• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Honest question…

Is it legitimate for the Feds to enact the EA to regain control of a situation when the City can’t find its ass with both hands and the Province sits back with popcorn, regardless of the lack of credible intelligence on national security threats? Is it enough to have a lawless situation that is not being addressed adequately by local officials with readily available tools?

Honest question…

Is it legitimate for the Feds to enact the EA to regain control of a situation when the City can’t find its ass with both hands and the Province sits back with popcorn, regardless of the lack of credible intelligence on national security threats? Is it enough to have a lawless situation that is not being addressed adequately by local officials with readily available tools?
From the Act:

“3 For the purposes of this Act, a national emergency is an urgent and critical situation of a temporary nature that

• (a) seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it, or
  • (b) seriously threatens the ability of the Government of Canada to preserve the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of Canada
and that cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.”

Also:

public order emergency means an emergency that arises from threats to the security of Canada and that is so serious as to be a national emergency; (état d’urgence)

threats to the security of Canada has the meaning assigned by section 2 of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act. (menaces envers la sécurité du Canada)”

Bear in mind that the context of the Emergncies Act proclamation was not the Ottawa occupation isolation, but the larger context of the border blockades (however long or short) at Coutts, Emerson, Windsor etc, the the prospect of all of these things continuing, reoccurring, or inspiring similar events elsewhere.

Isolated to one city, it would be very difficult to argue that the necessary thresholds under the Act were met. When there are several major disruptive events across different jurisdiction, that may be easier to articulate. I suspect we’ll hear more on that later.

I trust it as long as I agree with it.

Sounds like my marriage. If our views are different, obviously, hers are correct. :)

Bear in mind that the context of the Emergncies Act proclamation was not the Ottawa occupation isolation, but the larger context of the border blockades (however long or short) at Coutts, Emerson, Windsor etc, the the prospect of all of these things continuing, reoccurring, or inspiring similar events elsewhere.

Be interesting to see if Canadians have changed their opinion.

I cannot wait to hear the howls when the EA is used for a protest by non-déplorables.

Honest question…

My guess is the inquiry will come to an answer in that.

I don’t think the act was needed. What was needed was the city of Ottawa and OPS in particular to get THEIR act together.

Did the EA expedite an end to the mess? Yes. But so many other things I think could have been done before.

My guess is the inquiry will come to an answer in that.

I don’t think the act was needed. What was needed was the city of Ottawa and OPS in particular to get THEIR act together.

Did the EA expedite an end to the mess? Yes. But so many other things I think could have been done before.
Tangential but related, Ottawa’s Police Services Board has appointed a new chief. RCMP Assistant Commissioner Eric Stubbs has been headhunted.

Stubbs previously commanded Terrace, BC and Prince George, BC detachments as Inspector and Superintendent respectively. He worked at RCMP national headquarters in Ottawa as a Chief Superintendent, and then returned to BC on promotion to Assistant Commissioner. There, he was the Criminal Operations officer for BC RCMP- functionally, the 2ic of all RCMP in BC, and the ultimate decision maker and oversight for most operational policing matters. He’s got a lot of experience in engaging directly with municipal governments as the OIC of local police, overseeing major organizational initiatives, and overseeing major public order events. What I’ve seen from a lot of Mounties so far is “our loss”, and “another good officer leaves the force”. So, at first glance, Ottawa may be well served by this outsider coming in. He has no Ottawa municipal (or convoy) baggage that I’m aware of.

The Police Services Board’s decision to make this appointment days before a municipal election is a separate and very contentious matter (bracing myself for @dapaterson to light me up), but, for better or worse, there’s gonna be some stability for a while now.

I think the real hero was Zexi Li.

I love my community so much ... I am heartbroken by the trauma that is being inflicted on me and my neighbours ... to feel like a prisoner in my own home by people who claim to stand for freedom.

Isolated to one city, it would be very difficult to argue that the necessary thresholds under the Act were met. When there are several major disruptive events across different jurisdiction, that may be easier to articulate. I suspect we’ll hear more on that later.
Respectfully, I think this is a stretch. Windsor was resolved when the Province of Ontario filed a court injunction (11 Feb) and used WPS and OPP to clear the blockade (12 Feb) peacefully within hours of the injunction, several days before the EA was enacted. By timelines, as far as I can tell, Coutts was again resolved locally when the convoy protesters left peacefully on Tuesday 15 Feb, following the RCMP’s weapons bust on Monday 14 Feb (day of, but before the Parliament vote to enact the EA) and charges laid in a small group of protesters that had integrated themselves into the larger peaceful group. Perhaps there is a case that the EA enactment late on 14 Feb influenced the Emerson, MB blockade removal late-15/early-16 Feb, although any media and RCMP statements I find surrounding that crossing makes no reference to the EA.

I think the real hero was Zexi Li.

I love my community so much ... I am heartbroken by the trauma that is being inflicted on me and my neighbours ... to feel like a prisoner in my own home by people who claim to stand for freedom.

If that was trauma I really hope hard times don't really befall so if these folks.

We get it. You have no sympathy for the real people that were affected by this.

First world problems bro.

Go Ahead Yes GIF

Misinformed outsiders that have a built in irrational hatred for Ottawa is more like it. And that don’t really care who gets hurt as long as it fits their politics. Bro.

Seems like the majority named in the class action came from out of town.

Back