• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conservatism needs work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thucydides said:
The Spartans lost

Here is something to add to the toolkit when answering the "Progressives" on the topic of "Social Justice"

So you're as ignorant of history as you are of politics, and basically everything else, eh? Not shocking. I was reading this weekend about the interesting fact that numerous studies have consistently shown that Fox News viewers are the most misinformed people – significantly they've been shown to be more ignorant of reality than people who don't watch news at all. If you actually knew your history, you'd know that after that exchange with the Spartans, Philip never attempted to take the city. Neither did Alexander, for much the same reason - it was easier to conquer elsewhere. It was eventually forced to join the Hellenic League, but maintained a defiant degree of independence.

I guess there's not really any hope for you, though. I've noted that you lack much ability to actually engage in any sort of discussion, other than posting nonsense from a variety of blogs which lack any real credibility. So now that you've embarrassed yourself, I think I shan't bother with you further.

Just for anyone interested, here's one of many recaps of all of the studies on Fox viewers. It's interesting (and sad) how consistent the outcomes of the studies are. There's many others, and the source documents are pretty easy to find, and pretty much irrefutable. The only challenge ow is how to fix the poisonous effect of that reality.

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/11/22/374434/fox-news-viewers-misinformed-study-jon-stewart/

Let's cool the Internet chest thumping in a politics thread please.

Actually, since all his responses are ad hominem attacks rather than responses to ideas or propositions, I'm content to simply let it slide and keep the set on "ignore".

VDH on why taxes should not be increased (besides the standard economic reasons):

http://pjmedia.com/victordavishanson/why-not-pay-higher-taxes/?singlepage=true

Why Not Pay Higher Taxes?
November 26, 2011 - 3:22 pm - by Victor Davis Hanson

The usual liberal complaint against the conservative opposition to higher income taxes is greed and the better-offs’ self-serving reluctance to pay their “fair share.” But while perhaps true in some instances, I don’t think that is an accurate writ against most of those in that now demonized $200,000 and above categories who resent forking over more. Rather, here are a random 12 complaints that I hear from those who become furious about preposed higher income tax rates:

1) The Entire Bite

The most common lament is that taxes are already too high for those who either chose not, or do not have the resources, to find loopholes. I know that pre-Reagan top-bracket rates were often between 70%-94%; but few paid at those rates given the myriad of former deductions. At first glance, 33-35% federal top rates do not seem that steep; but income taxes do not fall in isolation. Many of the higher-income payers are small business people and self-employed professionals, who pay 15.3% in FICA and Medicare taxes on a sizable and growing portion of their income. And that portion and the rate itself always go up, never down. In 2013 a surcharge will hit those in the now near “criminal” $200,000 and above brackets. Many of the top incomes (believe Sen. Schumer, not me) fall in high-tax states like New York and California, where state income taxes can hit 10%. Add in property taxes on homes and businesses, and it is not hard to envision a theoretical 50% + rate, or over half one’s income. So, the conservative asks, at what total rate would local, state, and federal governments be happy — 60%-70%-80% of annual income?

2) Inequality?

Liberals reply that income inequality is worse than ever. (Note here in their own lives they have no problem with other “merit”-based inequality: e.g., Why can’t Johnny Depp turn down a couple of roles so other less fortunate actors could star? Why doesn’t Cornel West at last break up his endowed mega-salaried professorship into three or four lectureships for the struggling part-timers? Why doesn’t Maureen Dowd go down to one column every other week to allow less compensated New York Times op-ed writers a chance to catch up? In other words, why not back off from the trough and let others have a go?) But back to income inequality: some of those figures are not just attributable to the proliferation of $200,000 orthodontists, but to factoring in the mega-fortunes of a Johnny Depp ($50 million last year in income alone) or a Warren Buffett. The onset of a globalized market allowed a new top bracket to make tens of millions of dollars, a world away from the lesser professional. There is no aggregate homogenous group of “the wealthy.” My big-farming near neighbor (500 acres in vineyard plus), who probably nets $300,000 on a rare good raisin year like this one, is a world away from the late Steve Jobs or the thousands of million-dollar-plus incomes in Silicon Valley. This incongruence is not a rhetorical point or special pleading, but evident through the president’s own rhetoric: “Millionaires and billionaires” is a deliberate attempt to weld two disparate groups together — one making 1000 times the other (if the president is talking of annual income), or one worth 1000 times more than the other (if the president is talking about net worth). But is the Menlo Park bungalow owner who teaches at Foothill College and might be “worth” $1 million (given housing inflation) really comparable to Meg Whitman? Mr. Obama knows that there is not enough of the 1% of the 1% to come up with enough revenue to cover his new $4 trillion in debt, but does he think that by going after the top 5% or 10%, well, there just may be?

3) Wise Spending?

Then there is the manner in which the collected money is spent. It is not true to say Great Society programs have not helped millions, but it is legitimate to ask “at what cost?” came the expansion from a safety net to a sort of guaranteed livelihood. The spread of food stamps to almost 50 million recipients, the increase in unemployment to 99 weeks, the plethora of housing, health, and education supplements — all that creates not just necessary charity, but a mechanism for millions to find an alternative lifestyle, where subsidies, occasional cash, off-the-books work, and “other” activities can supplant work. Mindless “Black Friday” splurging is not just done by the well-off. Once legitimate questions have simply became taboo: “Do you make enough to support that additional child? Do you really think you needed to buy that flat-screen TV? Do you avoid alcohol and drugs?” To inquire like that is to earn liberal invective, but not to is intellectually dishonest. The number of generally fit men my age (e.g., 58) in my small community that, I know personally, are not employed full-time, and have not been so for years, is in the dozens. They are not starving. Obesity is the plague, not malnutrition, as the first lady understood.

