• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Floppy hat

Just as an aside..I read somewhere that the UK had adopted the velcro neck flap in their newest bush hats..can anyone verify this?

RangerRay said:
It's too bad that they didn't keep the old-style bush hat...nice and compact, covered the head, and didn't flop around!

The only downside was when some officers insisted on wearing them elf-syle!  :D

Too true it was a sight..............

Neither myself nor the prior owner of my CADAPT boonie got much use out of the neck flap so far.  I've had it nearly two years and I've used it once, for twenty minutes on a stalking ex, mostly because I didn't have enough time to cam up the back of my neck.

Just in case you think our hat is a problem, I've seen the Italian Alpini happily wearing these in the field.  Not sure if they still wear them.

Nice wool felt hat = warm and waterproof! Good for avoiding blue on blue at night too, I mean, who else on the planet would be wearing a hat like that?

TAC MP said:
At least our Bonnie Hat is not as wide as the MARPAT one. Judging from the photo It seems the Marines boonie hat has a very wide brim on theirs. I don't think ours is as Wide is that! Then again I could be wrong. I have not compared them side by side.

You mean our combat sombrero?

Modding the brim isn't really an issue in the Corps.  Most base tailor shops will do it for between $15 and $20 and alot of Marines have done this.

Ilike the hat...isued...it is comfyé

call me silly buts it is quite all right.

mysteriousmind said:
Ilike the hat...isued...it is comfyé

call me silly buts it is quite all right.

You might not think so after a patrol in the rain...

I was out in the rain for a good three or four hours with it and it was completely soaked through.  I didn't realize this until I took it off, but it had been soaked for quite awhile.

So I sprayed the thing with water repellent just to give a bit of added protection in anticipation of this past weekend, and it didn't rain until we were on the bus home.  :p

mysteriousmind said:
ACtually...

Ive been lucky enough to get rain every week end we were out when I was CIC (wich was until last december)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41921.1695.html

SO yes I had a lot of rain with it...and I still like it a lot.

Ok I did not do some "patrol" with it...but...rain is rain IMHO

::)

If you'd ever been on patrol then you'd understand the problems that arise from soggy brims obscuring your field of vision...  you are out of your lane on this one.

He has stated an opinion, not offered expert knowledge.. he's still in his lane.

So I sprayed the thing with water repellent just to give a bit of added protection in anticipation of this past weekend, and it didn't rain until we were on the bus home.

Thats some good water repellent you have there.

Bzzliteyr said:
If you'd ever been on patrol then you'd understand the problems that arise from soggy brims obscuring your field of vision...  you are out of your lane on this one.
He has stated an opinion, not offered expert knowledge.. he's still in his lane.
An opinion, not backed by knowledge, is mindless drivel - - useful only by sheer luck. So not only was he out of his lane, but he was in the wrong forum - - mindless drivel should remain in the site's Mess area.

You see, this part of the site should be for exchanging useful equipment information - - what parts of the uniform work, and how to fix those that don't. For example, how to modify the floppy hat if you have to wear it on patrol (where soldiers who patrol on foot have a requirement to see despite the rain). Clearly Bloggins 1 & 2 above have no experience, and thus contributed nothing of use. Now for the sunshine soldiers who like the hat as a fashion accessory, maybe a thread should be started to that effect under "Radio Chatter."

Otherwise they should have stayed in their lane and STFU.

But that's just my opinion.*

* I have patrolled in the rain, and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.  ;)

My point was that the "lane" he was supposedly out of was the fact that he knew nothing about what he was saying.  The topic had popped up about the floppy hat and it's ability in the rain.  Bloggins stated his opinion that it worked in the rain for him.  Does that mean it will work in the rain for everyone, nope. His original statement was "out of his lane" yes, but this topic is about the floppy hat (per the title) so he was just adding his 2 cents. 

*I have sat in the rain for whole days in Gagetown with both versions of my floppy.  I prefer the shortened one for it's lack of droopiness.  No wires or clothes hangers for me either, not needed now AND I saved a ton of money on my car insurance with GEICO!!!

Bzzliteyr said:
My point was that the "lane" he was supposedly out of was the fact that he knew nothing about what he was saying.  The topic had popped up about the floppy hat and it's ability in the rain.  Bloggins stated his opinion that it worked in the rain for him.  Does that mean it will work in the rain for everyone, nope. His original statement was "out of his lane" yes, but this topic is about the floppy hat (per the title) so he was just adding his 2 cents. 

*I have sat in the rain for whole days in Gagetown with both versions of my floppy.  I prefer the shortened one for it's lack of droopiness.  No wires or clothes hangers for me either, not needed now AND I saved a ton of money on my car insurance with GEICO!!!

Well just like the comercial alludes to, I guess posting is easy enough for anyone...

caveman_1.jpg

dileas

tess

Look guys... I did not want to cause a asset,

I stated that I used it under a lot of rain. OK I do not know nothing of patrol...but the subject is... Floppy hat not... patrol and Floppy hat. If you are not sure...take time to reread the thread title.

Again I'm sorry I have talked out of my lane...but I dint think so. I use it I'm in lot to say that I like it.

mysteriousmind said:
Again Im sory I have talk out of my lane...but I dont think so. I use it im in lot to say that I like it.

Is that what passes for English these days ?

cdnaviator said:
Again Im sory I have talk out of my lane...but I dont think so. I use it im in lot to say that I like it.
Is that what passes for English these days ?
M-Mind.....you've now got a franco....Airforce guy......dumping on you. 
Your lack of patrolling experience is the least of your worries  :rofl:

(and the initial...intervention....wasn't that serious. Just accept that some people here may know more about suitable equipment/uniforms for light infantry patrolling in inclement weather than others  ;) )

Back