• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (serving Canadian military)

Hey,

I was a close friend of Julie Bailey and just learned of her death.  I left on an exercise in Wisconsin and got back this past weekend to this.  Can anyone send me any info on the details of what happened and where I can forward my condolences too.

I'm interested in when and what happened.

Sorry if this doesn't seem right, I think I'm still a little stunned, just a few weeks ago she was wishing me luck.

Email me at neo_genesix@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Sgt Gord Graham passed on 11 Aug 05. Gord was a RMS Clerk, posted to 17 (Winnipeg) Service Battalion, and was the Winnipeg Garrison OR 2 ic. He joined the CF in 1981, and served proudly. Gord was taken ill with cancer a year ago, while we knew it was not a positive outlook, the end came unexpectedly, and very quickly.

We got Gord a day pass in January when we had out 40th Anniversary parade. The parade was dedicated to Gord, and we enjoyed a Guinness after.

Gord was courageous, and optimistic. Courage takes many forms, and Gord certainly had courage. He was to be promoted Warrant Officer, his dream,  this year, but was unfortunately was placed on SPHL. (Question - In the "people first "CF, in situations like this could not compassion out way regulations?)

For those personnel in Winnipeg, who wish to pay their last respects to Gord, you can go to the Chapel Lawn Cemetery on Monday the 15 Aug 05 from 1900 -  2000. The Chapel is located on the Trans Canada Highway West of the perimeter across from the entrance to Assiniboia Downs Racetrack entrance.

On Tuesday the 16 Aug 05 at 1400 at the 17 Wing Base Chapel Gord's Memorial will take place.  As per the wishes of the family the service  will  be short and should be between 30 and 40 minutes long.  After the service the family would like everyone to proceed to the WO & Sgt's  Mess where a small reception is planned.  It was Gord's wish that everyone have a Beer on him preferable a Guinness.

I guess it can safely said, see you later Gord.

I just learned that the Honorary Lt. Col. of 6FD SQN. has just passed away.
I'll post his Obit. asap.

I first met Lt.Col. Dow when I joined 6 Fd in 76 and came to learn that he was for the Men and not only took great interest in our well being but also the Corps as a whole Regular and Militia alike one of the finest Officers I have met in my 29yrs in the C.F..

One of my fondest memories was; one Halloween party ,the J.R's was full of all sorts of colourfull costumes except this one person in civies but with a big smiling clown mask on and not saying a word but coming up to those he knew and just nudging them and pointing at there drink and indicating "would you like one?" this went on all night and we were all puzzled "who is this CIVIE "?
At the end when the Mess closed this very charitable gent took his clown mask off and said "good party,good night guy's and behave your selves It was Lt.Col. Dow!!!!!

Here's just one of the things he did for the Corps.

http://www.nsnews.com/issues00/w091800/heritage-cabin.html

Bill Dow was one of a kind and we have lost a treasure in his passing.

Good By Sir,it has been a privilage to know and learn from you. :cdn: :salute: :'(

UBIQUE

This has been posted the Armoured thread....but more people come here on a regular basis.

To The Regimental Family & Friends of The Regiment,

It is with great regret and sorrow that we inform you of the death of Warrant Officer Benoit E.P.J. Aubin. WO Aubin passed away last evening 23 August 2005 in Deep River after a long and courageous fight against cancer.

WO Aubin was born in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario on 01 May 1965. He enrolled in the Canadian Forces on 01 November 1984, and served the CF with great loyalty and dedication for over 20 years. After his basic recruit and TQ 3 training in 1984, Ben was posted to the 8th Canadian Hussars and served with the Regiment in both Petawawa and Germany from 1984-91. He returned to Canada in 1991 and served with The Royal Canadian Dragoons in Petawawa from that time forward. From 1997-2000 WO Aubin served a short tour away from the Regiment as an instructor at the Armour School in Gagetown. WO Aubin served on two operational tours, one in Bosnia from 1994-95 and most recently with the Recce ISTAR Coy on Roto 0 in Kabul in 2003-04 as a Troop Warrant Officer.

An excellent soldier and Sr NCO, WO Aubin was a very strong leader who always represented his soldiers well, keeping their welfare at the fore at all times. The consummate professional who loved soldiering, he served as an inspiration to us all and set an excellent example for us all to emulate. A very outgoing, energetic and gregarious individual, his excellent sense of humour certainly set him apart and made him a joy to work with. As with all great Sr NCO's, he was never backwards in coming forwards either, and had an amazing ability to offer sound advise or counsel when required. A great friend and comrade to us all, he will be missed dearly in the Regiment.