4) Always More Spending?

Generally as revenues increased, spending on social programs and entitlements far outpaced them. We have almost doubled federal spending since 2000. Deficits widened despite (until the recent recession) constant annual gains in revenue. In the conservative mind, the higher the taxes, the more likely it is that millions will disconnect from the private sector and dream up ways of spending hundreds of billions on entitlements and billions on those who administer them. Whether the top rate is 35% or 50%, the deficits will probably be the same, given trends in spending. (Yes, I know a Republican Congress forced the Clinton administration to accept spending caps in exchange for higher taxes; but try that now [e.g. back to the Clinton tax rates and freeze spending at 2011 levels] and the deficit is still there.)

5) Less Efficiency?

Conservatives believe that they can spend their own earned money more efficiently than can unneeded (note that I say “unneeded,” because in every budget crisis, government threatens layoffs in fire and police first to scare the public into maintaining all sorts of social service agencies) state departments, whose employees are not subject to market forces and view yearly funded budgets as sacrosanct rather than predicated on a good peach crop, a fickle oil well, or uncertain demand for a vacuum cleaner. Millions of conniving minds figuring out the best way to save money and maximize profit have an efficiency that a monolithic centrally planning government octopus simply does not. Bigger government and higher taxes, whether in Greece or California, are not a prescription for economic growth that can best get us out of this deficit cycle.

6) Inequality by Income?

Not all conservatives believe “inequality” is definable by income alone. Does the chiropractor who makes $150,000 and sends his kid to Santa Clara University ($50,000 per year) on his own dime do all that much better than the DMV supervisor who makes $60,000 and has his child eligible for state and federal college grants? To the conservative, most (not all, to be sure) subsidies and breaks for college, housing, medical care, occasion debt relief, etc., are income adjusted and go to the lower and lower-middle classes. The subsidized housing tract 2 miles away from my farm has houses (ca. 1800 sq. feet) that are as nice or nicer than those in the old section of Palo Alto where I have 600 sq. ft. studio apartment. I imagine that the Selma counterparts also have an array of subsidies not extended to the upper-middle classes in Silicon Valley who are paying $1 million for an older and much smaller home. Income is not the only benchmark of poverty or wealth.

7) Psychological

Conservatives are also tired of being demonized. One “pay your fair share” is OK; dozens of “millionaires and billionaires” and other class warfare rhetoric become tiring. Psychologically, the top-bracket earner is now resigned to something like this: “The more I pay the more ‘they’ hate me, so why pay any more if the slurs will be the same either way?” Does anyone believe that should Obama get his new tax hikes, he will cease the class-warfare demagoguing as in, “Thanks to that noble 5% we finally balanced the budget”? (As opposed to, “Now that we have that problem of income tax hikes temporarily out of the way, we can go after….”)

8) Sic Transit Gloria

Income is not static. Most go in and out of top brackets, especially in non-salaried business. Many of the top earners tat I know are not salaried and were not making what they are now at 40 and won’t be at 65. They view their 50s as a brief window to store enough nuts for winter — a fleeting period in their lives when they are mature, experienced, still hale, and finally figured out how to make some cash for the less rosy future when they will be not so healthy or fortunate.

9) The Private HHS Department

Tax-resistant Americans also find ways to redistribute their money without government help. I know dozens who give far more to charities than do far wealthier liberals. I think statistics will back that up. Somehow paying the mortgage for a daughter, picking up the funeral bill for a cousin, loaning a brother-in-law cash for his business — all that never computes into wealth and poverty statistics, despite the fact that in every family there are “cash cows” whom everyone seems to approach for help (and they rarely go away refused). Is there a government form that asks of the middle class, “How much help, direct or indirect, have you obtained from a relative — parent, sibling, cousin, child — this year?”

10) The Technocratic Class

Then there is the class and cultural divide. Opening a bakery at 5AM for forty years or owning a fleet of semis is a constant headache in a way being the regional director of the Department of the Interior is not. By that, I mean it is far harder to net $150,000 in the muscular private sector than in the world of the tenured bureaucratic technocracy. If one reads the resumes of a Steven Chu, Hilda Solis, Eric Holder or Barack Obama there is a long government cursus honorum that almost ensures that none of these grandees has a clue how a business works or how fragile is expected income, how sure are expenses. So the technocratic class that soared to prosperity through government subsidies and employment is somewhat resented by the more conservative small business private sector that both supports it and so frequently finds itself on the receiving end of the latter’s disdain. The biggest myth is the prior Obamas’ boast of something like, “I could have made more in the private sector, but nobly chose to serve the community.” I doubt whether either Obama had the skill to soar in the corporate predatory sky. And why is it that the well-salaried bureaucrat always sighs that he could have made more in the private sector, as if he could have walked into a similarly tenured job at Exxon and would not have had to first hustle as a salesmen to earn what he does?

11) Politics

The 5% who pay nearly 60% of the taxes, while not monolithic, feel that they are pawns in a larger jaded chess game, in which the bishops and rooks have rigged the board: always higher taxes fuel bigger government, which fuels an expanding recipient class which pays homage by reelecting more big-government statists who further fuel government for sympathetic dependent voters. For the conservative, who sees dependencies and overregulation everywhere, each extra dime in taxes means more of what will turn us into a failed redistributive Greece. One group is expanding, the other shrinking in our Darwinian world of tax and spend.

