• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Concealed carry on Post/Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
cupper said:
I can go either way on the issue, just that living down here, you hear all sides of the argument. And some on the pro side tend to make their arguments in rather counter productive ways.

As do the antis, and quite often they can be more extreme and hyperbolic. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Nemo888 said:
When I am in civvy clothes I think it is ridiculous. But when I am in uniform I feel a bit naked without a gun. Never had cause to use one out of the Army. Seems like a waste of time and money. I don't carry bear spray either. But hey if you have a permit I don't really care what you put in your pants.

It is only ridiculous to those that don't want it. On the other side of the coin, those that do, could say (but seldom do) that you are ridiculous because of your beliefs.

It's a useless statement.

Slight Derail, back to my point,

I only used the Sig as an example since the CF tends to like to buy only one type of something... So I could see them going with Sig's since they already own them...

If I had my say, I would replace the BHP (Which I never said was a bad pistol... Just that there are more modern better options out there...) with the Glock.... It's as simple if not more so, then the BHP, and also very very reliable. 

I will say for the record however, that I do not have enough knowledge on the reliability of Glock Magazines to say yay or nay with them...

I will agree with Snaketnk that when the Mags and Pistol are in good condition the BHP is awesome. I would own one civy side if I had the money around to buy one...

And for the record I am Pro carry.

Canada needs to pull its head out of the Sand and give the inherent right to self defense back to the law abiding good citizens of this country.

Tommy said:
Canada needs to pull its head out of the Sand and give the inherent right to self defense back to the law abiding good citizens of this country.

When did we ever have the right to self defense in the sense of being able to carry firearms for purposes other than hunting?

Check that. Not sure if I understand the comment. :-\

FYI there was a time when citizens were permitted to own and carry guns for their defense.

I have a deactivated .22 revolver, it had been found in my grand parents basement about 15 years ago. Had to be deactivated as it was unregistered and fell rather firmly in the banned firearm class. It had been bought for my great grand mother by my great great grand mother as a gift when she moved from her relatively small town to Toronto for a period around the turn of the century.

There's a few scenarios I can think of where I would LIKE to have the option to carry. With that said however, I'd much rather any CCW program be VERY limited in scope. I personally would not want anyone carrying unless they are HIGHLY professional in their skills and drills, and willing to spend the time and money to maintain that standard.

Even in the CF, I would venture to say that most have little experience with pistols (other than CANSOFCOM, and anyone else that regularly trains with or carries them) beyond pumping a few mags through a BHP.  Wearing a cool uniform does not an expert make...

Colin P said:
market consumed 12 billion rounds of ammo in 2008-2009.... slightly less than 10,000 homicides a year involving guns. So you do the math as to how many bullets per homicide and what percentage of firearms are involved in a homicide.

Based on these stats, we really shouldn't be issuing gun permits to anyone. 1.2 Million bullets per homicide. Figure that the victim would have gotten away after the first reload, or maybe the 200th. ;D

Personally if i gets to the point where I feel I have to carry a firearm to feel safe while going around my community, I want to talk with the government about getting a refund on my tax dollars that are paid to support the police and public safety agencies.

cupper said:
Based on these stats, we really shouldn't be issuing gun permits to anyone. 1.2 Million bullets per homicide. Figure that the victim would have gotten away after the first reload, or maybe the 200th. ;D

Your math is a touch off, you're assuming that all bullets purchased are used in homicide. You need to remember to factor in legal purchases for hunting, firing range, etc. ;D

I'm going to find out where The Patriots of BC stand on this issue on my way down to the Inner Harbour to chuck some tea in the drink. I can't wait to restore democracy and regain control of my province. Hopefully there will be pipe bands  :piper:

One if by land, two if by BC Ferries (but don't worry if it's two, because they probably can't afford it)

http://www.patriotsofbc.com/index.html

Control your government - regain control of your province!

There are many voters in this province, who are disgusted with the lack of acceptable choices at election time.
It is serious enough that many people qualified to vote, don't bother doing so because no matter who gets elected,
the results are always the same. The reason that we are always ignored is that we can't address our politicians with one voice - we are not unified in action, the only thing that we are unified in, is the subject and substance of our complaining. Well, British Columbians,

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO HAVE A SAY!

The U.S. have their Tea Party Movement which has greatly influenced both, the Republicans and the Democrats. Their President has had to change course on many of his plans and is now listening very closely to what the movement wants.

We, British Columbians, being Canadians, are too easy going and are generally too lazy to do anything but complain about what we don't like about our government. The H.S.T. referendum campaign may have been enough to show us that we can do something to correct what we don't like.

Let's hope that the people stayed mad enough to vote against the H.S.T., not because it's a bad tax but because we need to teach the politicians who they work for and who they MUST listen to. We need to RESTORE DEMOCRACY!

Colin P said:
<snip> and all banks were required to have a gun on the premises. Funny how people forget that. 

"( Bank manager ) Elwood  grabbed a fully loaded .38 calibre revolver that was kept in the teller's drawer and set off in pursuit. The robber attempted to commandeer a car parked in front of the bank. The manager charged out of the bank and emptied the five shot revolver at the robber, but all the bullets missed."

"Although the banks don't appear to have taken security very seriously, they did issue handguns to bank staff with the expectation that if there was a hold-up, they would shoot back. There were enough young Second World War veterans in the workforce at the time to ensure that at least some staff would know how to use them. There was even a secret downtown firing range in the old Bank of Toronto building where managers and tellers were expected to practice regularly. This ended only in the late 1950s after a bank staff member was killed by a ricocheting shot meant for a robber.": *
http://www.emcperth.ca/20110526/Lifestyle/Bank+robbers+riveted+Canada's+attention+in+the+'50s

* Edit to add
May 19, 1955. Toronto Dominion Bank at Dundas and McCaul.