Condolences may be sent to the Aubin family through the e-mail to the CO's Secretary, Muggsie Boland or the Acting Regimental Adjutant, Captain Rick Cameron. We will ensure they are passed along to the Aubin family.

Details of the funeral arrangements and/or Memorial Service will be passed along as soon as they are known.

Ben is survived by his wife Colleen, his son Eric, and two daughters, Christine & Aimee. A loving and devoted father and husband, he spoke often of his love and admiration for his wife Colleen and his three children. On behalf of the Regiment, we extend our sincerest condolences to WO Aubin's family.

Just know that the Regiment is doing everything it can to assist the Aubin family through this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Audax et Celer

A memorial is planed here in Kabul with all Royal Canadian Dragoons on or near the same time. The parade will be digitaly videotaped and posted to:  www.dragoons.ca

He was my troop Warrent in A Sqn RCD this past year. A fine soldier who was looking forward to joining the ranks of the JTF....

My condolences to Colleen and the kids....all Dragoons here share in your loss.

Regards

Another sad day in the Dragoons.

To the Regimental Family & Friends of The Regiment,

It is with the deepest regret that we inform you of the death of Sgt John
Eli Johannessen.   Sgt Johannessen died at his home in Cobden, Ontario on the
evening of 06 September in an apparent suicide.   This has yet to be
confirmed definitively and will not be known until the OPP investigation
which is ongoing is concluded.

Details of the military memorial service and funeral service will be made
available once these details are known.

Any letters of condolence may be forwarded to the Regimental Adjutant,
Captain Rick Cameron, or to the CO's Secretary, Muggsie Boland.

Sgt Johannessen is survived by his wife Genny Sue. Our sincere condolences
go out to Sgt Johannessen's immediate and extended family, our thoughts at
prayers are with them.   The Regiment is doing everything it can to assist
the Johannessen family through this very difficult period.

Audax et Celer

J.L. (John) Andrews
Major
OC HQ Sqn/Acting Regimental 2IC
Royal Canadian Dragoons
CFB Petawawa Local 5673
(613) 687-5511 ext. 5673

Muggsie

CO's Secretary RCD
Share Your Gifts

The Royal Canadian Dragoons
Worthington Barracks
CFB Petawawa
PO Box 9999 Station Main
Petawawa, Ontario, K8H 2X3

Thanks for the update George....another sad day in the Regiment indeed.

We found out this morning from Payner....getting tired of seeing our flag at half mast.

My condolences to his wife and kids.....

No one here had any idea that things were that bad for him....and I chatted with him all the time.

Regards

One dead, two injured in army training accident
Canadian Press

CFB VALCARTIER, Que. â ” One soldier died and two others were injured in a training accident in Alberta when their armoured vehicle rolled into a river.

Pte. Patrick Dessureault, of Alma, Que., was killed on Tuesday night near Wainwright, Alta., when the vehicle rolled into the Battle River, Canadian Forces Base Valcartier said in a statement Wednesday.

Pte. Jonathan Beaudin of Lorraine, Que., and Master Cpl. Richard Boudreault of Charny, Que., also were injured.

The three were from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment, from CFB Valcartier near Quebec City.

Soldiers managed to pull out Beaudin and Boudreault from the turret, while Dessureault, who was in the driver's compartment, was removed later from the vehicle.

"I am saddened by the death of Pte. Dessureault and the injuries sustained by Pte. Beaudin and Master Cpl. Boudreault,'' Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's Chief of the Defence Staff, said in a statement.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with these fine soldiers' families and friends right now.''

Soldiers administered emergency first aid until medics arrived. Dessureault was en route via helicopter to hospital when he was pronounced dead.

"My thoughts are of our fallen and injured soldiers, as well as their families and friends," said Lt.-Gen. Marc Caron, Chief of the Land Staff.

"I wish Pte. Beaudin and Master Cpl. Boudreault speedy and complete recoveries.

"Further, I will ensure this fatal accident is thoroughly investigated so that we can learn from it and apply those lessons to future training activities.''

Military officials as well as the RCMP were investigating the accident.

