• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Naughty, naughty Houthi...

US Navy destroyer in Red Sea shoots down cruise missiles potentially headed toward Israel: Pentagon​

The missiles were fired by Iranian-backed Houthi militia in Yemen, the DOD said.

The USS Carney, a U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer in the northern Red Sea, on Thursday shot down multiple missiles and drones launched by Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen that the Pentagon said were potentially headed toward targets in Israel.

It is the first time in recent memory that a U.S. Navy ship in the Middle East has engaged missiles and drones that were not directly aimed at the vessel.

It's also the first U.S. military action taken to defend Israel in the current crisis and with the U.S. and other countries trying to contain the conflict between Israel and Hamas, the possibility that an Iranian-backed proxy group fired missiles and drones at Israel is sure to increase growing regional tensions.

A very, very good speech by Biden a short time ago. It’s a few things: it’s a reaffirmation of the rights of Israel and Ukraine to exist and to defend themselves. It’s a lamentation of civilian death and suffering. He also reaffirms America’s support for a two-state solution is Israel/Palestine. It’s an absolutely unequivocal pledge of America’s support to both countries, with an announcement that tomorrow he’s sending an ‘unprecedented’ security bill to Congress seeking support for both Israel and Ukraine. It’s a warning to Russia and Hamas directly, and indirectly to many other adversaries, that America intends to retain a leadership role in world affairs, to protect democracy.

15 minutes or so. Worth a listen.

EDIT TO ADD: He lumps in moral and material support for Ukraine with support to Israel, with reference to the bill he plans to send to Congress tomorrow. That’s a deft bit of maneuver with American congressional politics.

Last edited:
A very, very good speech by Biden a short time ago. It’s a few things: it’s a reaffirmation of the rights of Israel and Ukraine to exist and to defend themselves. It’s a lamentation of civilian death and suffering. He also reaffirms America’s support for a two-state solution is Israel/Palestine. It’s an absolutely unequivocal pledge of America’s support to both countries, with an announcement that tomorrow he’s sending an ‘unprecedented’ security bill to Congress seeking support for both Israel and Ukraine. It’s a warning to Russia and Hamas directly, and indirectly to many other adversaries, that America intends to retain a leadership role in world affairs, to protect democracy.

15 minutes or so. Worth a listen.
I'll take your word for it.

Imagine the drug cocktail they shoved in him. He will be out of commission for bit after today and this week.

Leadership! The reason this is all happening is because the US is not leading and actors see weakness.

The problem is that Israel needs to win every time. The Arabs only have to win once.
Israel has nukes, it makes the actual countries in the region a lot more thoughtful.

Naughty, naughty Houthi...

US Navy destroyer in Red Sea shoots down cruise missiles potentially headed toward Israel: Pentagon​

The missiles were fired by Iranian-backed Houthi militia in Yemen, the DOD said.

The USS Carney, a U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer in the northern Red Sea, on Thursday shot down multiple missiles and drones launched by Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen that the Pentagon said were potentially headed toward targets in Israel.

It is the first time in recent memory that a U.S. Navy ship in the Middle East has engaged missiles and drones that were not directly aimed at the vessel.

It's also the first U.S. military action taken to defend Israel in the current crisis and with the U.S. and other countries trying to contain the conflict between Israel and Hamas, the possibility that an Iranian-backed proxy group fired missiles and drones at Israel is sure to increase growing regional tensions.

OT the USS Carney is equipped in the "Rota" configuration. It's a DDG that is based in Rota Spain. So extra stuff for the BMD duties. They retain both the Phalanx and SeaRAM systems and there is the software and other equipment upgrades. Reported they hit the missiles with SM-3's

I'll take your word for it.

Imagine the drug cocktail they shoved in him. He will be out of commission for bit after today and this week.

Very mature and useful reply, thanks for that.

Leadership! The reason this is all happening is because the US is not leading and actors see weakness.

Not so sure you’re going to find that point particularly easy to defend given the intent to reinforce allies and deter aggression that he’s clearly communicating here.

Anyway, the speech or its transcript are out there for you to watch/read, or not. Up to you.

Very mature and useful reply, thanks for that.

Not so sure you’re going to find that point particularly easy to defend given the intent to reinforce allies and deter aggression that he’s clearly communicating here.

Anyway, the speech or its transcript are out there for you to watch/read, or not. Up to you.

Ok ok... your right going for the cheap points

But I do believe the botched Afghan retreat did contribute to the current state of affairs. Many saw that weakness. Russia saw a weak President and US leadership. Did not think US and NATO would step up.

Ok ok... your right going for the cheap points

Your reply was juvenile and I called you on it.

But I do believe the botched Afghan retreat did contribute to the current state of affairs. Many saw that weakness. Russia saw a weak President and US leadership. Did not think US and NATO would step up.

Russia misevaluated and blew that call pretty badly. Tonight I believe Biden doubled down that America remains committed to curbing aggression. I’m very interested to see what is proposed tomorrow.

Pretty sure you know he wasn’t meaning Carrier Air Group, but rather the folks from Range 19.
I thought that CAG had already moved on to ACE, no?

(That said, I guess CVNs are the nucleus of a CSG now, no longer a CAG)

I thought that CAG had already moved on to ACE, no?

(That said, I guess CVNs are the nucleus of a CSG now, no longer a CAG)
So if there are two carrier groups in the East Med who commands it all?
Or are they independent of each other?

Israel has nukes, it makes the actual countries in the region a lot more thoughtful.
Countries yes, disorged, often unaffiliated street gangs with alleged religious bases not so much.

OT the USS Carney is equipped in the "Rota" configuration. It's a DDG that is based in Rota Spain. So extra stuff for the BMD duties. They retain both the Phalanx and SeaRAM systems and there is the software and other equipment upgrades. Reported they hit the missiles with SM-3's
SM-2s.

SM-3s are for BMD and wouldn't make sense here.

So if there are two carrier groups in the East Med who commands it all?
Or are they independent of each other?
Not sure how the USN’s C2 works in that case, OS. I’d guess it would be whoever the Fleet CinC is for the CSG that normally is in the Med? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back