t in any way a part of investigating and recommending charges on police incidents, if that’s what you mean. In Ontario a police services board is basically the link between municipal government and the strategic direction of the police service.

Question (I asked s few friends last night while we were out, I'm not confident in the answers I kinda sorta got...)

But are the police boards a volunteer position? (But like a serious volunteer position that one can't just walk away from after showing up twice...)

Or are these full time civilian jobs? Part time?

Generally in my experience they are paid for their time spent at the meetings or doing their work for the commission as a part time job. Some are honorarium positions.

You can see on their job postings usually how much time a week/ how much a month they anticipate they’ll be working

That's usually reserved for university criminology professors.

Question (I asked s few friends last night while we were out, I'm not confident in the answers I kinda sorta got...)

But are the police boards a volunteer position? (But like a serious volunteer position that one can't just walk away from after showing up twice...)

Or are these full time civilian jobs? Part time?
In Ontario they are appointed positions. The Police Services Act sets out the size and composition of the board based on population. A set number of positions represent the municipal council, community member(s) at large (appointed by council) and the provincial government (appointed by Cabinet). The remuneration (pay) of a provincial appointee is set out in regs under the Act and it is little more than a small honourarium, paid by the municipality. The members of municipal council will make whatever they make for committee work and I assume the community appointee(s) will make whatever the terms of appointment is.

They are technically the employer of the police service. MoUs are signed between the Board and Ass'n, the appoint the Chief, etc.

It blows my mind sometimes how shady & clearly incompetent (I'd bluntly say corrupt, but also realize there may be something that I've missed that is relevant) some folks are...

Like he didn't die from natural causes, that part has been made clear...

"He died from asphyxiation via choke hold? AND an overdose of ketamine? Golly gee, how did THAT happen!?"

"He was attacked by the police while walking home from the store, and wasn't committing any crimes when doing so?"

"The medics injected him with HOW MUCH KETAMINE!?"

"Nah, I'm not going to pursue any charges against these guys. It's Bob, and Larry!"

"Nothing to see here folks, nothing at all...move along now, go get some KFC or something...."

I'm glad everybody involved ended up charged. Big time. Poor kid...

Update in today's news.

They are in the middle of the third and final criminal trial of three police officers, and two City of Aurora, Colorado paramedics.

The Civil Rights lawsuit by the family against the City of Aurora was settled for $15 million USD.

OPP detain a reporter and seize their SD card on the site on an accident; the Canadian Association of Journalists is unamused.

OPP detain a reporter and seize their SD card on the site on an accident; the Canadian Association of Journalists is unamused.

Oof. That’s gonna be very tough to justify. Doesn’t sound like his photos afforded evidence he was uniquely capable of obtaining or that was perishable and would be lost otherwise. Sounds like they could have stood in the same spot and taken the same photos.

Oof. That’s gonna be very tough to justify. Doesn’t sound like his photos afforded evidence he was uniquely capable of obtaining or that was perishable and would be lost otherwise. Sounds like they could have stood in the same spot and taken the same photos.
Of particular interest is the journalist's claim that "Other people were nearby capturing images on their cell phones, but police did not accost or detain them or take their devices, Vivian noted."

If that is in fact the case, this appears even more problematic.

Of particular interest is the journalist's claim that "Other people were nearby capturing images on their cell phones, but police did not accost or detain them or take their devices, Vivian noted."

If that is in fact the case, this appears even more problematic.
Yes and no. If he was taking photos with a good camera versus buddy with a cell phone, that aspect of it could be articulated- if you put it in enough of a frictionless vacuum.

I’ll keep an open mind, but I definitely need to be convinced this was necessary, even if the Coroner’s Act grants broad authority making it lawful.

Another Guelph media's take on it though...... some heavy accusations against the reporter. Local Reporter Detained, Equipment Seized by OPP

Maybe something in managing the scene failing to follow a lawful command. Camera and photos are evidence that he was interfering. 🤔

Other people being “nearby” could just mean they were told to stand up on the side walk or shoulder over there and listened, but this person didn’t and is arguing it’s only “15 feet”

Not referring to this scene, or any in particular.

But, as a viewer of local TV news, what I notice now is bodies left in public view draped with orange sheets.

Another Guelph media's take on it though...... some heavy accusations against the reporter. Local Reporter Detained, Equipment Seized by OPP
Uhh…. Nothing in that convinces me. A journalist isn’t legally obligated to be nice or considerate or decent. Taking photos of something from a public space where there’s no reasonable expectation of privacy is not in and of itself ‘obstructing’. Photographing a fatal collision from a public vantage point, while distasteful, is not an offense.

If he was specifically directed to move back or to give them space and didn’t, that would be one thing. I don’t see anything corroborating that. There’s no word of charges. Flip side, the seizure of the camera and the statement that the coroner wants the photos corroborate the original reporter’s account.

I remain convinceable, but not convinced.

Back