Je me souviens.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1127321120824_10/?hub=Canada

I can only hope that Juile passed peacefully and quietly when this occurred.  I have now just been informed of her passing the other day(29 Sep) and I am still in shock.  I guess it proves that you never know when your number is up.  May she rest in peace.

NR-2005-11    3 October 2005

Parachuting accident at CFB Trenton, Mountain View Detachment

8 WING/CFB TRENTON - A parachute instructor at the Canadian Parachute Centre (CPC) was pronounced dead this afternoon at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Mountain View Detachment at approximately 12:45 p.m. after a parachuting accident there late this morning.

The cause of the accident is under investigation. All parachuting activity at the CPC is ceased until further notice.

A military medic was on site at the time of the accident but as per the operating procedures of the CPC, 911 was called because injuries were suspected to be serious.

The soldier, an experienced jumper, was an instructor of the Military Freefall Parachute Course. A leased CASA-212 was the aircraft that the CPC was using for training at the time of the accident.

-30-

October 4, 2005
Jump proves fatalMilitary instructor from Edmonton dies in parachuting accident
By CP

BELLEVILLE, Ont. -- A parachute instructor from CFB Edmonton has been killed in an accident at the Canadian Parachute Centre at CFB Trenton in eastern Ontario.

Warrant Officer Charles Sheppard, 43, a veteran of about 2,500 jumps, died in a parachuting accident yesterday afternoon.

An instructor from the 3rd Battalion of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Sheppard was temporarily working at the Canadian Parachute Centre.

He was originally from Galt, Ont., and has been with the armed forces for 19 years.

An investigation is continuing into the cause of the fatal accident.

However, the military said weather conditions at the time of the accident consisted of clear skies and light winds.

"I am saddened by the death of Warrant Officer Sheppard," Lt.-Gen. Marc Caron, Chief of the Land Staff, said in a statement yesterday evening. "My thoughts are with the family and friends of this fine soldier."

Lt.-Col. Bruce Ewing, commanding officer of the parachute centre, said their sympathy and prayers are with Sheppard's family.

"We were fortunate to have him as an instructor because of his wealth of experience and knowledge he brought us, and his loss saddens us all," Ewing said.

Capt. Nicole Meszaros, public affairs officer for CFB Trenton, said the fatal jump occurred over the base's Mountain View detachment.

"A military medic was on site at the time of the accident, but as per the operating procedures of the CPC, 911 was called because injuries were suspected to be serious," said Meszaros.

Sheppard was jumping from a leased civilian CASA-212 aircraft, she said.

Military staff from across Canada train regularly at the centre, with parachutists a common sight over the rural Mountain View area.

One parachutist was injured at Mountain View earlier this year.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2005/10/04/1247607-sun.html

I guess he finally ran out of lives.

Have a good one,

Airborne.

From the clouds back into them.

May Bellerophon and St Michael guide you safely on your journey and ease the sadness in the hearts of your family.

Respectfully,

Mike Blanchette.

"What manner of men are these who wear the maroon beret?
They are firstly, all volunteers and are then toughened by hard physical training.  As a result they have that infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from physical well being.  They have jumped from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.
Their duty lies in the van of battle; they are proud of their honour and have never failed in any task.  They have the highest standards in all things whether it be skills in battle or smartness in execution of all peacetime duties.
They have shown themselves to be as tenacious and determined in defence as they are courageous in attack.  They are in fact, men apart.
Every Man an Emperor."

Field Marshall the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein.

Light winds and soft landings Charlie, this house is gonna miss ya. :salute:

My condolences to Charlies family. To Charlie, see you on the big re-org, hopefully not for some time. :salute:

Sad news to pass along,

I just received word this morning that MCpl Foley of 3RCR passed away in Petawawa today, apparently of a brain anuerysm.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his friends, his Regiment and Base at their loss. He will be missed.

:salute:

Dave Foley was at the time of his passing, part of the R Coy CQMS.

I worked with and played sports both with and against Dave during my time at the Bn.

This last time when I returned to the Bn as the UMS Sgt, Dave was one of the first troops to greet me. His "what the F@#% you doing here?" was punctuated by a smile and a welcome back handshake.

At the time of his passing the Bn was on ex in Quantico, Va. The news hit us hard. The memorial was held on Camp Upsure parade square, and was quite emotional as most of the Bn had known Dave as a fellow soldier, a competitive sportsman, and loving father.

Dave is survived by his wife, son age 7 and daughter age 4.

He is definately being missed.

Back