12) Technology

Liberals talk as if we live in the world of coal-dusted Dickensian London and the Cratchits, or perhaps millions are still like the Joads putt-putting in smoky cars from Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl. Yes, there is poverty, but it transcends income, entitlements, and most of the rules of what used to apply in the pre-globalized world. My local Wal-Mart — in the poorest section of one of the poorest counties in a near bankrupt state — does a brisk business in new cell phones, DVDs, big-screen TVs, laptops, and discretionary purchasing. Black Friday was nightmarish when I drove by. When I was ten, few of the middle class had air conditioners; now most of the poor do, whether in their homes or cars. The onset of a billion new global workers, cheap consumer items, technological revolution, and government cash has meant that someone with a “below the poverty line” income can purchase cheap clothing and gadgetry that forty years ago were the mark of an aristocrat. The ability to call a foreign country on a cell phone for 5 cents a minute from the check-out counter never computes in any standard of wealth and poverty. In our world, it is “What THEY have,” not “What I have,” that counts.

The above is not a bold plea not to pay taxes, but a feeble rear-guard action to remind some why 50% of an income paid in assorted taxes is enough — and why more is not just unnecessary, but will more likely make things far worse. Had Obama been, even for a year, an electrical contractor or Starbucks manager rather than spent a lifetime in academia, community organizing, or comfortably employed by some sort of government, he would have had a different view of taxes and expenses. I might suggest from experience that I knew a lot of independent farmers who could have done graduate work at a Stanford or UC, but not too many Stanford Ph.Ds who could have run and survived on a 400-acre operation of cotton, almonds, and citrus.

A more detailed critique of the "Social Justice" meme for your toolkit:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2011/11/21/social-justice-greed-and-the-occupy-wall-street-movement/

Social Justice, Greed And The Occupy Wall Street Movement

“It seems to be almost a law of human nature that it is easier for people to agree on a negative program – on the hatred of an enemy, on the envy of those better off – than on any positive task.”  Friedrich Hayek, The Road to Serfdom

Occupy Wall Street (OWS) has provided a rare up-close and personal look at a social system animated by the desire for political power that disrespects, if not completely disregards, fundamental property rights.  What we can see is a society that fosters squalor, theft, rape and pillage and a political movement based on the very greed it claims to abhor.

The OWS movement began with an idealistic impulse which a majority of Americans support.  The grievances against the bailouts of banks, auto companies, and major corporations including GM, Chrysler and GE are real and justified.  But, idealism and good intentions cannot excuse the results produced within the OWS community itself, nor the substance of its political agenda.

To excuse or glance over this reality is to avert one’s eyes to the inevitable consequences of a social philosophy that believes human rights can be detached from property rights.  We are told that if humans would just be willing to share in the pursuit of the common good, harmony and social justice would prevail.  Instead, what we observe is absent the right to property, all other human rights – including the right to one’s body – gives way to the rule of force.

Disregard, if not the abolition of property rights, is at the heart of the OWS movement. The attack on property rights begins with the act “to occupy,” that is to take possession of someone else’s property through the power of the mob. And, it is manifest in the communal nature of OWS movement.

The first and most obvious result is the squalor of the camps, from accumulation of trash and litter, to the lack of sanitation.  Nor should we be surprised by the growing lawlessness of the movement or the crimes committed within the OWS community itself.  Laptop computers quickly disappeared from Zuccotti Park because they were stolen or the occupiers stopped bringing them. That is what happens when no one’s property is safe from theft or abuse.  A world without property rights quickly runs out of capital, because capital cannot exist without the protection of individual property or the state asserting property rights in its own name.  The consequence is poverty for all but the political elites.

The worst crimes, however, were committed against individuals, including sexual assaults and rape.  But these crimes, too, are symptomatic of a society that eschews private property. As John Locke wrote:

“Though the Earth and all inferior Creatures be common to all Men, yet every Man has a property in his own person. (emphasis in original)  This no Body has any Right to but himself.”

In other words, the first and most precious property right is your ownership of your own body.  This sounds strange to our modern ears, but it goes to the very essence of why property rights are at the very foundation of liberty, and why those who seek power over other human beings advocate abolishing private property.

With the exception of small communes, usually organized around religious principals, the abandonment of our right to private property puts at risk our life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Without property rights, there is also little commerce.  Commerce exists where individuals are free to enter into mutually beneficial exchanges.  Absent the ownership of property, there is nothing to exchange.  Therefore, the movement was dependent upon outside resources.  Unlike most gatherings of thousands of people, OWS has been a scourge on the businesses surrounding Zuccotti Park.

A society without property rights also shows little compassion for those outside the community who are in need.  The homeless who were attracted to Zuccotti Park by “free food” and tents were not welcome to share in the relative abundance of the protestors.

Finally, the OWS movement demonstrates that “social justice” is based on unjust policies similar to those they condemn.  The protestors rightfully assail the bailouts of banks and Wall Street executives, but their solution is more of the same including bailouts for student loans and individuals who took out mortgages on houses they could not afford.

In truth, the OWS protestors are only skirmishing over the distribution of the spoils system they claim to abhor.  Their demands for higher tax rates on the “1%” shows their desire to join those who pillage through the power of government.  They call it social justice.  But its credo is the same as the crony capitalists who exploit the American people through government handouts:  Both seek to use political power to satisfy their needs by taking the income of others rather than through voluntary exchanges.  In each case, its true name is “greed.”

