• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EV's, Gas/Oil, and The Future- another swerve split from- JT Hints Boosting Canada’s Military Spending

Maybe if larger vehicles weren't exempt certain efficiency requirements, and had onerous taxes if they didn't meet efficiency requirements. That might push car manufacturers in North America to offer smaller, better designed vehicles- that are available offshore.
Most people get trucks/full size SUVs because there is not a significant cost differential between that and a minivan or larger sedan. Some need them, most dont- at least in Alberta (where culture comes into play).

People also don’t need to fly in a private jet and can just as easily use commercial. Start banning private air travel then we can talk about banning vehicles you shouldn’t be driving.
You should be in the Olympics with that jump. I said nothing about banning. Make people think about what they need, and maybe reduce fuel consumption.

Standing by for being brigaded about how much more efficient trucks are now. So is everything else.
And I drive a 2002 Sonoma V6, so take from that what you want.

Yes but perhaps the market is not being offered the choices it wants.

…or perhaps it is, and a video blogger perhaps doesn’t know the market as much as a money making business better than a multi-national corporation?

You should be in the Olympics with that jump. I said nothing about banning. Make people think about what they need, and maybe reduce fuel consumption.

Standing by for being brigaded about how much more efficient trucks are now. So is everything else.
And I drive a 2002 Sonoma V6, so take from that what you want.
if the government dictates that only 60% of the vehicles sold can be ICE and you happen to pull in to your local ford dealership after that percentage has been reached, guess what, you are banned from buying your desired ICE. So no jump

I'm currently in Chania Crete. The biggest vehicles here are Ford Rangers.

And my pick up would not fit this place.

Having said that there is no way in hell I will willfully regress into buying some small compact car that I see over here. What I have offers me capability and power on call. It offers me room and comfort and it offers the spaces to carry ot tow many things. And it comes with a fuel efficiency that is fair for what I am getting in return.

I understand trucks aren't for everyone, and we all have personal choices; but for my money I don't know why anyone would want to own anything else. But that's just me, no imposition intended.

Funnily enough, the reasons we are seeing less affordable ICE cars on offer in North America is because of low fuel mileage mandates.

EVs and hybrids are bringing down the average fuel mileage of their fleets. Auto makers make way more money selling EVs/hybrids, trucks, SUVs, performance models and luxury models than they ever do selling small ICEs that get 40mpg and cost $20,000. The low fuel mileage mandates imposed by government is allowing the auto makers to stop selling affordable ICEs. Many people want to get a more fuel efficient car because of high fuel prices, but can’t afford the hybrid or EV options currently on offer. People end up buying bigger vehicles than they want or need now because they can’t get anything smaller or cheaper anymore.

So we should be driving Honda Civic ICE vehicles instead of Tesla 3s! Got it.

Besides, a Tesla 3 is 100% more $$$ than a Civic and 33% heavier/deadlier.

Edit to add for those who don’t like to read the fact sheet:

Tesla 3: 4032 lbs ☠️☠️ ☠️
Civic: 2965 lbs. 🎈🎈

Last edited:
Make people think about what they need, and maybe reduce fuel consumption.

We can probably get by with something like a CX-30 or CX-5/50, but spent a little extra for a full-sized SUV for the extra space and higher driving postition, plus you feel like you’re driving a tank. Running costs are irrelevant, I do my own work and extra gas costs are inconsequential. I’m not changing my habits when we there are so many other things we can cut that would make a much bigger difference - like private jets and Ocean cruises.

I'm currently in Chania Crete. The biggest vehicles here are Ford Rangers.

And my pick up would not fit this place.

Having said that there is no way in hell I will willfully regress into buying some small compact car that I see over here. What I have offers me capability and power on call. It offers me room and comfort and it offers the spaces to carry ot tow many things. And it comes with a fuel efficiency that is fair for what I am getting in return.

I understand trucks aren't for everyone, and we all have personal choices; but for my money I don't know why anyone would want to own anything else. But that's just me, no imposition intended.

Yesterday I finished a driving trip of about 3500 kms through rural USA: Washington State, California, Nevada and Idaho.

Gas prices were the equivalent of about 70 cents a litre, and about 99% of the vehicles I saw were pickup trucks or other SUV varieties. Same goes for the Seattle area.

Supply needs to meet demand and, in the world's largest marketplace (USA), demand is clearly on the side of trucks.

So we should be driving Honda Civic ICE vehicles instead of Tesla 3s! Got it.

Besides, a Tesla 3 is 100% more $$$ than a Civic and 33% heavier/deadlier.

