• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Even without the creepiness, the rental market is clearly off the rails when someone posts this ad in Kanata.

$1950/month for a room in a house

I don't know about the "creepiness", but I don't see much difference in some of these ads offering a "room" with ads in newspaper classifieds (ya know, those things that were made of paper that you bought every day that had hundreds of tiny little advertisements near the back) that I remember seeing decades ago offering rooms or shared accommodation in houses or apartments. Some (a lot?) were pretty sketchy - the ads as well as the rooms.

I don't know how common it was to rent a room (sharing toilet and/or kitchen) with a stranger, but I know a few who did. I suppose most of the single soldiers of the 60s and 70s made the first move out of barracks onto the economy by sharing with other soldiers. That's what I did. Civilians likely would not the same opportunity to know fellows that they had already lived with. The house that three of us rented in Calgary shortly after I came back from Egypt became for years afterward a rotation of medics making the same move. The three of us originals (two cpls, one pte) were not particularly buddies, our shared interest was getting out of the shacks. Our crap pay at the time would have made renting an apartment solo a bit tight.

I don't know about the "creepiness", but I don't see much difference in some of these ads offering a "room" with ads in newspaper classifieds (ya know, those things that were made of paper that you bought every day that had hundreds of tiny little advertisements near the back) that I remember seeing decades ago offering rooms or shared accommodation in houses or apartments. Some (a lot?) were pretty sketchy - the ads as well as the rooms.

I don't know how common it was to rent a room (sharing toilet and/or kitchen) with a stranger, but I know a few who did. I suppose most of the single soldiers of the 60s and 70s made the first move out of barracks onto the economy by sharing with other soldiers. That's what I did. Civilians likely would not the same opportunity to know fellows that they had already lived with. The house that three of us rented in Calgary shortly after I came back from Egypt became for years afterward a rotation of medics making the same move. The three of us originals (two cpls, one pte) were not particularly buddies, our shared interest was getting out of the shacks. Our crap pay at the time would have made renting an apartment solo a bit tight.
The creepiness comes from the fact a couple of the ads posted in this thread were dudes looking for women to share a bed/room.

My post was to highlight that things are so crazy right now that a guy feels comfortable asking nearly $2K a month to rent a room... Apartments cost less than that.

There is nothing inherently creepy about having a roommate, though finding a random stranger to live with you online is a bit strange. It was strange even back when people did it via the classifieds.

Chinese diaspora part of massive Canadian mortgage fraud?

I read that too. Well worth the read. In short, there appears to be a massive amount of mortgage fraud showing borrowers from China with wildly exaggerated incomes. The bank in question appeared to either be in on it or turned a blind eye to it.

I read that too. Well worth the read. In short, there appears to be a massive amount of mortgage fraud showing borrowers from China with wildly exaggerated incomes. The bank in question appeared to either be in on it or turned a blind eye to it.
We actually spoke with HSBC during our previous mortgage renewal and there just felt like something was off..,this doesn’t surprise me. I know other banks were affected, but it seems almost like for HSBC, this is the actual mission, rather than make money the way other banks do….but as an agent of the state.

Feb 5, 2024

James Bezan: Last week, Defence Minister Bill Blair lied to Canadians when he said the reports of our brave men and women experiencing homelessness were false. But, the Defence Ombudsman confirmed at committee that the Minister is wrong. Minister Blair needs to open his eyes to the real issues faced by our brave heroes.

CF Ombudsman.

Defence Ombudsman confirms Minister misled Parliament

Last edited:
We actually spoke with HSBC during our previous mortgage renewal and there just felt like something was off..,this doesn’t surprise me. I know other banks were affected, but it seems almost like for HSBC, this is the actual mission, rather than make money the way other banks do….but as an agent of the state.
considering it is largely owned by the chinese it really isn't surprising that they would use it to bring funds into this country. Will be interesting to see what happens when RBC assumes control. Will RBC be dominated by HSBC accounting practices or will HSBC be brought into line.

Saying he lied implies he knew what he was saying was untrue. I would argue that he parroted the information given to him by CDS, who passed on the information that was collected. The fault lies in how that information was collected. I have heard, but cannot verify, that the question of how many CAF members were without a permanent residence was answered by collecting data in two ways:
1) MM search to determine if anyone's file came up without an address in the personal information tab;
2) Leadership at units asking that anyone without a permanent residence to identify the fact to their supervisors.

The results of both these data collection methods apparently both came up with zero individuals being homeless.

Saying he lied implies he knew what he was saying was untrue. I would argue that he parroted the information given to him by CDS, who passed on the information that was collected. The fault lies in how that information was collected. I have heard, but cannot verify, that the question of how many CAF members were without a permanent residence was answered by collecting data in two ways:
1) MM search to determine if anyone's file came up without an address in the personal information tab;
2) Leadership at units asking that anyone without a permanent residence to identify the fact to their supervisors.

The results of both these data collection methods apparently both came up with zero individuals being homeless.
I suspect you might be right about Blair. However, he has zero credibility. Almost every portfolio he's had, contains incidents of him stretching the truth or just flat out lying. Fool me once.........

I know this is a joke, but the sad reality is we do punish those who come forward with problems. Then we act surprised when people hide problems until things fall apart.
Part of the organizational mentality - but it varies in the CAF.

For all my RCAF jokes, I do believe their flight safety culture is something that needs to be emulated across the board - identify issues before they become problems, and strive to fix problems, not fix blame.

The RCN and Army are more fixated on finding someone to blame (preferably as low a rank as is possible).

Bill Blair is an incompetent who should have stayed as a beat cop on Yonge Street.

Politics aside, Chief of the largest municipal police force in Canada is hardly a "beat cop".

Again, he should have stayed a beat cop.

Figured that would be the inevitable political response.

Which is why was I was careful to say, "politics aside".

He served as President of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, elected by his peers in policing.

Figured that would be the inevitable political response.

Which is why was I was careful to say, "politics aside".

He served as President of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, elected by his peers in policing.
How many times have we seen people promoted beyond what they should have been? He is but one and Harjit Singh is another.

Ahhh, so the Minister ISN’T responsible for his portfolio then?

“it was one of my subordinates that made a mistake. It’s not my fault!”

Totally ‘on-brand’ for this Government. It was the speaker’s fault an ex-SS Nazi was invited to and honored by the House of Commons, not the PM as leader of the Government.

LPC Playbook - #37:
1707421510713.gif

Back