• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

Gascan13 said:
U seem like have something against Lebs so cough it up and get over it yourself. Thank you.

Are you serious? NOBODY CARES (except you) that you are from Lebanon.

This is exactly what I meant when I said 'if you look for it you will find it'. In no way did CDN_Aviator's remarks seem at all discriminatory based on ethnic background.

He simply said it is a non-issue, and for you to stop making it one.

Gascan13 said:
I appreciate your opinion but please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not saying that Canadians themselves think that way, but the government does. By being of Arab decent ur subjected immediately to tighter security checks wherever u go so please understand where I'm coming from. It's the unfortunate reality and I'm not even remotely trying to have the spotlight on me, hek the farther it is the better. I don't want to be steryotyped as Arab=desert=camels=possible links to Al qaeda= need to make even tighter security checks than the average Canadian... I'm not saying your average Canadian is like that, Canadians are far more aware of what's going on around the world than your average American for example :p I'm saying that as an officer in the Canadian military u would have access to sensitive information so if they see that you're Lebanese or Leb as Canadians like to say =Arab= possible ties to Hizballah= possible intention to infiltrate Canadian forces and leak sensitive info... that would make the whole security process a whole lot longer. I don't blame them for they have every right to make sure that it's safe to admitt that person... And why the hostility just asking, jeez! why u makin such a big deal out of it...

Honestly? I was born in China, immigrated to Canada, my mother still lives in China right now. When I applied to the CF, it really wasn't much of an issue with them, I just had to fill out another form. It was easier for me since I'm still a teenager and didn't really have much in the way of employment. The checks did take a few months, since cooperating with the Canadian authorities probably isn't on the list of priorities for the Chinese officials. But it was done, and there's no problems with that.

To echo what everyone else has said, it isn't really that big of a deal, if you want to be an officer, get used to doing paperwork anyway. As well, run on sentences and using of "u" and "ur" instead of "you" and "your/you're" doesn't really reflect well on someone who want to be an officer.

Just my  :2c:

What you don't understand is that you are not going through tougher security checks because your Arab. If you were from Russia or Japan etc. you would still have to fill out the longer forms. It is not a racist policy. It is based on the FACT you were born in a different country not that that country is in the Middle East etc. The only person who is stereotyping right now is you. The Forces welcomes people of all sorts of backgrounds, religions, and cultures. The sooner you get this concept into your head the sooner you will actually be able to move forward. Don't claim discrimination where there is none, you're the one who needs to get over themselves.

Nobody else cares about your race or religion except you. If you go looking for people who do, you will probably find it, but if you show up with the attitude that it doesn't matter and are even willing to poke fun at yourself, you will go far.

As for the paperwork, just do it and hand it in, it will take as long as it needs to take, but unless you were a member of Young Al-Qaeda Beirut Branch, or are wanted for numerous murders, your background check, which may take a while, will come back ok and you'll carry on in the process.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I already know that the Canadian forces is very diverse. I wasn't asking whether people of different ethnic backgrounds are admitted or not, just asking about whether it's worth the long wait. Everyone seems to have taken it personal... And btw u just contradicted yourself, u just stereotyped being Arab as ....by your last sentence about Al qaeda...hehe nothing wrong with that, u have every right to ask that question :) but see what I mean by subconscious preemptive steryotyping... :p

Dimsum said:
OP:  Look up Trooper Marc Diab.  That should answer at least some of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Diab

Thanks I will :)

"just asking about whether it's worth the long wait"
Your asking whether it is worth joining the forces because of one background check? If so than this is not the place for you. If that is all it takes to question whether you should be in the forces or not you shouldn't be.

Spectrum said:
If you are too lazy to fill out the simple paperwork, please do not become an officer.

Please do not judge without knowing the reason why I have a few takes on the security process... It's not that I'm lazy just that it's hard to list accurately what they want when you're living in a third world country where addresses aren't as neet and tidy as in Canada... Please I was a former med student and ur saying I'm lazy, it's like an insult to me. Please next time don't judge a person off the top of your head like a child, especially if you haven't even met the person. Would you like it if I told you that judging by your post you'd look like an underage person with no sense of wisdom what so ever, I guess not...Please respect is key to being a disciplined member of the CF, and I'm afraid that you lack that quality...

Locked.
Let us know how things turn out for you.
Good luck.

Hello, I am currently an OCdt at RMC and my trade is pilot. I have dual citizenship with the United States. I was told by a Captain flying CF-18's, who came by RMC for a visit, that in order to fly fighters, pilots undergo a security clearance above Top-Secret. He also told me that with dual citizenship I would not be able to obtain said clearance.

From my reading on this forum, it seems that people have been able to get Top-Secret clearances with dual-citizenship so I don't anticipate any problems getting to that level. Is it true that if you get slotted jets you need to obtain a clearance above top-secret and would dual-citizenship with the United States prevent this from being obtained?

I know this is all hypothetical but if my dual-citizenship limits my career opportunities  I would like to relinquish it before any snags occur. Any information is much appreciated.

I know what the Capt is talking about. Not trying to sound overly dramatic, but your question is best posed to your chain of command. I know your question seems harmless enough, and I understand your desire to know whether your dual citizenship will be problematic for your chosen MOC, but I don't think security clearance matters should be discussed in public fora regardless of how mundane the issue may seem. My opinion.

There is nothing classified/protected about security clearance levels.  There is no clearance above Top Secret, but you can be further cleared for comparmentalized access (special access). (TS SA). CSIS does the TS clearance and DND does the SA.

Most, if not all Hornet drivers have that level of access, but it is possible to do your day-to-day job, with a Secret Clearance.  You just won't be exposed to some programs.

You can get TS and SA with 2 citizenships.

I think there was a good, informative thread from a while back about security clearances.

SupersonicMax said:
I think there was a good, informative thread from a while back about security clearances.

I think this might be the thread you are referring to
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88471.0

But the last thing we would want is for the young lad to fly off to the greener pastures south with one of our Hornets, and all of that advanced technology that the US has been dying to get their hands on. >:D

Having dual Canadian / US citizen citizenship will not be a barrier with a security clearance - and that's speaking from my experience of going through that exact situation. 

Only weirdness that may occur is if you get posted to the US, in which case you'll be in the country under your US passport instead of a Visa. 

BTW - you mentioned the possibility of renouncing your US citizenship.  FYI, I hope you're filing your yearly FBAR and 1040 tax return with a F8833 declaration under Article XIX of the USA-Canada Tax Convention.  If you try and renounce US citizen and you haven't been filing taxes, it will probably get ugly.

cupper said:
But the last thing we would want is for the young lad to fly off to the greener pastures south with one of our Hornets, and all of that advanced technology that the US has been dying to get their hands on. >:D

The Tim Mug holder?    :)

I can tell you first hand that being a naturalized Canadian with dual* citizenship had no impact on my holding an SA clearance.

* in my case legally a citizen of 3 domains

So this Captain flies into RMC and starts dropping disinformation bombs? Nice of him.

Back