• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Back to the banks role. It was the banks that had the EMA stopped. Trudeau had a tap on the shoulder. He was told to stop it. My bank contacts told me they were seeing billions in outflows. They got very scared. People going to cash and companies and others moving money out of the country. They had never seen anything like. To this day money is outflowing to other places. Decades of banking trust evaporated in days. The freezing and monitoring of accounts was the single biggest dumb move ever. And it will be the least reported and examined. The banks had to step in and stop Trudeau.
That’s because the people have never seen anything like a Canadian government freezing bank accounts, especially for this scenario.

Funny this isn‘t/wasn’t front page news at the time… it’s one of the biggest scandals of government overreach of our time.

There are far too many bootlicking yes-fucks in government today who believe they work for Trudeau and not the public.

No need for professional PR plans to not be Dancing and pissing on a monument and using it as a political prop. You just have to not be an a-hole.
Funny one group didn’t think they needed it, while another knew they would.

Seriously? Where do you think TUPOC, the Queen of Canada and these other clowns have in mind?

When they talk about sovereign citizens, or wants the GG to remove the elected representatives from power and replace them with a 'people's council' that's all directed at an overthrow of the government. They also aren't talking just Trudeau, they wanted to relieve the entire HoC, so was weird to see PP and others with them.

The weird thing is a lot of these clowns are talking about American laws, like they somehow apply in Canada.

The judge at the Tamara Lich bail hearing (or maybe Pat King?) agreeing with them that they believed in the First Amendment, and that Manitoba was in fact a province was both funny and sad. The frustration is real everywhere, but the lack of basic civics understanding was a bit shocking.

This is a classic case of "nut picking" to delegitimize the anger and frustration that lead to the convoy in the first place. Ie.

"Look at how nutty the leaders are, proof they're all nuts"

I suspect the vast majority of people who showed up, particularly at the start, didn't care about the manifesto, they were there to show they were unhappy with the government. The government then went out of its way to attack those people verbally, causing some to become even more entrenched with the actual nuts.

The convoy rolled to Ottawa and did what they did to make a point. If they just parked in protest at a truck stop in anytown Alberta nobody would notice or care.

This is a classic case of "nut picking" to delegitimize the anger and frustration that lead to the convoy in the first place. Ie.

I suspect the vast majority of people who showed up, particularly at the start, didn't care about the manifesto, they were there to show they were unhappy with the government. The government then went out of its way to attack those people verbally, causing some to become even more entrenched with the actual nuts.
The people lining the highway in support agree with you.

Is that the woman that threw the bike at the RCMP?
In case anyone was wondering what actually happened there with the benefit of hindsight, crowd was getting very pushy-shovey with the front line of riot police; this was pretty much the start of the police-vs-crowd confrontation for the weekend and the crowd had a lot more resistance in them at that stage. People were getting arrested from that part of the crowd left, right and centre (it actually became a significant logistical challenge given how cold it was). Decision was made to send the Toronto Police mounted unit through to break up some space between police and the crowd. They did so, and two things happened about the same time; one, she ended up pretty much at the front of the crowd and either pushed or was pushed forward a bit, and two, one of the horses slipped a bit on snow that, by then, had been packed basically to ice. A friend of mine who rides was telling me afterwards how horses have pretty much no grip on that, and if given the choice, will step aside on a trail to avoid hard pack like that. She ended up partially under a horse as a result of this, and if I remember right ended up with a broken clavicle? Her walker did get badly busted up too. Just what a person with a walker was doing at the front of a crowd fighting police is an entirely separate matter, but anyway…

So yeah, one of those shitty things that no one wants to see happen, but sadly it did. For the rest of that day we had people yelling at us that a woman had died, though it didn’t take long to confirm it was BS.

All said and done I think she was actually the most serious injury in the whole event, which was quite remarkable.

Decision was made to send the Toronto Police mounted unit through to break up some space between police and the crowd.

I've seen our big beautiful Metro police horses at work many times. I don't really understand it, but they have a calming effect on angry people.

Not really, they self selected themselves as leaders at the start, and de-legitimtized whatever it was the original message was supposed to be (which they never really were clear on anyway). And then other groups also self selected themselves as leaders. At one point there was something like 4 different factions bargaining with the OPS, with a few others specifically coming out saying they had nothing to do with the others and wouldn't stick by whatever agreement the other factions might come to to relocate. None of them had the same point or demands; the only real consistent thing was they were frustrated and angry (at different things). Who exactly was the government supposed to try talking to?

These kinds of splits are probably present at most large scale protests, except they don't stick around for a month., or try and raise millions., so the fringe lunatics stay on the edges, instead of repeatedly getting in the spotlight.

There were a lot of 'F*ck Trudeau" flags, hats and tshirts floating around, with random people yelling at cashiers and other frontline workers they didn't need to wear a mask, we were all brainwashed etc. Their behaviour didn't exactly invite rational dialogue, and there were enough people behaving like that it was more than a small minority. And some are still sticking around (like TUPOC).

They would have made more effective point if they had stuck around for 3 days, kept the message consistent and simple, and then gone home. Instead they collectively behaved like assholes, and blew up a lot of sympathy and support they had at the start from everyone here who is also frustrated and angry, but still wants to be able to do things like have emergency service vehicles get through when they are called, or sleep.

Ottawa is pretty used to large scale protests and demonstrations, they happen here weekly, and in the summer there are usually a few concurrent ones on the go each week.

