• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Floppy hat

Annie

Inactive
Reaction score
I haven't been on tour yet but for you guys who have been, how often do you wear the floppy hat instead of your helmet? Regardless of how sunny it gets over there, there has to be something done about the brim - I know some guys cut theirs shorter but how much do you cut off?

Ha  HA  ugh

Don't cut the brim

It's made for your protection from the sun

And made for your protection from the RSM because he'll kill you if you cut the brim  ;)

Well,

You could make it into a Koifa...

Africanhat_OMA_3440.jpg

and be the stylish one, but I tend to agree with the good padre...leave it alone.

dileas

tess

btw tess..

Happy Birthday..  I missed is apparently.. sorry  :-\

I have heard rumours that some people trim their brims. I have heard, from that same rumour mill, that they do not cut away more than two seams' worth, as that has been found to provide the proper mix of shade, stiffness, and difficulty for RSMs to perceive.

I have also heard rumours that some people thread a length of flexible stainless steel wire into the brim, in order to form it and keep it from flopping into their field of view...

paracowboy said:
I have heard, from that same rumour mill, that they do not cut away more than two seams' worth, as that has been found to provide the proper mix of shade, stiffness, and difficulty for RSMs to perceive.
Prior to counting "seams", check it out: there is but ONE seam: concentric (like the old "groove" on vinyl LPs of old).  Cut a seam, and trace it around and the next thing you have is a beanie ;D

COBRA-6 said:
I have also heard rumours that some people thread a length of flexible stainless steel wire into the brim, in order to form it and keep it from flopping into their field of view...
I have heard the same rumours.
von Garvin said:
Prior to counting "seams", check it out: there is but ONE seam: concentric (like the old "groove" on vinyl LPs of old).  Cut a seam, and trace it around and the next thing you have is a beanie
yeah, I couldn't really figure out how to describe it. That seemed the best. (I don't wear the stupid, useless thing, so I can't make it any clearer.)

This is (hopefully) a no-brainer.  When you shorten the brim, seal the end with the trimmings.  Makes it harder for RSM's to spot the handiwork, though for some you'll have to get it professionally tailored because the RSM will want to inspect the stitching.

That's a pretty tough rule isn't it? Not cutting the brim? I know blokes back home who allegedly trim it so short it can be tucked behind their ears...PT instructors are a strange breed though  ;). Seems that mod'ing gear isn't exactly smiled upon over here. Should see the stitching in my hat too, its truly awful but it sure makes it a hell of a lot easier to get things done without the brim covering you eyes like it does when your wearing your "f###stick hat"....Allegedly that is.
What ever happened to the old "If it works, use it" or the "Different horses for different courses" theory?

It's a hat designed to protect you from the sun....not a fashion statement    ::)

Get 2...one for garrison and one for the field if you need a shortened brim.

Oh, the "Howdy Doodie" style went out years ago.....and most people who wear it now look like a horses arse.

My $0.02 worth

Regards

Yeah.. mine is nicely worked.  I took the outside "rim" off... cut my two lines... then using a sewing machine... I put the outside "rim" back on.  It looks almost stock.  I get the odd "did you cut your rim?" my answer is always "it shrunk in the wash".

I'll post a pic shortly comparing my two hats.  One recently recovered from the field.. with no name in it.  Wish I could find the owner....wonder why they always tell us to mark our kit?

Hey, Bzz

Did you find that hat any where near Day Hill and/or Sharpe's woods?  If so, I have a candidate who lost his.  Honestly.

E-Mail me on DIN and I can give you info on how to collect a case of beer for it (I'm sure that the young gentleman wouldn't mind paying for his hat back)

Nope.. it was recovered in the Jerusalem bivouac area...beside a tree.. also recovered: a broken QY RANG hat badge.. not sure if the two are connected.. they were nowhere near each other.  The funny thing about it was my students had just been sitting there so I was sure I'd be able to yell at one of them for leaving it lying around but once I confirmed they all had theirs..I took ownership of it.

von Garvin said:
(I'm sure that the young gentleman wouldn't mind paying for his hat back)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CANADIAN-MILITARY-CADPAT-BOONIE-HAT-SIZE-7-3-4_W0QQitemZ260010264347QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At $70US.. :eek:

but about modding it-

if you're on KAF the litte pakistani tailors shop will do it for less than $10. trim it that is. and restitch the brim.

That's what I did, trim and resew.  As for paying for a lost hat, under $20 at QM...with a lost/damage report.

Back