As such, OWS is the antithesis of the civil rights and anti-war movements.  Those were rebellions against oppressive government policies and grounded in the fight for liberty. Interfering with the right of thousands of honest Americans to go peacefully to work is not the same as demonstrating against the injustice of Jim Crow laws by riding in the front of the bus.  Nor is demanding more government handouts and higher taxes the equivalent to demanding a stop to the shedding of blood and treasure in a far off land that the American people no longer believed was vital to the national interest.

The great irony is those protesting are suffering the most from the very policies they largely support:  The massive increase in government spending; the de facto government take-over of the health care and financial services industries; the blocking wherever possible of the production or delivery of traditional energy – from new EPA mandates designed to force the shut-down of coal fired generating plants to the postponement of the Keystone XL pipeline; and the threat of higher tax rates on those with the income and capital to create private sector jobs.

Faced with the failure of the Obama Administration’s grandiose plans to produce either jobs or a more just society, they choose to blame those who have figured out a way to manage, if not prosper, under the rules that the OWS crowd supports – ever heavier government regulations and taxes. They applaud when the government forces insurance companies to keep them on their parents health plans until they turn 27, but complain that they have no job and have to live at home.

Sadly, they either refuse or are incapable of seeing the connection between the two.

The nation’s ills will not be solved by shutting down businesses and empowering government to take even more resources from the private sector.  The answer lies in more liberty and less government control of the economy and our lives.  To change America for the better, occupy Pennsylvania Avenue.

The thread title seems relevent enough.              (Shared with provisions of The Copyright Act)

Parliament has become irrelevant under Harper
PM fired or forced out 10 government watchdogs
Stephen Maher, Postmedia News 07 Dec
http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/Stephen+Maher+Parliament+become+irrelevant+under+Harper/5815682/story.html

On Wednesday, Canadian President Stephen Harper will fly to Washington for a meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama, where the two are expected to unveil a new border agreement.

Whoops. That should read Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Sorry.

These days it's easy to get confused about the role of Harper, who is nominally the prime minister of a Westminster cabinet government in which the central functions of government are carried out by Parliament.

Over time, under successive prime ministers, power has shifted away from Parliament, but under Harper it has become thoroughly subordinated to the backroom operatives in his office, who wield the real power.

It is not, as Rick Mercer suggested last week, time to shut down the House, since Parliament can still serve as a helpmate to the anonymous men and women who really run the country, but we ought to acknowledge that we are in a new era in which Parliament is a shadow play.

In the days of John A. Macdonald, Parliament was the place where the nation's key debates took place. There were plenty of "loose fish" back then, MPs who would vote for or against bills depending on their judgment, so the debates were crucial.

Macdonald lamented the difficulty of herding those loose fish. "Anyone can support me when they think I'm right," he said. "What I want is someone that will support me when I am wrong."

Harper couldn't make a similar complaint, because every single member of the Conservative caucus supports him, every time, right or wrong.

These days, the important debates take place not in the House but on TV screens - much in the form of paid advertising - and each party is therefore run by marketing specialists.

All but a handful of very strong MPs are elected by those marketing teams, so they can't claim an independent mandate. The recent orange wave, where dozens of unknowns were swept into office on Jack Layton's coattails, shows that our system is becoming more leader-centred.

In a traditional parliamentary system, leaders win their mandate from MPs in the House. Thus, John Diefenbaker was effectively taken down by his own caucus. By 1988, when a majority of Liberal MPs tried to oust John Turner, he was able to beat them back, claiming a direct mandate from party supporters.

Over time, prime ministers have used that direct authority - a result of electronic media - to strengthen their hand, starting with Pierre Trudeau, who weakened ministers by strengthening the central agencies.

Harper has continued that centralization and subordinated the public service, so that significant plans are drawn up in his office, not the offices of his ministers or bureaucrats, and the legislative process in the House is an empty ordeal that must be endured.

So the cabinet is a focus group, and most ministers are best understood as spokesministers, reading lines written by the PMO.

(For that reason, I find it hard to work up much enthusiasm for calls for the resignations of ministers like Bev Oda or Peter MacKay, even when they have misled the House.)

In this session, Harper's people have used time allocation as never before, cutting off debate to force through their bills.

It is possible that after Christmas, once he has got the urgent stuff through, Harper will make greater use of parliamentary committees, allowing them to actually work on bills, but for the moment, we have legislation by fiat.

A nasty recent push poll in Montreal - in which the Conservatives told voters that Liberal MP Irwin Cotler would soon be leaving his seat - suggests that the Tories intend to conduct a permanent campaign, as in the United States.

This presidentialization of the Canadian system is worrying, not because of some fetishistic attachment to the trappings of Parliament, but because it allows for greater centralization than is found in other democracies.

In the United States, Obama can't act without Congress. In Britain, prime ministers can never impose iron discipline on their huge, leaky caucuses.

A better comparison to the Canadian situation might be Russia, where Vladimir Putin is able to act without concern for the formal role of institutions, although in Canada there are a series of extra-governmental actors - the premiers, the courts and the media - that would prevent any government from going too far.

And we have watchdogs - the auditor general, the parliamentary budget officer and the like - but according to a count by Queen's University Professor Ned Franks, Harper has fired or forced out 10 watchdogs, which tends to cow the others.

In the last election, in the face of a Liberal campaign that attacked him as an enemy of Parliament, Harper communicated a powerful message of strength and stability and convinced Canadians he was best equipped to manage the economy.

Voters will judge him on those terms in four years. Until then, he has extraordinary latitude to act as he sees fit.