Not really, they self selected themselves as leaders at the start, and de-legitimtized whatever it was the original message was supposed to be (which they never really were clear on anyway). And then other groups also self selected themselves as leaders. At one point there was something like 4 different factions bargaining with the OPS, with a few others specifically coming out saying they had nothing to do with the others and wouldn't stick by whatever agreement the other factions might come to to relocate. None of them had the same point or demands; the only real consistent thing was they were frustrated and angry (at different things). Who exactly was the government supposed to try talking to?

These kinds of splits are probably present at most large scale protests, except they don't stick around for a month., or try and raise millions., so the fringe lunatics stay on the edges, instead of repeatedly getting in the spotlight.

There were a lot of 'F*ck Trudeau" flags, hats and tshirts floating around, with random people yelling at cashiers and other frontline workers they didn't need to wear a mask, we were all brainwashed etc. Their behaviour didn't exactly invite rational dialogue, and there were enough people behaving like that it was more than a small minority. And some are still sticking around (like TUPOC).

They would have made more effective point if they had stuck around for 3 days, kept the message consistent and simple, and then gone home. Instead they collectively behaved like assholes, and blew up a lot of sympathy and support they had at the start from everyone here who is also frustrated and angry, but still wants to be able to do things like have emergency service vehicles get through when they are called, or sleep.

Ottawa is pretty used to large scale protests and demonstrations, they happen here weekly, and in the summer there are usually a few concurrent ones on the go each week.
There is a vast difference between being an obnoxious idiot, and seriously supporting the overthrow of the government.

Were the people that stayed past the first weekend obnoxious? Yes. Did they dislike Trudeau? Yes.

Thats not what constantly bringing up the manifesto is about though, it's about delegitimizing the whole protest. Just like saying it had no real goal, or organization... It was about anger and frustration, and was supported by people who aren't professional protestors so, of course they didn't come across as slick as the professionals.

I live in Ottawa, where I live I didn't see too many angry residents other than ones directly downtown. Well... lots of angry government employees from the suburbs who complained about all the western rednecks, while working from home in the suburbs.

All said and done I think she was actually the most serious injury in the whole event, which was quite remarkable.

As always, appreciate the insight brother.

Are we in agreement then that someone didn't "throw a bicycle" at th police horses as was previously reported?

Are we in agreement then that someone didn't "throw a bicycle" at th police horses as was previously reported?
It did happen, it was more of a pushing motion than an actual throw. That is, if the video that is associated with it is the actual incident. It is possible that no one present uploaded a video of the actual incident because it would support the police narrative.

We are not in agreement on that. I don’t know if that happened as well. I haven’t made any effort to find out about that part; I’d be going by what’s public on that like anyone else. I know a lot was going on and the crowd at that place and time was causing real problems.

It did happen, it was more of a pushing motion than an actual throw. That is, if the video that is associated with it is the actual incident. It is possible that no one present uploaded a video of the actual incident because it would support the police narrative.
Don't police video crowd interactions? If so it would have been everywhere as an example of thuggish deplorable redneck behaviour that would justify a heavy response.

There are far too many bootlicking yes-fucks in government today who believe they work for Trudeau and not the public.
This is absolutely a thing, IMO.

PMO and PCO becoming PMCO, but at much lower levels within the Public Service…I definitely saw it in person post-2015. While I believe there has always been some degree of ‘belief bleed over’ shall I call it in the public service, particularly in the federal PS, I think that factor has grown significantly under the current government…not only grown, but been deliberately influenced to curry favour between the Govt and PS.

There is a vast difference between being an obnoxious idiot, and seriously supporting the overthrow of the government.

Were the people that stayed past the first weekend obnoxious? Yes. Did they dislike Trudeau? Yes.

Thats not what constantly bringing up the manifesto is about though, it's about delegitimizing the whole protest.
There really was two distinct "protests."

There was a broader movement, the Canadians donating, that showed up on the weekend and left, waving flags at overpasses, etc. This group was bigger, not homogenous, and largely not "in the know." 2nd, 3rd, 4th, hand information, supporting the idea the expressing frustration at the government.

Then there was the core protest. (Bauder, Barber, King, Laface etc) and the group in the hundreds that had either been organizing or being organized for weeks. Those involved at some level with the very public planning of "Operation Bearhug", the ones that thought that they were actually going to get the MOU (or something like it) enacted by "choking out" the whole of Ottawa. This group made up a much higher percentage of the long-haul occupiers than it did of the weekend protest and national support, but it very much did exist, and was at the core of the whole thing. They only walked back that asinine document because they realized that the hype about the scale was BS and that they were going to fail.

Acknowledging that rotten core doesn't delegitimize the anger felt and peacefully expressed by the others, but refusing to do so is just burying ones head in the sand about what was attempted.

This is absolutely a thing, IMO.

PMO and PCO becoming PMCO, but at much lower levels within the Public Service…I definitely saw it in person post-2015. While I believe there has always been some degree of ‘belief bleed over’ shall I call it in the public service, particularly in the federal PS, I think that factor has grown significantly under the current government…not only grown, but been deliberately influenced to curry favour between the Govt and PS.
This is definitely a thing, so much so that I was are you fucking kidding me in 2019. It has gotten even worse. PMO rules. If you disagree, they will find you and kill you, professionally.

This is definitely a thing, so much so that I was are you fucking kidding me in 2019. It has gotten even worse. PMO rules. If you disagree, they will find you and kill you, professionally.
Sorry, meant professionally in the job sense, not the hitman sense. Emoticon lacking.

Back