• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
I don't think comparing 9/11 and Oct 7 is a smart game to play.

Two very different scenarios and the comparison debate will go no where.
you also compared what is alleged to have happened at the prison to war crimes of WW2.

And maybe you didn’t mean it as a justification but it certainly seems like normalisation the way it came out.

I can when he pointed those comments at people who I know have spend time in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Blanket denial holds the same water as blanket accusations.

Listen, prisoner abuse is beyond contemptible, but you cannot say lines like that without weakening your argument.
No one knows 100% what happens outside of the sphere they are in.
All I'm saying.....

Blanket denial holds the same water as blanket accusations.

Listen, prisoner abuse is beyond contemptible, but you cannot say lines like that without weakening your argument.
No one knows 100% what happens outside of the sphere they are in.
All I'm saying.....
The poster I responded to referred to comments by myself, @dimsum, and @brihard as “pearl clutching” I made the statement they both deployed and all three of us managed not to rape any prisoners. So I have two questions:

1. What blanked denial am I making

2. What part of pointing to lived experiences weakens my argument?

3. If you suggesting I cannot say for certain posters on this forum didn’t rape detainees I think the burden of proof is on you. So do you have some?

The poster I responded to referred to comments by myself, @dimsum, and @brihard as “pearl clutching” I made the statement they both deployed and all three of us managed not to rape any prisoners. So I have two questions:

1. What blanked denial am I making

2. What part of pointing to lived experiences weakens my argument?

3. If you suggesting I cannot say for certain posters on this forum didn’t rape detainees I think the burden of proof is on you. So do you have some?
Easy lad,........You're taking this way too personal, just as you took has "hand wringing" [which I agree there should be hand wringing] way too personal.
He did NOT mention names in his post, just a general statement. { to be truthful, I don't even see where he said "pearl clutching"]

And I don't think for a second that any Canadian soldier partook in this sort of crap, I just didn't like your blanket statement that no one did, we can never 100% guarantee that. We probably are in total agreement in everything but the wording......

Shit happens in war.

We did it wholescale and managed to maintain the moral high ground.

Israel will ensure justice is carried out.

Big meah from me.
Yeah give it about another 30-40 years and I bet our history books are going to look at WWII a bit differently. It is already starting.

History is written by the victors, but the farther we get from the past the better we can examine it from a dispassionate stance. We did it with Napoleon. We did it with WWI. We have done it with the Boer War and all the other colonial conflicts. We will do it with WWII too.

WWII also benefited from the advantage of a censored press. Makes it a lot harder for the public to have had anything but a positive view of events.

Yeah give it about another 30-40 years and I bet our history books are going to look at WWII a bit differently. It is already starting.

History is written by the victors, but the farther we get from the past the better we can examine it from a dispassionate stance. We did it with Napoleon. We did it with WWI. We have done it with the Boer War and all the other colonial conflicts. We will do it with WWII too.

WWII also benefited from the advantage of a censored press. Makes it a lot harder for the public to have had anything but a positive view of events.
Absolutely. The strategic bombing campaign by the USAAF and RAF isn’t portrayed as good, or necessary, as it was before.

Masters of the Air has a spoiler alert…

Scene lifted pretty much from the book where the captured B-17 crews get beaten (and some killed) by German civilians in Muenster because of the indiscriminate (to them) “terror-bombing”.

And maybe you didn’t mean it as a justification but it certainly seems like normalisation the way it came out.

We have prisons full of people who did this shit. Hell, we had a Submarine commander drive a cigar tube up a another's rectum in the 90s. Violence and assault is a normal part of the human condition. That doesn't mean its right, it just means its a fact of life; and we need to try an lessen it and deal with it; but its not ever going away.

I'm not giving a pass to the IDF folks who did this, and I trust the Israeli/IDF investigative services to deal with is.

I'm just not shocked that something like this has happened. Just look at the horrors that started all this on Oct 7th. I would imagine there has been other acts of depravity in this conflict that we will never know about either.

Maybe you lot are shocked by what you see/read. Not me.

And no, I don't think this one incident is going to change anyone's minds on the war. Look the news is already moving past it with the strikes on Hezzbolah, mind you the only place I read about it was on this site in the first place.

This is just in. An Israeli airstrike in Tehran just killed Ismail Hanniyeh, Hamas' political leader!

Will see if this will escalate an Iranian response.

This is just in. An Israeli airstrike in Tehran just killed Ismail Hanniyeh, Hamas' political leader!

Iran can’t not retaliate after being made to look that weak in harbouring Hamas’ leader and him getting killed anyway. But Israel will have considered and factored this. Coupled with Hezbollah’s 3rd playing catch with an air strike in Beirut earlier, it’s probably gonna be a busy couple weeks over there.

Absolutely. The strategic bombing campaign by the USAAF and RAF isn’t portrayed as good, or necessary, as it was before.

Masters of the Air has a spoiler alert…

Scene lifted pretty much from the book where the captured B-17 crews get beaten (and some killed) by German civilians in Muenster because of the indiscriminate (to them) “terror-bombing”.
As was said in the series about those same civilians … “ don’t worry about it Butch, I’ve seen some things. They had it coming.”

Iran can’t not retaliate after being made to look that week in harbouring Hamas’ leader and him getting killed anyway. But Israel will have considered and factored this. Coupled with Hezbollah’s 3rd playing catch with an air strike in Beirut earlier, it’s probably gonna be a busy couple weeks over there.
Oh well. If Iran goes too far then I guess another helicopter ride will be in order.

Just to be clear, neither Israel nor Iran have stated that the attack was conducted by Israel. I mean, we can all read between the lines, and even if it turned out to be someone other than Israel, I would bet dollars to donuts that Iran will claim it's Israel anyways, but lets make sure we are only sharing currently known facts.

Just to be clear, neither Israel nor Iran have stated that the attack was conducted by Israel. I mean, we can all read between the lines, and even if it turned out to be someone other than Israel, I would bet dollars to donuts that Iran will claim it's Israel anyways, but lets make sure we are only sharing currently known facts.
Certainly possible someone else whacked the leader of Hamas in the capital of Iran- but I doubt any of us would take that bet.

Just a note: Just fine-tuned a thread on this year's potential (growingly likely?) evacuation from Lebanon.
Feel free to discuss the military/tactical/strategic elements of the Lebanon fight in the current "Hamas Invaded ISR" thread, but it might be less messy if you keep the "get Canadians outta Lebanese Dodge 2024" info to the newly-cleaned-up thread.

Also, if you want even MOAR background, there's the previously merged thread here:

Thanks!

Milnet.ca Staff

Back