Gee....the MSM said the same thing about Cretian's iron fist hold parliament.....slow news day....let's bash this year's PM.... ::)

The concentration of power in the PMO has been ongoing since Trudeau.  They only call it "presidential" now because Stephen Harper is PM.  Compared to Canadian prime ministers, US presidents have very little power.  To call the PM's power under Harper "presidential" only highlights the author's bias against PM Harper.

RangerRay said:
The concentration of power in the PMO has been ongoing since Trudeau.  They only call it "presidential" now because Stephen Harper is PM.  Compared to Canadian prime ministers, US presidents have very little power.  To call the PM's power under Harper "presidential" only highlights the author's bias against PM Harper.

:goodpost:

Michael Pitfield, Trudeau's Clerk of the Privy Council, and a very, very bright if, often, misguided fellow, is to "blame" for starting the concentration of power ball rolling. He did so for commendable reasons: governments under St Laurent, Diefenbaker, Pearson and Trudeau had become more and more cumbersome - despite some quite brilliant men being at the top of the bureaucratic heap (Clerk). But there was too much overlap, too many competing 'priorities' and too many powerful bureaucratic empires. Pitfield's reforms began to cut through the bureaucratic jungle but at the expense of e.g. ministerial responsibility. Today (well 15 years ago, anyway) the Clerks' weekly breakfasts with Deputies and heads of agencies were more important than cabinet meetings and, like cabinet meetings, usually only a small slice of the potential membership was invited to attend.

clerk_former_pitfield.jpg

Michael Pitfield
Clerk of the Privy Council
January 16, 1975 to June 4, 1979
March 11, 1980 to December 9, 1982

57Chevy said:
And we have watchdogs - the auditor general, the parliamentary budget officer and the like - but according to a count by Queen's University Professor Ned Franks, Harper has fired or forced out 10 watchdogs, which tends to cow the others.

E.R.
Is it not the watchdogs that help to ensure the transparency of our government ?

57Chevy said:
E.R.
Is it not the watchdogs that help to ensure the transparency of our government ?

I am, philosophically, opposed to most "watchdogs," the obvious exception being the auditor general - all auditors must be independent of those they audit.

In my opinion most "watchdogs" and ALL ombudsmen should be fired and ministers, very senior civil servants and judges should ensure that laws and regulations are obeyed - or, if/when the laws and regulations no longer make sense, repealed.

"Watchdogs" and ombudsmen are proof that politicians, bureaucrats and chains of command are inept or corrupt. Prime ministers, ministers, deputy ministers, chiefs of staff and commissioners ought to be firing people, not hiring "watchdogs" to deflect attention away from problems. If a minister or deputy or chief of staff cannot fire the crooks and bunglers then the PM needs to fire the minister, deputy, etc, etc. If the PM cannot do that then the people need to fire him (or her) come the next election.

But PMs, ministers and so on, including, too often chiefs of staff, are usually cowards, so ...

Perhaps this is one of the reasons people seem to have so much difficulty in understanding or believing in such ideas as Classical Economics, tax cuts to jump start the economy, Supply Side economics, the Laffer Curve, Austrian school economics and so on (which is especially puzzling considering the long and well documented track record. Can anyone be taken seriously when they attempt to argue in the face of an increase in Provincial revenues of $20 billion dollars that the "Common Sense Revolution" hurt the Ontario economy?)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_peril_of_smart_politicians_Hh74dtNxYtTdZhgHkID3NK#ixzz1g93Rw5Lb

The peril of ‘smart’ politicians

Last Updated: 3:52 AM, December 10, 2011

Posted: 10:38 PM, December 9, 2011

Republicans sure seem dumb, especially when you look at the state of their presidential primary field. The popular candidate of the day seems to be whoever can yell the most about taxes and countries we don’t like, and the whole spectacle is egged on by the Tea Party, a group that came together over the simplistic notion of not liking government spending and that lacks the reason and nuance of left-wing advocacy groups. (Ever heard of a Tea Party drum circle?)

Of course, the smart-sounding folks already had their shot. Barack Obama — who sounded so, so smart — was elected along with big majorities in Congress and brought in his highly educated advisers, and the result is high unemployment and out-of-control debt . . . plus, for some reason, he sold guns to Mexican drug cartels. Still, we’re assured of how smart Obama is and that he’ll tell us his next genius idea as soon as he gets his tongue unstuck from the flagpole.

Now, I don’t ever want to be accused of arguing that any politician is anything other than a useless nitwit who gets in the way of people who do real work, but there does seem to be some trouble in this country in judging who is smart and who isn’t. The main problem may be confusing “simple” with “dumb.”

If something is simple, then dumb people will believe it. And if dumb people believe something, then soon some conclude that smart people should believe something else. There’s a flaw in that philosophy.

Why shouldn’t you touch a hot stove? There’s no complex, smart answer to that. You’ll get roughly the same answer from Stephen Hawking that you’d get from Forrest Gump: It’s hot, and it will hurt.

But say you were going to argue that you should touch a hot stove. That would have to be a very complex answer, since it defies basic logic. And some people could run with that, talking in detail about pain receptors and the brain’s reaction to stimulus, and come up with a very smart-sounding argument on why touching a hot stove is a great idea.

Others will go further and mock all those ignorant people in the flyover states for their irrational fear of hot stoves and announce, “The most enlightened thing to do is to press one’s face against a hot stove.” Those people are what we call intellectuals.

Similarly, when someone comes up with a well-reasoned argument backed by top economists that two plus two equals five, there’s no brilliant way to refute it. The only response is: “No, you’re an idiot; it’s four.” But if you say that, you’ll be called anti-smart people.

