• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Canada cost of housing (and everything, it seems) causing a ā€˜de-immigrationā€™ effect.

For several years I've seen YouTube videos warning hopefuls that Canada is far more expensive than people expect, so the latest cost increases are likely killing any hope of getting ahead.

For several years I've seen YouTube videos warning hopefuls that Canada is far more expensive than people expect, so the latest cost increases are likely killing any hope of getting ahead.
Probably why so many are crossing the US northern border to get out of here. Hard to compete with taxpayer funded phones and credit cards.

He served as President of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, elected by his peers in policing.

Seeing as it's:
  • an Association
  • of Chiefs of Police

Who else would elect the President?

Seeing as it's:
  • an Association
  • of Chiefs of Police

Who else would elect the President?

I typed "elected by his peers in policing."

one that is of equal standing with another

especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

I understand that to mean, "equal rank".

Respectfully, I think the answer to your question is in your reply.

All three Chiefs of Emergency Services in our town "advanced through the ranks".

Guess that makes all three politicians, to some readers.

Maybe they walked the mayor's dog. How would I know?

Unlike our Mayor, we didnt vote for them. But, we were loyal to them. Even now.

Learned a lesson as probie. "Never, EVER, admit the Department has done anything wrong."

I understood that to include Metro Police.
<David Attenborough voice>

Here we see the root cause of much of the political and cultural issues that dominate society today. Unwavering loyalty to the tribe, combined with rich rewards for those who play along with the game.

The male who has been richly rewarded for complying with their masters continuously re-asserts loyalty, to ensure the benefits continue to roll in..

<end David Attenborough voice>

Unwavering loyalty to the tribe, combined with rich rewards for those who play along with the game.

Morgan Freeman voice, "Hate the game. Not the players."

We were not blind to faults within the tribe. But, the internet was not available back then for our dirty laundry.

Now that it is, old-fashioned habits are hard to break.

Our town has had many police chiefs.

Could it be that some people seem obsessed with him because he went into federal politics?

Could it be that some people seem obsessed with him because he went into federal politics?
Canā€™t speak for others, but even without the Internet, my high school buds who moved on to TPS (and several who left TPS to Peel/York/Durham) knew Blair to be a self-interested Chief who rather blatantly supported sycophants and making life disagreeable for many of the rank and fileā€¦all of this well before his entrance into Federal politics.

Clearly to each their own experiences.

If you can think of a better word,

Sure lets just take a look at the topics I brought Blair up in in your query.
  • Cabinet shuffle
  • Liberal Minority government
  • Freedom convoy protests
  • Active shooter in NS
  • Gun control debate
  • Deeply fractured US (discussing gun control)
  • G8/G20 protest
Blair features prominently in all those discussions, doesn't he? It seems reasonable to bring up the Public Safety Minister when discussing gun new control he's pushing, for example.

What you don't see in your query is me bringing Blair up every chance I get, in completely unrelated topics and discussions, when no one is talking about him. That would be obsessed.

Politics aside, is there anything specific to Chief Blair's career with Toronto Police Services - not politics - that you have a probelm with?

Canā€™t speak for others, but even without the Internet, my high school buds who moved on to TPS (and several who left TPS to Peel/York/Durham) knew Blair to be a self-interested Chief who rather blatantly supported sycophants and making life disagreeable for many of the rank and fileā€¦all of this well before his entrance into Federal politics.

Clearly to each their own experiences.

What did your high school buds have to say about the others?

So I have no concerns about the accuracy of my friendsā€™ takes on Metro/TPS Chiefsā€¦

Chief Boothby stayed out of politics.

I would say ā€œout of most politics,ā€ but he did not shy away from engaging political masters to ensure that all members of the Force were treated respectfully, in a manner that was respected by all of the sub-groups of the Force.

Morgan Freeman voice, "Hate the game. Not the players."

We were not blind to faults within the tribe. But, the internet was not available back then for our dirty laundry.

Now that it is, old-fashioned habits are hard to break.

People hated him well before he got directly involved in Federal politics. I personally disliked him when he would open his mouth about things he honestly has no business speaking of in a official capacity before he went into politics (firearms banning specifically was my key friction point as he would ignore facts and push narratives that harm law abiding Canadians).

So I have no concerns about the accuracy of my friendsā€™ takes on Metro/TPS Chiefsā€¦

How did your friends rank / rate the other Metro / TPS Chiefs...

That's sort of like saying hate terrorism, not terrorists.

Quite a jump from favorite / not favorite Toronto police chiefs to terrorists.

People hated him well before he got directly involved in Federal politics.

I served under Chiefs of Metro's Department of Emergency Services.

We were not blind to faults. But, to members of the public, always speak well of them, and the organization they represented.

Call that a misguided sense of loyalty , if wish. I personally don't GAF .

How did your friends rank / rate the other Metro / TPS Chiefs...
Iā€™ll ask them next time we get together, but Iā€™m confident their answers will also be insightful Gen-Xer-like straight-up takes on Blair, Fantino and Boothby - none of them are ā€œwe just did our job and kept our head down, and did whatever the trusted big boss told us to doā€ types.

Back