• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

I would say 25+. That way you'd still eliminate the radical left activist college/university types but still get the younger generation who've already entered the work force.
Nearly everyone I knew or know in school (I’m the old man in a couple undergrad classes right now) is working to support themselves through school. They are very much ‘in the work force’, and frankly are likely scrabbling much more desperately than you or I.

Your contempt for youth voters is nothing more than a desire to disenfranchise a bunch of adult Canadians because you, personally, dislike their politics. That’s horrendously undemocratic.

Nearly everyone I knew or know in school (I’m the old man in a couple undergrad classes right now) is working to support themselves through school. They are very much ‘in the work force’, and frankly are likely scrabbling much more desperately than you or I.

Your contempt for youth voters is nothing more than a desire to disenfranchise a bunch of adult Canadians because you, personally, dislike their politics. That’s horrendously undemocratic.

Nothing is changing with the voting system based off forum posts. This is a Hamas/Israel thread.

Relax.

It looks like alot of students have already chosen to opt out of the political process anyways...

Opinion: Students are at risk of becoming increasingly politically disengaged​

Canadian politics needs to be made more accessible and relevant to students, including non-citizens

In the 2019 federal election, only 53.9 per cent of voters between the ages of 18–24 years voted, which was considerably lower than the 70.6 per cent turnout rate for Canadians above 35 years old.

Compared to previous generations, young people and students, in particular, are increasingly uninvolved in traditional politics, and the reality of Canadian politics is not encouraging them to participate. Students also seem to be gravitating toward science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields that do not provide much motivation to be politically engaged. Furthermore, an entire segment of the student population — international students — are unable to be a part of the political process in the first place.

More STEM jobs may mean less political engagement

The industries with the highest potential earnings and most opportunities naturally attract many young people, and in this regard, political engagement does not pay the way it used to. Prior to this generation, Canada’s most prosperous and prestigious sectors, such as civil service, were strongly intertwined with politics. Also, workers who were members of unions had to be politically active to maintain their wages, whose remained higher in the mining sector than in the private sector through the 1970s.

Adult you say, these DHs are the same crew that brought you mega parties celebrating COVID, street racing etc. Really far thinking bunch IMHO!

Adult you say, these DHs are the same crew that brought you mega parties celebrating COVID, street racing etc. Really far thinking bunch IMHO!
Yes, adults. The same demographic would cover most of the Pte/Cpl serving in CAF as well. Young adults doing dumb stuff doesn’t make them not adults. I’ve dealt with plenty of abysmally stupid people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Nothing is changing with the voting system based off forum posts. This is a Hamas/Israel thread.

Relax.

I am relaxed. You simply posted a bizarre notion in this said Hamas/Israel thread, and I pointed out why it’s a dog crap idea. Obviously nothing in our discussions here is going to change any partt of the system.

I’d rather tie voting to national service but failing that just keep it where it is.

I love this idea. Want a say ? Do your part.

Starship Troopers GIF

Your wanting to remove a voting population based on their political leanings seems quite undemocratic.

How about adding an age limit say 65 when most retire so right wing old geezers can’t vote either? They will have left the workforce since the workforce is one of your qualifiers.

I’d rather tie voting to national service but failing that just keep it where it is. In fact I’d be ok lowering it but not without a qualifying factor (like NS, a test etc).
Graduated voting, so at 18 you can vote at the municipal level, 21 at the Provincial level and 25 at the Federal. One must have voted or volunteered in an election to acquire the next level. Perhaps passing an exam that covers the role of that government level might be called for as well. Proof of voting gets you a small tax break for the year you voted in. Voting Municipal gets you a tax break at that level or can be applied upwards if your not paying taxes directly. Reserve service gets you a tax break, volunteering for SAR group counts as well.

My daughter is doing politics in high school right now. I don't force my views on her and her political views are centrist. However her teacher is very much a staunch NDPer and she feels she has to lie to maintain a good mark. I told her to play up our familiy connections to the CCF/NDP in class discussion. Even her homework assignment is slanted to his views. Interesting to see someone so young, already becoming so cynical.

I would say 25+. That way you'd still eliminate the radical left activist college/university types but still get the younger generation who've already entered the work force.
I agree. Back in the olden days when the voting age was 21 those twenty-one year-olds had probably been in the work force for a number of years and were well into raising a family by then, and likely have formed more mature perspectives. Now, "kids" are still dependents well into their mid to late 20's and sometimes into their 30's... before finally being responsible for themselves.

Talk of lowering the voting age is just crazy talk. Would anyone realistically think a 16 year olds, whos brain haven't come close to fully developing, should have any say? If anything, consideration should be to raising it.

Back