• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (serving Canadian military)

Just to remind you, Lt. Bews was "in uniform", she was an Air Reserve Logistics Officer and as quoted in the article, will most likely have a military funeral.  All in all, an extremely sad day for Cold Lake and the Air Force.

sic itur ad astra

rms

Brigadier-General MARC POULIOT, MSM,CD Died suddenly, Friday, April 1, 2005.

Respected and honoured in the military for service in Canada and abroad, Marc Pouliot was, above all, a good man: a loving and beloved husband, devoted father and faithful son to his parents and his country. Marc Pouliot is mourned by his widow, Jennifer Pouliot (nee Trudel), two young daughters, Jessica Rose and Nicole Julianne and a third daughter by a previous marriage, Stephanie Marie Huguette.

Among the other bereaved are: his parents Marcel Pouliot and Mariette (Racicot); his sisters, Lucie Pichette (wife of Jean-Pierre), Danielle Morin (wife of Daniel) and Christianne Pouliot (partner of Marc): parents-in -law Leonard Trudel (husband of Barbara) and Geraldine Castle-Trudel (wife of Frank Howard); a brother-in-law, Nicholas Trudel and two sisters-in-law, Victoria Noury and Mellissa Trudel .

At his death, Gen. Pouliot was Dir- Gen. LOGISTICS/ J4 MATERIAL at DND/HQ. He had been with the Canadian Armed Forces since 1973. A graduate of College Militaire St-Jean he held a Masters in Project Management and was a certified member of the Society of Management Accountants (CMA).

He served overseas with distinction in the former Yugoslavia, the Middle East and latterly in Afghanistan. In 2003, he was chosen to command the Theatre Activation Team for the deployment of the 2000 troops to OPERATION ATHENA in Kabul, Afghanistan for which he received the Governor General Meritorious Service Medal.

He was 49. ''.... Greatness and goodness are not means, but ends! Hath he not always treasures, always friends, the good great man? ...love and light,and calm thoughts,... ?'' ( Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

Funeral arrangements to be announced. The family asks that in lieu of flowers a donation be made to either a trust fund set up for his young daughters at the TD Canada Trust Barrhaven branch (br#2831) account #6278881 or, to the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Published in the Ottawa Citizen on 4/5/2005.

Fellows,

I am deeply saddened to report the passing today of WO Kevin Towell, PPCLI.  Kevin died early this morning as the result of injuries sustained yesterday in a single-vehicle accident on the highway just outside of Oromocto.  He is survived by his adolescent son, who will undoubtedly make his father proud as he grows into manhood.

Kevin was a personal friend of mine.  This reality makes my post here very difficult.  I have been caught by my own emotions, and am quite literally crying as I write this.  It is a tragic turn of events, and I don't really know where to begin in relating Kevin's irreplacable value to the Army.

Kevin was a long-serving member of 2 Commando, the Airborne Regiment.  He was qualified U.S. Army Ranger, Canadian Pathfinder, Military Freefall Parachutist, Parachute Instructor, and a whole host of other "high speed" qualifications.  In other words, Kevin was a "soldier's soldier" who reached and demonstrably surpassed the pinnacle of what any man could reasonably expect of a fighting man.

I first came to know Kevin when I was appointed OC Rear Party of 3 PPCLI for Op PALLADIUM roto 6.  Kevin was staying behind on the tour through no fault nor desire of his own.  I tasked him as the NCO IC of family relations - setting up the family resource centre within unit lines, orchestrating assistance to Battalion wives who needed it for residential moves, sorting out our Rear-Party contribution to the construction of a neighborhood playground that had been initially spear-headed by a deployed member of the unit, etc.  Given his hard-core background, you'd have thought that Kevin would be a "fish out of water" in dealing with the families of our deployed soldiers.  But the truth of the matter is that he was exceptional in that role.  Been there, done that, and incredibly approachable and supportive within the "arcs" that I had proscribed.

Later on, Kevin ended up as a Platoon 2IC in my company (B Coy, 3 PPCLI).  There, he was saddled with a newly-minted officer whom he took pains to develop.  We subsequently became short of officers due to various tasks, and Kevin became the acting Platoon Commander for various high-profile activities.  He never let me down - Kevin and I understood "misson first", and I am here to tell you that he was an absolute joy to work with.  We "clicked".

More recently, Kevin was posted to the Infantry School here in Gagetown.  By all accounts, he was an exceptionally valued member of the "pointy part" of the school.  Kevin fully exploited his personal combat experience on Op APOLLO and his contacts within DHTC to play a strong hand in creating the newfound "Urban Operations Instructor Course", for which he was the pilot course 2IC.  By all accounts, the course was a roaring success. 

WO Kevin Towell was a "soldier's soldier".  I am deeply proud to have known him as a personal friend, and to have hosted him in my home on numerous occasions.  My Wife is understandably distraught at the news of his passing, as am I.  It sucks, plain and simple.  I am not a religious man, so I can't purport to suggest that Kevin has gone to some "better place".  All I can personally say is that Kevin was one hell of a Canadian Soldier, and he will be deeply missed on both a personal and professional level.  He was a personal friend, an outstanding soldier, and a true citizen of Canada.  That is a fine and lasting legacy, by any man's measure. 

Mark C

WO Towell was a superb soldier and a great guy. 

A terrible loss for his family, our Regiment and the CF.

Thanks Mark for what you wrote.