And that’s the problem with the right: All its main stances on the issues are rather simple. And when concepts are simple, it’s hard to make smart-sounding arguments for them, while the arguments against them would have to be complex, which some people mistake for meaning they’re smart.

And haven’t the left’s recent economic plans basically been a lot of convoluted arguments that two plus two equals five?

So you can get a top job in the administration if you can make a good argument for why the government should borrow vast amounts to invest in companies that lose money.

If people keep falling for this, politicians are going to keep hiding dumb ness under heaps of complexity. So in an election, don’t look for a politician who sounds smart, but instead for one whose face doesn’t have burn marks from a hot stove.

Satirist Frank J. Fleming’s e-book, “Obama: The Greatest President in the History of Everything,” is out from HarperCollins.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_peril_of_smart_politicians_Hh74dtNxYtTdZhgHkID3NK#ixzz1gCYLsuHh

E.R. Campbell said:
I am, philosophically, opposed to most "watchdogs," the obvious exception being the auditor general - all auditors must be independent of those they audit.

In my opinion most "watchdogs" and ALL ombudsmen should be fired and ministers, very senior civil servants and judges should ensure that laws and regulations are obeyed - or, if/when the laws and regulations no longer make sense, repealed.

"Watchdogs" and ombudsmen are proof that politicians, bureaucrats and chains of command are inept or corrupt. Prime ministers, ministers, deputy ministers, chiefs of staff and commissioners ought to be firing people, not hiring "watchdogs" to deflect attention away from problems. If a minister or deputy or chief of staff cannot fire the crooks and bunglers then the PM needs to fire the minister, deputy, etc, etc. If the PM cannot do that then the people need to fire him (or her) come the next election.

But PMs, ministers and so on, including, too often chiefs of staff, are usually cowards, so ...

I don't particularly care for the term 'watchdog' because it makes me think of a pit-bull frothing at the mouth
while attached to a huge chain.
A better term could be used such as 'overseer', or something similar to that effect.

It's like a catch 22 situation. On one hand we expect to have responsible government. And on the other
we employ 'watchdogs' to make sure that the government is actually acting responsibly. So yes, I agree that
they do prove the inadequacy issues. I was not looking at it in that light.

We know that corruption is found just about everywhere in some form or another, and in most cases can be
quite a lengthy task to expose.
The firing should and needs to come from the appropriate authority like the PM but the investigation of
wrongdoing needs to remain separate.

I do not understand how 'watchdogs' deflect attention away from problems though. Unless they themselves become
or are the problem.

In 2006 we saw the implementation of the Federal Accountability Act (FAA) or Bill C-2 in which a portion of
it promises to protect 'whistleblowers' from negative repercussions, which as far as I can tell, reinforced the
position or grounds of those 'watchdogs'.
That is to say, if 'watchdogs' are in fact 'whistleblowers'. I could be wrong.

Then again, if a 'watchdog' gets fired for some reason or another, it doesn't actually abolish the position,
they may just hire one that won't bark.
Which would then be a complete failure because democracy is supposed to be all about integrity.

As Edward Kennedy said " Integrity is the lifeblood of democracy. Deceit is a poison in its veins."

The government already has a watchdog-
It is called the Official Opposition.  If they bother to do their job correctly.

Classical liberal thought is basd on free speech and association, as well as property rights and the rule of law. If universities are creating a culture that restricts free speech, then the foundations of Classical Liberalism are being undermined by the very institutions which are supposed to protect and preserve them:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/12/09/canadian-universities-failing-to-protect-free-speech-report/

Canadian universities failing to protect free speech: report
Charles Lewis  Dec 9, 2011 – 2:02 AM ET | Last Updated: Dec 9, 2011 7:42 AM ET

Dean Bicknell / Postmedia News files
Lawyer John Carpay stands in front of some of the students he represented after they were charged with trespassing following an anti-abortion demonstration on the University of Calgary campus.
Comments Email Twitter
inShare
A “disconcerting” number of Canadian universities have failed in their mission to protect free speech and in the process are helping to erode open debate in the larger society, a new report contends.

“If censorship is OK on a university campus, I think there is a spin-off effect that harms the health of free speech outside the university as well,” Calgary lawyer John Carpay, one of the authors of The 2011 Campus Free Speech Index, said Thursday. “Taxpayers are paying hundreds of millions of dollars to these institutions that promise to be a forum for frank debate. It’s disconcerting to see this.”

Mr. Carpay has been defending anti-abortion students at the University of Calgary, a school cited in the report. It grades 18 secular universities in terms of their policies on free speech, their actions and practices, as well as student union policies and practices. None of the schools came out unblemished but the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and the University of New Brunswick fared the best as protectors of free speech.

Carleton University, University of Western Ontario and University of Calgary were given the least flattering assessment.

All three schools said free speech has always been a foundational part of their campuses and rejected Mr. Carpay’s conclusions.

“We believe our campus does a good job of providing an environment that is conducive to free speech. We have student groups and faculty hosting talks, debates, discussion and, yes, even the occasional protest, on a range of subjects and issues,” said Christopher Cline, a spokesman for Carleton.

“The University of Calgary supports students sharing their views about subjects in a respectful manner,” said Grady Semmens, a spokesman for the school.

The report was prepared by the Calgary-based Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms. This is the first year a report has been issued and the group said it plans to continue to issuing annual reports.

The main targets of censorship on campus are anti-abortion groups, the report found. It also cited issues arising between pro-Palestinian and Pro-Israeli students in which campuses thwarted free speech.

