• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

drinking and the infantry

• Thread starter Thread starter bled12345
  • Start date Start date
I have to say there was quite a bit of drinking here in the shacks over the winter time. it's calmed down a bit due to boys being deployed, leaves, courses, taskings, and sports.
I got voluntold to organize a kegger for this leave block coming up. I might do just that actually.
me personally? I never was a drinker till I joined full time in the army. after that? ho man, after getting to battalion for a good six months there there wasn't at least four times out of the week that I was drunk at night, I won't lie. after a while it got to every night I was drinking (to wind down the day, not to get liqoured mind you). and then I went home in the begining of april to attend a funeral, and everyone saw how much I was drinking, yet still being relatively sober. so they (my friends back home) asked me to cut down on the drinking, which I have.
really I've noticed around here there's phases of drinking amongst the juniour ranks in this battalion. but almost every thursday and friday night boys are out for hotel delta night at shots, and going to the wharehouse or yogi's on friday night.
the rugby team has started their social club. so you petawawa guys that like rugby (even to just watch) come to the 1 RCR games, we've always got songs to sing and beer to drink after games at yogi's!
it's really just part of the lifestyle as an infanteer to me, always has been. heck my old room mate has never drank in his life, just his morals. there's actually quite a few guys in the unit that are like that, and they're always willing to be our DD's (so we get them water or coke when they ask, at least I do).
but that's enough ramblings from this private I suppose.
Greg

Oh man, this is so NOT the board for me to be posting on...   I no longer drink much, other than a glass of port for the toasts at a WSM Mess dinner, and .5 beer.

I am, however, one of the reasons Freddy Heineken died a millionaire.

Making my fourth jump from a German C160 Transall sh-tfaced was just an average day in my thirties.

The fact I am still alive is proof that God smiles on drunks and idiots, which meant double protection in my case.

Now, I sign for the WSM and secure it after the drinkers have left.   I give imbibers rides so they don't drink and drive.   A lot of people tried to help me when I was gooned, now it's my shift.

At 50, I no longer feel the urge to mix a bottle of Ouzo, a bottle of Jagermeister, and six bottles of Kakabeka Cream Lager in a log cabin at -40.

Experimenting with a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 while on Mefloquine is no longer appealing, either.

Wes: If it was the Summer of 1976 you spent in Dundurn, then I was commuting to the Tamarack Room in the Saskatoon Holiday Inn, where our usual table was the 'Pong' game stacked with Heineken.   The 1973 Mazda RX2 that passed you going 105MPH back to Dundurn was probably me.

I'm glad I'm done with all that.

Tom

If you want to save money but go drinking at the same time, here is an option.

1) dont buy drinks for girls you see
2) get a girl to buy you a drink at the bar. Very easy to do if you got game with chicks. >:D

Serious chronics don't spend money buying girls booze.   They spend money buying themselves booze.

Tom

lol its all about predrinking and showing up at the bar already gooned =)

SeanPaul_031 said:
If you want to save money but go drinking at the same time, here is an option.

1) dont buy drinks for girls you see
2) get a girl to buy you a drink at the bar. Very easy to do if you got game with chicks. >:D

This is the best advice ever when it comes to not spending money at the bar. I am one of those girls who back in the day went to the bar with 20 bucks drank all night and still had twenty in my pocket when i came home. It's a great perk to living near an army base. Make the guys think they are gonna take you home, get them to buy drinks and then get lost in the crowd before closing time. It actually became like a game for me and my friends, to see how drunk we could get without sepnding money. It kind of sounds evil but we never asked them to buy us drinks, they just wanted to score and we conveniently forgot to tell them that we prefered going home alone at night hehe.

camochick said:
This is the best advice ever when it comes to not spending money at the bar. I am one of those girls who back in the day went to the bar with 20 bucks drank all night and still had twenty in my pocket when i came home.

What are you talking about..."back in the day"........

Hey, i paid for our first date hehe. Yeah so ok i still get free drinks, but i dont ask for them it just happens hehe. Damn i love being a woman.

god damn I hate bar stars.... If I could ***********************************

Mod edit for innapropriate and sexist comments

WIND IT IN!

Slim
STAFF

I havent been a bar star in a long time, i'm too old for that now. But i always warn my young guy friends about girls at bars, most of them just want free drinks and at the end of the night will pull the "Oh i dont go home with guys i just met" stuff. I know all the tricks women use, i could write a book hehe.

This is from some one who should be in a sleazy bar in Budapest like Captain Jacks... What are they called again? Oh ya, a Whiskey Dolly!  But we just called them by their proper names...  See if you can figure that one out.  It starts with a "W"   
This is the best advice ever when it comes to not spending money at the bar. I am one of those girls who back in the day went to the bar with 20 bucks drank all night and still had twenty in my pocket when I came home. It's a great perk to living near an army base. Make the guys think they are gonna take you home, get them to buy drinks and then get lost in the crowd before closing time. It actually became like a game for me and my friends, to see how drunk we could get without sepnding money. It kind of sounds evil but we never asked them to buy us drinks, they just wanted to score and we conveniently forgot to tell them that we prefered going home alone at night hehe.
  Now tell me again why so many troops respect women again?  Can you hear the sarcasm, I can.

"darn i love being a woman."

- Judging by your picture, I guess those days are over.  You look like an old boot to me.

Tom

TCBF said:
"darn i love being a woman."

- Judging by your picture, I guess those days are over.   You look like an old boot to me.

Tom

Thats my boot........it was dirty but not that old

"Dirty, but not that old..."  That reminds me of a story (FULL STOP SUM UP).

Well, I guess I won't be telling that one.  I won't ask why she has a picture of YOUR boot.

24, 24,  ....hmmmnn.... I was a Cpl in 8 CH in Cyprus in 1978 when I turned 24.

Tom

TCBF said:
Wes: If it was the Summer of 1976 you spent in Dundurn, then I was commuting to the Tamarack Room in the Saskatoon Holiday Inn, where our usual table was the 'Pong' game stacked with Heineken.   The 1973 Mazda RX2 that passed you going 105MPH back to Dundurn was probably me.

I'm glad I'm done with all that.

Tom

Me too, Mate, and I cut back (not that it was that bad to begin with) actually after I was promoted to MCPL (responsibility with rank and all   :P ) back in the 1980s. No at 45, I just sit back, take it easy, having my ports at Mess Dinners, enjoying an imported Canadian cold Kokanee, or Castlemain XXXX after a long day. Mind you I probably still have the occasional quarterly piss up with friends, but nothing like the old days. I hate hangovers too much.

Drinking seems to be a military culture even here, but the messes are dead now, as that culture has changed from the old days when we used to almost live in the mess.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,

When I was a young soldier and then a young officer, there was a lot of boozing going on all through the forvces and it was endemic until the 1980s at least. In fact, the last CGS of the Canadian Army before unification in 1965 made a drunken *ss out of himself on numerous occasions.

On the other hand, there were some advantages. In the bad old days we never were sure if some of the decisions were made because the grown ups were stupid or just sh*t faced. Nowdays there can be no doubt.

I concur with Dragnet ref the whiskey dolly analogy IRT camochicks comments. But as it takes two to tango, for every whore there is a john ready to shell out the bucks (I have paid for womens drinks, but never sex.... although now that I think about it, it's the same difference........)

Al

Camochick,
Don't blame ya a bit,...I used to howl at the losers who thought they could wallet thier way into someones pants.....

But for every camochick stumbling home there was some shack rat stumbling up and down the halls willing to do almost anything for a ride home...

....and four guys on antibiotics 5-7 days later  >:D

Back