I am not convinced that a concealed carry permit is required in Canada. In fact, it could cause the unecessary deaths of innocent people, and those are usually the young.

I'm not convinced it could or would be well administered, not am I convinced that safeguards as to WHO gets to carry would be stringent enough.

Jim Seggie said:
I am not convinced that a concealed carry permit is required in Canada. In fact, it could cause the unecessary deaths of innocent people, and those are usually the young.

I'm not convinced it could or would be well administered, not am I convinced that safeguards as to WHO gets to carry would be stringent enough.

Agree completely!

Nor do I have much faith in law enforcement....not the street cops but the bureaucrats.

Silverfire said:
Your math is a touch off, you're assuming that all bullets purchased are used in homicide. You need to remember to factor in legal purchases for hunting, firing range, etc. ;D

Noooooo. Really? :facepalm:

Jim Seggie said:

PMedMoe said:
Agree completely!

CCW could also be the cause of a lot less crime and personal injury just as well. Both sides of the equation can be stated with equal vigor and conviction. If you need convincing or educating, the Great Gun Control Debate is a good place to start as any.

I'm glad you have so much faith in those (us) that feel it is just another tool. Not some big scary boogieman. No one would be forced to CC, only those that wanted to and passed, probably, very stringent training and screening.

I have no heartache with those who don't wish to protect themselves from armed and dangerous people. However, no one should have the right to take that decision from me...........because they don't like it, are scared of the prospect or think it's not needed.

recceguy said:
CCW could also be the cause of a lot less crime and personal injury just as well. Both sides of the equation can be stated with equal vigor and conviction. If you need convincing or educating, the Great Gun Control Debate is a good place to start as any.

I'm glad you have so much faith in those (us) that feel it is just another tool. Not some big scary boogieman. No one would be forced to CC, only those that wanted to and passed, probably, very stringent training and screening.

I have no heartache with those who don't wish to protect themselves from armed and dangerous people. However, no one should have the right to take that decision from me...........because they don't like it, are scared of the prospect or think it's not needed.

What he said.

Jim Seggie said:

What he said. What she ( Moe ) said.

Like I said, now that I am retired and no longer respond to "unknown problem" calls inside people's homes, I no longer worry about what weapons they keep inside them. I could care less about that now.

We here on the internet all have our opinions. We can "educate" and entertain each other - even add and deduct points.
But, when it comes to advice on personal safety issues, I give the last word to our police and emergency services professionals.

mariomike said:
But, when it comes real advice on any personal safety issues, I give the last word to our police and emergency services professionals.

I think if you look at it that way, we wouldn't be allowed to do anything period. From a police officers shoes, he's going to be safer if all firearms were illegal and we had to use plastic cutlery. The reason we have police is so that we don't have our rights and safety tread upon, and the whole point is to be able to do that efficiently (and yes, safely for the police officer) with as few restrictions (laws) as is possible / reasonable.

Contrary to popular belief, no police force has supported the LGR (I know that the LGR is not the topic, but its relevant). That would be just as much of a conflict of interest as the CF saying "we don't support the mission in Afghanistan." Only various related associations have made those statements, and they happened to receive donations some companies that hold a financial interest in seeing the LGR continue.

Now, I had with an RCMP officer, a self-declared pencil pusher (now, because he's been in for a long time) about registering Restricted weapons. He thought the LGR was stupid, but didn't think registering Restricted weapons was... ???

His explanation was 1. If they go to a house and run a check and see they have Restricted weapons, it does raise a flag and give us that extra sense of good intel and 2. It prevents people that are only casual about owning restricted firearms from obtaining them. His example was the man sitting across the table from me, a law-abiding retired teacher who is now mayor of the town, who had previously said "I'd like to own a pistol but I couldn't be arsed to go through all the BS."

It's not a bold prediction to say that if Canada had CCWs, the police would certainly be able to search that up when going on a call to the persons house or pulling them over for speeding. Or that argument #2 would apply, because God knows you would have to go through an awful lot to get one (and rightfully so).

So my return questions for this RCMP officer to his points were

1. Why on earth does a law abiding citizen who has gone through all the proper channels that YOU decided deemed him "safe" with a firearm, suddenly raise red flags as if he is "unsafe." He has done EVERYTHING that YOU asked of him, and yet you are still discriminating against him. And they wonder why firearm owners and police have reached a divide in this country.

2. WHY is stopping "a law-abiding retired teacher who is now mayor of the town" from buying a pistol considered a success? Please explain to me how you have prevented a crime?

These two arguments from an RCMP officer to me, show a lot about where Canada stands with guns. A law-abiding citizen who legally owns a Restricted weapon is literally viewed the same as a criminal with a history of violent crime, and keeping firearms out of a good person's hands is considered successfully preventing a crime, as if the minute his hand got a hold of it he would suddenly become "a criminal with a history of violent crime."

To me, it's the anti-Americanism brought on by an inferiority complex that runs so deep in Canada that has driven us to this point. The US, IMO, is at the extreme end of the "lack of gun control policies" spectrum. So naturally we, as Canadians, had to do the Canadian thing and go right to the other extreme of the spectrum, and I really wonder if we'll ever get back to somewhere that makes any sense whatsoever. A CCW-type thing in Canada is a friggin' pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back