“I think every age has a viewpoint that is particularly unpopular,” Mr. Carpay said. “But the most important thing I emphasize is if universities and student councils can censor the pro-life view, then they can censor anything and they will eventually censor anything.”

At the University of Calgary, an anti-abortion group has been at odds with the school for several years for displaying graphic anti-abortion posters. The school requested the students turn the posters so students would not be forced to see them. The students were charged with trespassing but Mr. Carpay said the Crown dismissed the case because they could not find what school policy the students had violated. The students were also charged with non-academic conduct, but that is under appeal.

The report notes that in 2011 the University of Western Ontario’s anti-abortion club, Western Lifeline, requested space for an event in which women would discuss their personal experiences with abortion. Mr. Carpay said the club was offered a secluded room away from foot traffic, while other groups were given more visible space.

Daniel Paolini, a member of Western Lifeline, said he applied to the director of student life, who works for the student council, and was told such an event would offend community standards.

However, Helen Connell, a spokeswoman for the university, said the report is misleading. She said a decision was made by the student council and that the school respects the council’s judgment and the right to manage its spaces. The group was not denied the right to hold the event but did not like the space it was given, she said.

Mr. Carpay called Carleton University “the worst” school for defending free speech because of the aggressive way it treated members of a pro-life club. In 2010, Carleton Lifeline was suspended for having discriminatory views against women. The student union told club members they could regain their status by changing their anti-abortion views.

The Carleton Lifeline students were also denied a prominent place on campus. When they attempted to put up a graphic anti-abortion display on the student quadrangle, the university brought in Ottawa police who handcuffed the students and charged them with trespassing.

Albertos Polizogopoulos, lawyer for the Carleton students, said he found Thursday’s report “frightening in its depiction of how freedom of expression is being curtailed.”
“Universities are going down a line where they become defenders of indoctrination and ideology rather than defending inquiry,” Mr. Polizogopoulos said.

The Canadian Association of University Teachers and the Association of Universities and Colleges did respond to requests for comment.

National Post
• Email: clewis@nationalpost.com | Twitter:

I think the biggest problem is that real capitalists have been sidelined while bankers who cheat the system  make billions. Rehypothecating debt so you can buy government bonds at 4 times your original capital gives 2% bonds an 8% yield with money that never existed in the first place. How is that Capitalism? That is some crony milking the system of my tax dollars and giving himself multimillion dollar bonuses for being so smart. Stopping that would give the right some credibility. Let's face it middle of the road Harper still only gets 38% of the popular vote. People think conservatives are in the pocket of these banker welfare bums even though all parties are equally in their pocket. Our banks are not even that safe. CIBC has 72 billion and RBC 50+ billion tied up in these rehypothecated collateral schemes. Fractional reserve banking needs to be split off from real banks before the next bubble bursts.

Thucydides said:
Perhaps this is one of the reasons people seem to have so much difficulty in understanding or believing in such ideas as Classical Economics, tax cuts to jump start the economy, Supply Side economics, the Laffer Curve, Austrian school economics and so on (which is especially puzzling considering the long and well documented track record. Can anyone be taken seriously when they attempt to argue in the face of an increase in Provincial revenues of $20 billion dollars that the "Common Sense Revolution" hurt the Ontario economy?)

People don't believe in supply-side economics, because it's been discredited by history. The Laffer Curve doesn't seem to hold water in the real world, otherwise the Bush tax cuts would have actually done something to help the US economy rather than forcing it into the abyss it's in now, and that's why no one can make a rational argument for tax cuts stimulating the economy since it doesn't seem to have ever happened. Likewise, Austrian economics is regarded by economists across the spectrum as a fringe set of ideas. The reason that conservatism stands the best chance ever of being completely rejected by voters is that it is starting to show itself for what it is. The more the Republican Party in the USA, for example, becomes easier to paint as the party of division, obstruction, and celebrating failure, the easier it'll be to get people engaged and out to vote.

I have to agree. Trickle down economics is almost a joke in most academic circles. Hayek's utopian world view of laissez faire captialism was discredited the year it came out. The Road to Serfdon was not bad though. Economic libertarianism has gone too far when bankers can invent capital out of thin air to the tune of trillions of dollars just so they can collect interest and fees on it. 17+ trillion dollars disappeared last time. How many more when Europe caves in? These douche bags need to be given some rules.

Rule one: No fractional reserve banking for retail banks. Only investment banks. This was one of the few things we learned from the Great Depression. Clinton made a great error repealing it.

Rule two: No off balance sheet rehypothecation of assets multiple times in off shore havens. CIBC I'm looking at you! 72 billion and near record profits during the worst recession since 1930. That does not smell right. Your 250$ asset does not get to become thousands in investment capital choking the bond market. God that burns me. Bankers are worse than those moms with 4 different kids each from a different father. Welfare bums who think they are better than us. Bankers are the new used car salesmen.

E.R. Campbell said:
:goodpost:

Michael Pitfield, Trudeau's Clerk of the Privy Council, and a very, very bright if, often, misguided fellow, is to "blame" for starting the concentration of power ball rolling. He did so for commendable reasons: governments under St Laurent, Diefenbaker, Pearson and Trudeau had become more and more cumbersome - despite some quite brilliant men being at the top of the bureaucratic heap (Clerk). But there was too much overlap, too many competing 'priorities' and too many powerful bureaucratic empires. Pitfield's reforms began to cut through the bureaucratic jungle but at the expense of e.g. ministerial responsibility. Today (well 15 years ago, anyway) the Clerks' weekly breakfasts with Deputies and heads of agencies were more important than cabinet meetings and, like cabinet meetings, usually only a small slice of the potential membership was invited to attend.

clerk_former_pitfield.jpg

Michael Pitfield
Clerk of the Privy Council
January 16, 1975 to June 4, 1979
March 11, 1980 to December 9, 1982

We might be getting off-topic here, but I thought this article in the Globe and Mail on the power of the Prime Minister was apt.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-most-powerful-of-all/article2266183/

NEIL REYNOLDS
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s most powerful of all?