RIP WO Towell, you are a great man and soldier.  It was a honor to serve with you during Op Apollo.  My condolences to your family.
You will not be forgotten.
Kirsten

Regarding funeral arrangements for WO Kevin Towell:

Services in Gagetown will consist of the following:

a.  12 May (today) - "Farewell With Dignity".  Gather behind bldg J-7 at 1115 hrs, or RV at Fredericton Airport 1130 hrs.  Dress is DEU 1A with medals and low shoes.

b.  16 May - "Base Memorial Service".  1330 hrs at St Mary's Chapel, CFB Gagetown.  Dress is dress of the day.

Funeral Services will be held in St Albert, AB as follows:

a.  Donations or flowers can be forwarded to the Connelly - McKinnley Funeral Home, 9 Muir Dr., St Albert, AB.

b.  Showing will be at the above Funeral Home on Friday, 13 May (time unknown).

c.  Funeral will be at a chapel (to be announced) at Garrison Edmonton on Saturday, 14 May.  Timing is presently anticipated to be at/not
before 1100 hrs.

d.  Burial will be at an Edmonton/St Albert Cemetary (to be confirmed) following the funeral service. 

Hopefully someone from the Edmonton PPCLI family will be able to provide confirmatory details of the proceedings at that end as further information becomes available.

Mark C 

I know 1PPCLI is sending a funeral party on Saturday.

I will check into more info.

WO Towell was my section commander on Phase 3 last summer.  He was a fantastic soldier and an inspiration to all of us on the course.  He will be missed.

A sad week in Gagetown.  In addition to WO Towell we lost Cpl John Carmichael.

From the Fredericton Daily Gleaner-
CARMICHAEL, CPL. NORMAN JOHN Age 26. It is with much sadness that the loved ones of John Carmichael announce his sudden passing on May 7, 2005 in Oromocto, NB. Born in Sydney, CB, on January 21st 1979, he was the loving son of Laura Lee (nee Porquet) and Norman Carmichael of Beaverbank, NS. He was a proud member of the Canadian Armed Forces, a supply tech at CFB Gagetown since the last four years, and prior to joining he was with the reserve forces for 2 years.

In addition to being a Supply Tech, he served with 1 Field and 3 Field Regiments in Halifax and Saint John.  The funeral is today, with a memorial service at St. Luke's Cathedral tomorrow (Friday), dress of the day.
I normally saw John only at PT but he was always ready with a smart comment to help cheer peole up.
He will be missed.

I just thought this would be a fitting place to put this, if there are any objections ill remove it.
To a Fallen Soldier
Dear Lord
Yet again, you question my faith in you,
You have taken from us a gifted soldier and friend.
A soldier who believed in you,
A man always giving and caring of others.
One who placed all others before himself,
Without question, rhyme or reason.

What now Oh Lord?
How will our hearts be mended?
And what of his family Oh Lord?
Will they yet once again see the light?

Does he sit beside you Oh Lord?
And smile upon your Grace?
He is of character Oh Lord,
Rough and jagged around the edges.

He is unrefined and coarse Oh Lord,
Yet loyal to your every need.
He speaks what's on his mind Oh Lord,
A true friend indeed.

Tell him we say goodbye Oh Lord,
As a tear drops from our cheek.
We will always Remember Dear Lord,
In silent prayer we keep.

In memory of Jamie Denis Vermeulen,
It was an honour to call you friend.
Warrant Officer Kevin Lewis, 'A' Company, 2PPCLI

I remember Kevin Towel as a SGT when he instructed on my basic moutain ops course in '96. He was a great soldier and a true proffessional. The army has lost a good troop and the towell family has lost a good man. RIP.

Funeral Proceedings - WO Kevin Towell

VIEWING

Friday 13 May 1400 - 1600hrs and 1900-2100 hrs
Saturday 14 May 0800-0900hrs

Connelly-McKinnley Funeral Home
9 Muir Drive
St Albert, AB
780-458-2222/422-2222

SERVICE

Protestant Chapel
Grn Edmonton
Saturday 14 May 1100hrs

After the service the funeral procession will proceed to Beechmount Cemetary (12420 - 104th Street Edmonton)

On completion of the graveside service there will be a reception in the Grn Edmonton WO & Sgt's Mess.

Dress:  Military members - full DEU with medals

Knew Kevin in 3VP in the early 90's. (if it is the same guy)
Great guy.

:salute:  :cdn:

Incase anyone on here knows her, Cpl. Julie Bailey of the Windsor Regiment (Ex. Essex & Kent Scottish) has just passed away due to a blood clot. She was on tasking in Petawawa. More infor to follow as it comes available.

This Friday, 15 July, 2005 there will be a "celebration of her life" held at the Major Tilston VC Armouries here in Windsor, Ontario at 5pm. All are welcome. Since this is not a memorial or funural service, we ask that you please refrain from wearing black attire.

It is with regret that I inform you of the passing last night of
Sergeant Wynyard Oscar Leslie Wharton, of The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, after a struggle with illness.  He is survived by his wife and two young daughters.

I will post funeral details as soon as they become available.

Rest in Peace, Les.

Confirmation for the memorials for Julie Bailey...

There will be a memorial for her in CFB Petawawa at 1900 hours tomorrow (July 13), exact location I am unsure about. She worked for Leadership Coy. so they may have more information.

There will also be a memorial in Windsor at the Armouries this Friday (July 15) at 1800 Hours. All are welcome.

Sgt. Whaton's funeral is on Saturday, 16 Jul 05 @ 1030.  It is being held the Beulah Alliance Church, 17504 98A Ave, Edmonton, AB

Back