• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EV's, Gas/Oil, and The Future- another swerve split from- JT Hints Boosting Canada’s Military Spending

But Africa is all mud huts and will never drive EVs....

There are around 100,000 EVs in Ethiopia so far.

The Ethiopian government estimates that number will more than quadruple by 2032. That’s largely because the national government took the extraordinary step earlier this year of banning the import of all gas-powered passenger vehicles — becoming the first nation in the world to do so.

It also effectively slashed the customs tax on imported cars: The tax on gas vehicles was up to 200% before they were banned, while the import tax for fully assembled EVs is just 15%, according to the country’s finance ministry.

It’s part of a government-led effort to get more EVs on the streets.

And most importantly why they are doing this:

Ethiopia is leaning hard into EVs in part because importing fuel is expensive, and 96% of the country’s electricity comes from clean hydropower – a dual win for the country’s finances and the environment.

Source: Ethiopia banned gas-powered car imports. Now EV growth is spiking | CNN

Exactly as I said. Imported fuels are a liability. And every country that can reduce imports will.

Noticed you didn't bring up the financial incentive the Govt forced upon their people to make it happen.

You seem to have a burning desire to prove your superiority , not that you're necessarily wrong, but you are easy to tune out.

Noticed you didn't bring up the financial incentive the Govt forced upon their people to make it happen.

Given that I quoted it out of the article, how exactly did I "not bring it up"?

You seem to have a burning desire to prove your superiority , not that you're necessarily wrong, but you are easy to tune out.

What I have a desire to do is counter the prevailing narrative here. In this case, the ridiculous idea that because everybody lives in mud huts in Africa (as seen on deployment) that nobody there will ever drive EVs. I pointed out that there was an economic rationale for governments to push EVs to reduce expensive imported energy. There's nothing forcing you to read my posts. Though clearly it got under your skin enough to respond.

and where pray tell will all these happy campers find electrical outlets for their cars. In much of Africa they are still making charcoal to use as a heat and cooking source because there is no power to their homes. Sorry, no power to their street. Sorry again, no power, except for a diesel powered generator that is operating only during limited hours for their entire village. Also, with a gross income of less than a few dollars a day, even a 10000 dollar vehicle is beyond their reach. As for the Chinese price, it will be like their bank loans for development: great rates until they have to committed and then they will foreclose.
I dont know why anyone would make charcoal for cooking when one can use a solar oven. I have two and they work very well. Its very strange the choices we make sometime

Back