Published Monday, Dec. 12, 2011 2:00AM EST

Journalists are anxiously telling people these days that Stephen Harper is the most powerful prime minister in Canadian history – and warning of dire consequences to our ancient freedoms. Among other things, they cite his centralization of power, his dominance of Parliament and his control of his own party. Opposition MPs predictably agree – some of them profanely. Are we witnessing a parliamentary coup? Or are we merely witnessing parliamentary competence? Should we be worried?
More related to this story

Not so much. As a simple matter of fact, all prime ministers possess the same powers as all other prime ministers – which is to say, all prime ministers are inherently powerful. “The powers of the prime minister,” Arthur Meighen once said, “are very great.” Indeed, he said, they make the prime minister “supreme.” This is so for a simple reason. By constitutional right and by parliamentary tradition, the prime minister is – for all practical purposes – the Crown.

It’s useful to recall that Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first prime minister, sought to establish a Kingdom of Canada in which the prime minister would exercise sovereign power. “We cannot limit or define the powers of the Crown.” By this, he meant, through the transmogrification of the Crown, the powers of the prime minister. Indeed, Macdonald held that no legal limit could be placed on the executive branch, “the government.” The Sovereign “can do as she pleases,” he said – provided she takes her prime minister’s advice.

In his 1908 biography of Macdonald, Sir George Parkin observed that Sir John had fashioned a country with “a powerful central government and minor provincial legislatures for local purposes.” But, for Macdonald, this was not power enough. He further devised the provincial lieutenant-governors – all appointed by the Crown, all reporting to the Crown (and, hence, to the prime minister); all helping the central government keep the provinces in check. In the early years of Confederation, Macdonald frequently disallowed provincial legislation.

In any literal reading of the British North America Act, Sir George wrote, “Canada would appear to suffer under a dictatorship, the autocratic rule of one central figure, acting in the name of the Sovereign, who governs the Dominion with little reference to, or control by, the people.” In short, Canada is a monarchy, not a democracy.

In this monarchy, a prime minister exercises absolute control over the cabinet. Macdonald and Sir Wilfrid Laurier ruled their respective cabinets and backbench MPs with firm detachment. In historian Robert McGregor Dawson’s classic 1947 analysis, The Government of Canada, he observes: “The leader of the pack will tolerate no rival – and he possesses the will and the means to enforce his supremacy.” Margaret Thatcher famously ruled as the Iron Lady: “I don’t mind how much my ministers talk,” she said, “so long as they do what I say.”

Successful prime ministers, Dawson said, must be “ruthless” in wielding their authority. In 1902, for example, Joseph-Israël Tarte, a cabinet colleague of Laurier, publicly called for higher tariffs – breaking cabinet solidarity. Laurier fired him. His eloquent reason stands to this day: “It is in human nature to differ. It is in human nature, even for the best of friends. But the [cabinet] sits for the purpose of reconciling these differences. … The necessity for solidarity … is absolute.”

Many of the prime minister’s powers are nowhere written. These “prerogative powers” are simply traditional: the power to pardon; the power to declare war; the power to summon, prorogue or dissolve Parliament. It was silly for the opposition to go squirrelly when Mr. Harper prorogued Parliament for strategic purposes. His right to do so was absolute, his reason irrelevant.

Our constitutional monarchy is inherently hierarchical. It encourages consensus but does not require it – and gives us stable government in return. Democracy is for elections; governing is something else altogether. Yet, Mr. Harper holds his powers, elaborate as they are, only with the consent of his own colleagues. MPs are nobodies, Pierre Trudeau once said, when they’re 100 yards from Parliament Hill. Assembled in the House of Commons, though, they retain a superior power – in a parliamentary sense, the right to regicide.

In other words, the PM's powers have been there since Confederation.

RangerRay said:
We might be getting off-topic here, but I thought this article in the Globe and Mail on the power of the Prime Minister was apt.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-most-powerful-of-all/article2266183/

In other words, the PM's powers have been there since Confederation.

Very true, but the political power of the bureaucratic centre (PCO, Finance and TB) grew, immensely, under Pitfield and continues to grow today - including the power to intervene, directly and authoritatively, in military administrative and operational matters for policy reasons. Some member of this forum who have, more recently than I, served in NDHQ can attest to this.

The top level of the bureaucracy is, properly, concerned with policy, but the line, such as it is, between policy and politics is thin and often very nearly invisible.

My feeling is that Privy Council Clerk Wouters is even more controlling (and over a wider range of matters) than was his predecessor Kevin Lynch.

working_with_PM-393x251.jpg

Kevin%20G.%20Clerk185.jpg

Clerk of the Privy Council Wayne Wouters with Prime Minister Harper        Former Clerk Kevin Lynch

I post the pictures because people ought to see who runs Canada, day by day and generation by generation - the top level bureaucrats, unlike 99.99% of politicians, have a long range (20+ year) visions of Canada and they have an outline plan of how to get there.

And by the way, they, those top level bureaucrats, are relentlessly liberal, but they are classically liberal, by which most people, today, mean conservative - so we are in the right thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back