Edit to add for those who don’t like to read the fact sheet:

Tesla 3: 4032 lbs ☠️☠️ ☠️
Civic: 2965 lbs. 🎈🎈

the Tesla is basically the same weight as an F-150 basic. The 4 wheel super cabs weigh in around 5 I think. So we can change the Economist headline to read "The growing threat from Tesla..." It all depends upon what you are trying to prove

the Tesla is basically the same weight as an F-150 basic. The 4 wheel super cabs weigh in around 5 I think. So we can change the Economist headline to read "The growing threat from Tesla..." It all depends upon what you are trying to prove
Yup. And many EVers/Teslars are driving Model Ys which are as heavy as an F-150 Super Cab.

My thrifty small-SUV is less murderous than any Tesla model, tows a 4000# trailer and can drive 1000km towing that trailer without recharging.

I suppose heavy Tesla drivers are willing to risk higher death rates of their accident victims to keep the planet cooler. That’s a choice, I suppose… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yesterday I finished a driving trip of about 3500 kms through rural USA: Washington State, California, Nevada and Idaho.

Gas prices were the equivalent of about 70 cents a litre, and about 99% of the vehicles I saw were pickup trucks or other SUV varieties. Same goes for the Seattle area.

Supply needs to meet demand and, in the world's largest marketplace (USA), demand is clearly on the side of trucks.

Which makes sense to me. In NA we have big roads and big distances. And if we can afford capability mixed with some creature comforts, why not ?

We need to stop looking at Europe and elsewhere like they are guiding lights. Europe is a mess and should be emulated by no one.

Yup. And many EVers/Teslars are driving Model Ys which are as heavy as an F-150 Super Cab.

My thrifty small-SUV is less murderous than any Tesla model, tows a 4000# trailer and can drive 1000km towing that trailer without recharging.

I suppose heavy Tesla drivers are willing to risk higher death rates of their accident victims to keep the planet cooler. That’s a choice, I suppose… 🤷🏻‍♂️
I find the weight argument a bit of a red herring, given the number pickup and large SUV's on the road. 90% of my issue with EV's is having them forced down our throats. Meanwhile I have predicted the long term challenge for EV. Particularly older ones will be insurance.

I own a 1 ton truck (bought for work) hard to have a slip tank, crew gear, tools and tow a 10,000lb trailer running a Tesla. Plus drive in the mud.
I own a Jeep because it is a fun little machine to drive around in. Plus it goes off road pretty good to get me to my hunting sites.
I own a motorcycle because why not. My quad well it works when it wants to. Girlfriend has a small fuel efficient car unless I drive the thing. It is good for long trips, but cant carry much gear. For example a couple weeks clothes for two people, a couple coolers for fish caught a gun or two for hunting season and it is a very tight fit. I like my truck for those trips. Plus it is hard to bring along the truck camper on top of the car.

We can probably get by with something like a CX-30 or CX-5/50, but spent a little extra for a full-sized SUV for the extra space and higher driving postition, plus you feel like you’re driving a tank. Running costs are irrelevant, I do my own work and extra gas costs are inconsequential. I’m not changing my habits when we there are so many other things we can cut that would make a much bigger difference - like private jets and Ocean cruises.
I made the mistake of downsizing to save fuel, and went too far down.

I went from a Frontier to a Kona, and while I saved a lot on gas, I lost almost all utility. That's one of the things the eco-downsizers don't like to talk about. When I was doing road trips with a girlfriend, there wasn't enough room for both of us to put our bags behind the back seat, so the back seat had to hold bags. When going camping, I need to fold down the back seat just to fit the cooler and other gear.

That works for one or two people, but as soon as you add a third person it's useless.

There is also the reality, that despite being significantly more fuel efficient than my old Frontier, a small car/SUV isn't really that much more fuel efficient than mid-sized SUVs, which aren't much more efficient than a large SUVs. My parents went from a Rogue to a Murano, and noticed a very small change in fuel efficiency.

It’s kind of curious that many smaller trucks like the Ranger or Colorado have worse fuel mileage than some full size F150s and Silverado 1500s. I mean, isn’t the advantage of a smaller truck supposed to be utility with fuel mileage?

It’s kind of curious that many smaller trucks like the Ranger or Colorado have worse fuel mileage than some full size F150s and Silverado 1500s. I mean, isn’t the advantage of a smaller truck supposed to be utility with fuel mileage?
I think most mid-size truck buyers get them for the size, more than the fuel economy. I know when I went from a Ram 1500 to a Frontier it was about size. The Frontier was much easier to get around in a city with than the larger truck.

Back